Dan Duquette on O's Hot Stove at 6pm, Nov 30th

wildcard

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, weams said:

Made a few edits and cleaned up the text. Any chance you can re-post this version to the front page? TY

The team need to focus their efforts on adding to pitching staff. He likes the bullpen and thinks it's strong, but acknowledged they needed started pitching. He also wants to add left handed bats to the lineup. He mentioned Mullins and Santander as possible in-house solutions, but he's not sure if they're ready. Said they need to be "resourceful" in terms of improving the starting pitching. Feels it's important to have at least one left handed pitcher in the rotation because it offers a competitive advantage. Feels like they have the opportunity to add left handed bats at the DH and OF position. He also called out Chris Davis a bit in terms of needing to improve and play up the expectations they had for him when they resigned him. Said that Hays has the tools to play every day, but downplayed his power a bit. Questioned whether or not he needs more seasoning. He’s looking to add OF depth, in case Hays isn't ready. When asked, he said the odds are "good" that Britton will be on the opening day roster. When asked if the team was "all in" for 2018 he said he thinks that's what people want. He feels they have a good core group and joked that rebuilding "isn't much fun". Mentioned that other teams who have recently rebuilt had to lose 100+ games before they got good (i.e., Cubs and Astros). Said, jokingly, that he'd prefer to have lower draft picks and a good team then the opposite. 

Referring back to the 2017 season he mentioned things like Tillman’s struggles and Britton’s injuries as contributing the team’s slide in the second half. Also cited Gausman’s inconsistencies and Ubaldo and Miley’s struggles. Was noncommittal when asked about possibly bringing him back Tillman on a one year deal.

He’s happy with the power on the current team (mentioned Machado and Schoop in particular). Also mentioned the importance of “taking” pitches and how it benefits the other players on the team.

When asked about Gausman, he felt he started to come around and regain his form towards the end of the season. Said he needs he has the tools, but needs to be more consistent and to be a better fielder. He wants to see him put it together for a full season.

When asked about the arbitration eligible players, he said they were his “core players” so he didn’t think it would be an issue. Also singled out Schoop again as having a great season. Said he’s improved every year he’s been in the big leagues. Praised his work ethic. Also mentioned that Machado hit the ball harder more consistently than anyone else in the league and chalked up some of his struggles (early on) to the shift. Said that he was one of the most consistent players in the league. When asked about long term commitments to Schoop, he said it was a conversation for another day. When asked about Manny’s walk year (i.e., will he try to lock him up or trade him during the winter meetings), he said he doesn’t know the answer to that question. Went on to praise his “rare” combination of talent and skill. Said the team needs to decide if Manny will be a long term fixture on the team. When asked about Beckham, he said he liked his tools and that he showcased his talent after the trade. Used the word “average” to describe his defense. Said he probably had the third best year on the club in terms of production.

When asked what is holding up player activity in baseball in general (i.e., no big signings / trades yet this offseason) he said he thinks a lot of teams are waiting to see what happens with Otani and Darvish. Also said he felt like a lot clubs have done a better job lately of locking up their better players.

When asked about the Rule 5 draft, said they’d look to see who’s there and who might be able to help them (mentioned pitchers in particular). Felt like they signed a few “decent” minor league pitchers last week (mentioned Marinez). Also mentioned he felt they have good middle infield depth, like Tejada, and the depth of their minor leagues (Harvey, Stewart, Mullins, Hays). He mentioned Stewart several times. Said other teams are asking about Stewart. Also mentioned Scott and Wells (pitchers) and praised Wells ability to throw strikes

When asked about tendering contracts, he mentioned David Ortiz as a player who was non-tendered. Said he expects there to be some good players available, but doesn’t expect any Orioles to be non-tendered.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Made a few edits and cleaned up the text. Any chance you can re-post this version to the front page? TY

