Gary Thorne must go.

bigbird

I didn't listen to the game on the radio, but what was Angels reaction when the O's went back on top 7-6? I bet it had excitement in it.

I don't care that Thorne seems to jump out of his seat on an opponents HR or whatever, but he seems a lot less thrilled when the O's do something. When the O's went on top 7-6, you would have thought we were down by 10, and just scored a couple meaningless runs. Just my opinion.

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over who's announcing the game.

Actually, with him announcing that way, it would seem that it would benefit the person more. When you think about it, if the team has just gone ahead, your own pure emotion would drive you, not anything from the tv. However, when the team goes behind, you would be down or mad, so the "enthusiasm" behind the call would seem even more bias towards the other team, when actually it should cancel out.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you folks crazy? Have you heard his calls when the Orioles rally or hit a homer? He takes his game up a decibel when an exciting moment impacts the game..as he should.

Besides, its really not his job to play down the opposing teams heroics or even dramatize ours.His job is to report and communicate, with energy and passion , what he sees. Im not saying he doesnt mangle some names..he surely does...Ricky Sexton? Remember? All Im saying is..he isnt paid to be a homer for anyone...and he isnt.Not by a long shot!

His enthusiasm doesn't bother me, so much as him doing a really poor job of calling the baseball game in front of him. He really doesn't seem to know where he is sometimes. Ron Burgudy anyone?

In one of many ongoing discussions about Hunter with Drektunes, last night I said that was basically my main complaint about Hunter. I could live with the depth perception thing, like I do with Manfra, but Hunter came across as a shill. As I said DrekChris last night, I think when Hunter was hired, he got it in his head that Jon Miller was ousted for a reason and decided that, by god, he wouldn't go that same route. Unfortunately, that means he would praise the unpraiseable, and try to make the absolute worst sound positive.

Must all our private conversations get aired on the OH? ;)

And I can see the shill thing to an extent about Hunter. And, for the eleventy-billionth time, I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday instead of Thorne. Nah, Thorme. Or maybe Therne. Can't be bothered to pronouce our player's names correctly? Now this is happening. Come on, man - they pay you to broadcast. Learn the names. They give you a Media guide. You don't have to buy a thing.

His enthusiasm doesn't bother me, so much as him doing a really poor job ofcalling the baseball game in front of him. He really doesn't seem to know where he is sometimes. Ron Burgudy anyone?
He does make a lot of mistakes, but they are usually things like he'll say a ball is hit hard to RF when its a bloop to the 2B. Small things. I think his voice his good, his insights aren't terrible, he asks his color guy good questions, and he sometimes makes me laugh.

I can certainly live with the mistakes he makes, even though they aren't exactly rare.

Must all our private conversations get aired on the OH? ;)

And I can see the shill thing to an extent about Hunter. And, for the eleventy-billionth time, I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday instead of Thorne. Nah, Thorme. Or maybe Therne. Can't be bothered to pronouce our player's names correctly? Now this is happening. Come on, man - they pay you to broadcast. Learn the names. They give you a Media guide. You don't have to buy a thing.

Gary Thorne doesn't read Media Guides. He puts him to his head and absorbs the material via osmosis.

He does make a lot of mistakes, but they are usually things like he'll say a ball is hit hard to RF when its a bloop to the 2B. Small things. I think his voice his good, his insights aren't terrible, he asks his color guy good questions, and he sometimes makes me laugh.

I can certainly live with the mistakes he makes, even though they aren't exactly rare.

The funny thing is, I find him very likeable. I just don't think he does a very good job calling Orioles games.

But I'm willing to put up with a lot if I like someone broadcasting. Heck, I don't mind Tom Davis and Dave Johnson. Well, Johnson can get on my nerves.

I like Manfra in the tv box though, wouldn't mind him doing more games, although it'd be at the expense of his pretty solid work in the radio booth.

OMG NOOOOOOOO!!! Manfra makes Thorne look like a God.

2 HUGE flaws:

1. Does exactly what the opening post accuses Thorne of: If an Oriole strikes out with bases loaded and 2 outs, it's a rousing and booming "SWING AND A MISS, HE GOT HIM!!". The same thing happens with an O on the mound, it's "swing and a miss, side retired BoSox strand three". He doesn't know his audience AT ALL (after ALL this time).

2. He spends some much time trying to paint pictures, that I ALWAYS know the result of the play by the crowd reaction SEVERAL seconds before he gets to it and stops talking about the shapes of the clouds during a fly ball.

Manfra is absolutely un-listen-able.

I wouldn't say Manfra is unlistenable, but I'd say he has two other huge flaws.

1. He's invariably behind the action, whether on radio or TV.

2. His depth perception is horrible. Simple flyballs to the shallow outfield are fair game for an excited build up call. Tolerable on TV, completely intolerable on radio.

I wouldn't say Manfra is unlistenable, but I'd say he has two other huge flaws.

1. He's invariably behind the action, whether on radio or TV.

2. His depth perception is horrible. Simple flyballs to the shallow outfield are fair game for an excited build up call. Tolerable on TV, completely intolerable on radio.

Your Number 1 is basically my number 2.

Your #2 was almost my #3! :D

I've got no problem with Manfra other than the fact that sometimes he doesn't really tell you what happened.

For instance, sometimes he'll describe "a hard smash to left field". OK -- was it a base hit? Was it caught? Sometimes you don't know until he tells you there's a guy leading off first or something. Maybe not the best example, but that's my only beef with him. Other than that he's pretty good.

Isn't it possible that Thorne is under some kind of subtle pressure to hype up the Red Sox? I mean, the organization has been shamelessly catering to Boston fans in every other way. Lot's of Red Sox fans watch MASN, no doubt - The same ones who come to Camden Yards to buy their favorite Red Sox jerseys and get O's fans kicked out of their own park.

I've got no problem with Manfra other than the fact that sometimes he doesn't really tell you what happened.

For instance, sometimes he'll describe "a hard smash to left field". OK -- was it a base hit? Was it caught? Sometimes you don't know until he tells you there's a guy leading off first or something. Maybe not the best example, but that's my only beef with him. Other than that he's pretty good.

That is a big issue for a play by play guy wouldn't you say?!??! I ALWAYS guess off of crowd reaction on batted balls, while I wait and wait. Fair or foul? Caught? Dropped? Homerun?? Can of corn?

OK, I can't hold this inside any longer.... THIS guy MUST go too . I am told that he is spending far too much time cozying up to the visiting team and fans.

<image src = "http://homerderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/bird.jpg">

Archived