O’s Awarded the 33rd Pick

Frobby

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, esmd said:

Nice.  I'm confused though, why did we get a competitive balance pick?  We only made the QO to Trumbo, and then retained him.  We didn't give Wieters the QO, correct?

This has nothing to do with QO’s or free agents.    It’s a pick we get because we’re deemed a small market team.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This has nothing to do with QO’s or free agents.    It’s a pick we get because we’re deemed a small market team.   

And because our competitive balance pick last year was after the second round, so the teams after the second round last year switched with the teams after the first round. So we are after the first round this year.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

And because our competitive balance pick last year was after the second round, so the teams after the second round last year switched with the teams after the first round. So we are after the first round this year.

So does Dan trade it?

How much of Trumbo's salary does this cover?

11 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Could this pick + Trumbo get us Samarjza? Of course I would not like that, but I could see DD doing that. 

Depends on both teams valuations of those players, but a 2014 estimate has the picks between 30-35 worth about 13 million in surplus value. If you think Trumbo returns to career averages and Samardzija is worth pretty much what he’s being paid, that pick would be fair value to add in a Trumbo for Samardzija swap.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’d have to get an awful lot for the 33rd pick.    I doubt he trades it, but I guess you can’t rule it out.  

He's done it before and for less than what I would call "an awful lot".

I don't think he trades it but that is mostly because they can't be traded in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Yes, and please, Dan, do not trade that pick! 

From MLB website:

'" Unlike other Draft picks, Competitive Balance Draft picks can be traded. However, they can only be traded during the regular season and cannot be dealt simply in exchange for cash. Additionally, a Competitive Balance Draft pick can be traded only by the club to which it was awarded. In other words, the picks may be traded no more than once."

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's done it before and for less than what I would call "an awful lot".

I don't think he trades it but that is mostly because they can't be traded in the offseason.

Could the trade be said to be for a player to be named later that then becomes the competitive balance pick when the season starts? 

Archived