The team need to focus their efforts on adding to pitching staff. He likes the bullpen and thinks it's strong, but acknowledged they needed started pitching. He also wants to add left handed bats to the lineup. He mentioned Mullins and Santander as possible in-house solutions, but he's not sure if they're ready. Said they need to be "resourceful" in terms of improving the starting pitching. Feels it's important to have at least one left handed pitcher in the rotation because it offers a competitive advantage. Feels like they have the opportunity to add left handed bats at the DH and OF position. He also called out Chris Davis a bit in terms of needing to improve and play up the expectations they had for him when they resigned him. Said that Hays has the tools to play every day, but downplayed his power a bit. Questioned whether or not he needs more seasoning. He’s looking to add OF depth, in case Hays isn't ready. When asked, he said the odds are "good" that Britton will be on the opening day roster. When asked if the team was "all in" for 2018 he said he thinks that's what people want. He feels they have a good core group and joked that rebuilding "isn't much fun". Mentioned that other teams who have recently rebuilt had to lose 100+ games before they got good (i.e., Cubs and Astros). Said, jokingly, that he'd prefer to have lower draft picks and a good team then the opposite. 

Referring back to the 2017 season he mentioned things like Tillman’s struggles and Britton’s injuries as contributing the team’s slide in the second half. Also cited Gausman’s inconsistencies and Ubaldo and Miley’s struggles. Was noncommittal when asked about possibly bringing him back Tillman on a one year deal.

He’s happy with the power on the current team (mentioned Machado and Schoop in particular). Also mentioned the importance of “taking” pitches and how it benefits the other players on the team.

When asked about Gausman, he felt he started to come around and regain his form towards the end of the season. Said he needs he has the tools, but needs to be more consistent and to be a better fielder. He wants to see him put it together for a full season.

When asked about the arbitration eligible players, he said they were his “core players” so he didn’t think it would be an issue. Also singled out Schoop again as having a great season. Said he’s improved every year he’s been in the big leagues. Praised his work ethic. Also mentioned that Machado hit the ball harder more consistently than anyone else in the league and chalked up some of his struggles (early on) to the shift. Said that he was one of the most consistent players in the league. When asked about long term commitments to Schoop, he said it was a conversation for another day. When asked about Manny’s walk year (i.e., will he try to lock him up or trade him during the winter meetings), he said he doesn’t know the answer to that question. Went on to praise his “rare” combination of talent and skill. Said the team needs to decide if Manny will be a long term fixture on the team. When asked about Beckham, he said he liked his tools and that he showcased his talent after the trade. Used the word “average” to describe his defense. Said he probably had the third best year on the club in terms of production.

When asked what is holding up player activity in baseball in general (i.e., no big signings / trades yet this offseason) he said he thinks a lot of teams are waiting to see what happens with Otani and Darvish. Also said he felt like a lot clubs have done a better job lately of locking up their better players.

When asked about the Rule 5 draft, said they’d look to see who’s there and who might be able to help them (mentioned pitchers in particular). Felt like they signed a few “decent” minor league pitchers last week (mentioned Marinez). Also mentioned he felt they have good middle infield depth, like Tejada, and the depth of their minor leagues (Harvey, Stewart, Mullins, Hays). He mentioned Stewart several times. Said other teams are asking about Stewart. Also mentioned Scott and Wells (pitchers) and praised Wells ability to throw strikes

When asked about tendering contracts, he mentioned David Ortiz as a player who was non-tendered. Said he expects there to be some good players available, but doesn’t expect any Orioles to be non-tendered.

Yep. Thanks again. And it is than. Not then. 

My one takeaway, from both the words and tone of what was said, is that there won’t be any further extension talks with Manny.    Duquette actually said Manny would be motivated to have a great year because it’s his “option year.”

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My one takeaway, from both the words and tone of what was said, is that there won’t be any further extension talks with Manny.    Duquette actually said Manny would be motivated to have a great year because it’s his “option year.”

Dan clearly put the Manny negotiations in Peter's hands, which is really where it has always been.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To deciding if he is a long term fixture is important. If he bucks the xtension he should be dealt for the good of the club

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If you drive to Frederick.    Maybe Bowie in July.  

