Winter Meetings 2017

weams

15 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Given Manny's projected price tag and unwillingness to negotiate an extension at this stage, I suspect he will.  Just as long as it's not to the Yankees.

If we get a haul from the Yankees, I'd drive him to NY and wish him well.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

For those interested in a Tommy Hunter reunion he just got a 2 year 9 per from the Phillies. Some think ODays contract is bad....the cost of things in baseball has gone up substantially.

The Orioles need to face the reality of the changing economic situation 

O’Day’s contract’s not that bad and Hunter is a better pitcher than O’Day in 2017 and likely going forward.

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

O’Day’s contract’s not that bad and Hunter is a better pitcher than O’Day in 2017 and likely going forward.

Exactly, it only has one year left on it.  An O'Day/Matt Harvey swap is a more than fair offer......I'm hearing they want Brach, and that's a crazy deal.  Brach can get us a younger, cost controlled player.  Someone I had my eye on was Randall Grichuk with the Cardinals.  He could be our future middle-of-the-order power bat. 

MLBTR

• The Orioles are getting interest in outfield prospects Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins and DJ Stewart, executive VP Dan Duquette told MASNsports.com’s Steve Melewski.  It isn’t known if the O’s are open to dealing any of these youngsters, though Duquette did say that “ in our quest for pitching we have found that clubs like our outfielders,” which at least seems to hint that other clubs could be offering the Orioles some much-needed arms for the prospects.  Of the trio, it would surprising to see Hays dealt for anything less than a big return, as he is considered the top prospect in Baltimore’s system and would become a contributor at the MLB level as early as next season.

The Orioles have the most dysfunctional management in baseball. We always seem to either do nothing or make dumb trades or deals. Other than Angelos, who thought signing strikeout king Davis to a huge deal was a good move? Why not trade Machado and Britton last year when we could have gotten a king's ransom and rebuilt our farm? Why do we have issues with signing international players?

This organization is a complete mess and they are losing fans left and right out of frustration.

Just now, gtman55 said:

The Orioles have the most dysfunctional management in baseball. We always seem to either do nothing or make dumb trades or deals. Other than Angelos, who thought signing strikeout king Davis to a huge deal was a good move? Why not trade Machado and Britton last year when we could have gotten a king's ransom and rebuilt our farm? Why do we have issues with signing international players?

This organization is a complete mess and they are losing fans left and right out of frustration.

Rumor has it Buck.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

72 wins, tops. 

Come on Moose, can't we see how this plays out before we pronounce the season over....and a failure.  Sure, the Yankees are surging, and yes we are more than a few players short of stacking up.  But for the first time in almost a generation, we have some talent coming up, we have some pitchers that seem ready to excel and while seeing a path to success in 2018 requires some very rosy, prognosticating, doesn't it make sense to at least see the next 90 days before we throw in the towel.  Hell, I could see some trades that make make 72 wins difficult and still be exciting if it meant we were loading up on talent.....of course I see your side too....but I at least want to remain open to the possibilities that we Rise UP.

13 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

The Orioles have the most dysfunctional management in baseball. We always seem to either do nothing or make dumb trades or deals. Other than Angelos, who thought signing strikeout king Davis to a huge deal was a good move? 

More than half the posters here favored the Davis deal when it was made  (though I didn’t).    Hindsight is 20/20 and now you don’t see anyone defending that deal, because Davis seems to have slipped faster than anyone had reason to expect.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More than half the posters here favored the Davis deal when it was made  (though I didn’t).    Hindsight is 20/20 and now you don’t see anyone defending that deal, because Davis seems to have slipped faster than anyone had reason to expect.    

Yea, he's a year or two ahead of schedule.  I blame the sudden spike in called strike threes.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, he's a year or two ahead of schedule.  I blame the sudden spike in called strike threes.

So do I.    For whatever reason, his pitch recognition has gone to hell in a handbasket.  Or maybe loss of bat speed has him guessing more. I’m hoping he figures it out, but I’d be lying if I said I was optimistic.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So do I.    For whatever reason, his pitch recognition has gone to hell in a handbasket.  Or maybe loss of bat speed has him guessing more. I’m hoping he figures it out, but I’d be lying if I said I was optimistic.  

Thome had him switch to a heavier bat right?

Why not switch back?

His refusal to make adjustments is maddening.  (Unless you count that extremely stupid bunt attempt)

51 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Come on Moose, can't we see how this plays out before we pronounce the season over....and a failure.  Sure, the Yankees are surging, and yes we are more than a few players short of stacking up.  But for the first time in almost a generation, we have some talent coming up, we have some pitchers that seem ready to excel and while seeing a path to success in 2018 requires some very rosy, prognosticating, doesn't it make sense to at least see the next 90 days before we throw in the towel.  Hell, I could see some trades that make make 72 wins difficult and still be exciting if it meant we were loading up on talent.....of course I see your side too....but I at least want to remain open to the possibilities that we Rise UP.

Ok, what are we betting.

Archived