When your legal career ends or gets closer to a climax (oops), might you consider stand up comedy or writing for a comedic entity?  You and (sic) Can can be mirthsome!  :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, bobmc said:

When your legal career ends or gets closer to a climax (oops), might you consider stand up comedy or writing for a comedic entity?  You and (sic) Can can be mirthsome!  :ph34r:

You’re pretty humorous yourself, Bob!   When my legal career reaches its inevitable nadir, probably any day now, my retirement dream is to write a seriocomic novel that involves both law and baseball.   One of these days.....

DD sticking up for the organizations much criticized pick of DJ Stewart. A kind of “told you so”.  

So I guess we’re going to be on LH DH types like Smith, Cargo, Lind, Granderson etc...

Seems like he was tempering expectations for Hays, while stating the obvious that Mullins and Santander are still a AAA season away. 

We won’t be in on any big time FA SP. We are going to have to look at non tenders, trades, bounce back guys. Stuff we already knew. 

DD is pretty much a straight shooter. I also don’t think we’re in for any surprises this offseason. Maybe a trade.  We’re going to have a patchwork rotation and hope that a lot of hitters turn it around. 

33 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Did he actually say that or it that you projecting?

That’s him projecting, just like I’m projecting that he basically said no way we’re going to convince Manny to extend before he tests FA.    That’s not what he said, but that’s what I heard, loud and clear.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s him projecting, just like I’m projecting that he basically said no way we’re going to convince Manny to extend before he tests FA.    That’s not what he said, but that’s what I heard, loud and clear.  

You heard which: we aren't going after Manny or it's all in PA's hands?

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re pretty humorous yourself, Bob!   When my legal career reaches its inevitable nadir, probably any day now, my retirement dream is to write a seriocomic novel that involves both law and baseball.   One of these days.....

Could it somehow involve the owner of a baseball franchise, located in the Mid-Atlantic region...himself, actually a lawyer...finding out that he never filed paperwork correctly with the league office and ends up losing his team?

I think that could be kind of hilarious.

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DD sticking up for the organizations much criticized pick of DJ Stewart. A kind of “told you so”.  

So I guess we’re going to be on LH DH types like Smith, Cargo, Lind, Granderson etc...

Seems like he was tempering expectations for Hays, while stating the obvious that Mullins and Santander are still a AAA season away. 

We won’t be in on any big time FA SP. We are going to have to look at non tenders, trades, bounce back guys. Stuff we already knew. 

DD is pretty much a straight shooter. I also don’t think we’re in for any surprises this offseason. Maybe a trade.  We’re going to have a patchwork rotation and hope that a lot of hitters turn it around. 

Stewart is the LH bat they’re looking for, spend the money and/or trade assets on pitching. He’s going to have a strong showing in spring training and I’d prefer that there isn’t an aging defensive liability like Bruce or Cargo blocking him.

54 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Stewart is the LH bat they’re looking for, spend the money and/or trade assets on pitching. He’s going to have a strong showing in spring training and I’d prefer that there isn’t an aging defensive liability like Bruce or Cargo blocking him.

I'd rather get a veteran left handed bat than bet it all on Stewart before Spring Training. Let them go at it and keep the veteran, unless Stewart severely outplays them in the field and at the plate. Let Stewart go to Norfolk and play everyday instead of probably being a bench (or every 4th or 5th day) option.

But, if other teams are asking about him, putting a package together with Stewart + for a pitcher would be be good. Santander and Mullins are both switch hitters, which is more versatility. Santander has more power and a slightly better swing from the left side but can still do damage from the right, while Mullins is no slouch either. Mullins is better in the outfield from what I saw in person this year. Took better routes and has better "closing" speed. Santander has a better arm.

4 outfielders (Hays, Mullins, Stewart, and Santander) in the organization, plus whatever Gassaway, Ring, and Rifaela accomplish this year and Sparks in the GCL, there is a large surplus and if you can move someone for a big need...Do it.

Archived