Buck on Buck

Frobby

“What are you going to say to [Manny] other than just be a sounding board? I don’t know how things are going to work out for any of our guys. He’s not the only one in the last year of a contract.”

Showalter drew laughter from the gathering at the mention of his own status.

“Someone asked me about it, and I said, how are we different than players?” Showalter said. “I know coaches who didn’t know what they were doing when the season ended.

“Coaches and managers, to some extent trainers, players, there’s a lot more people on our club, every club, that don’t know what life and the season and the game has in store for them each year. It’s an honor every day I get a chance to do this. As I get older, I realize how lucky I am, even more so. Where life and baseball takes me, I’ll deal with another time. Right now, my focus is on the 2018 season and see if we can get back to competing.”

Showalter wants to manage beyond his contract with the Orioles that’s set to expire next winter.

“Sure, sure,” he said.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/showalter-on-machado-trade-talks-jones-and-more.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, oriole said:

Buck brought a winning atmosphere. Does he want to stick around now that that has ended for the near future? 

Managing some of the younger kids we are bringing up could be great for him. Hays, Sisco, etc. 

Have to think outside of the obvious,  winning, having young talent and seeing them grow is an enjoyable part of the job.  

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I have no reason to want to push Buck out, especially if we're rebuilding. I want Dan gone. 

Dan and Buck are both the best that we can get. What other GM is going to grind away daily on the waiver wire while not being able to spend money internationally or on big time FA SP. Plus you have some roid head like Brady going behind your back and giving O’day, Davis, and Trumbo whatever they want. 

Im sure the GM’s are lining up to come to a situation like this. 

People just don’t remember 2010-2011. We couldn’t find a manager or GM. We were getting turned down by every assistant GM. Remember there are only 30(?) GM jobs in MLB. Plus we got turned down by Bobby freaking Valentine. 

Our next GM is Brady. Some guy that ran off Wallace and Chit because Mike Wright had a 7 ERA and they were too tough on him. I mean Wright is only damn near 30 now. 

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I have no reason to want to push Buck out, especially if we're rebuilding. I want Dan gone. 

I am not ready to see him gone.  I do not think he gets enough credit for the work he has done.  Essentially dismissing the good as being the work of AM.  That said, don't you think it would be prudent to at the very least get to March?  I most certainly agree that his legacy is going to be majorly affected by the next 90 days.   It is possible I join you in wanting him gone.  But I would say, I am ok with seeing what we do till March and I believe it will work out better than some, and certainly better than you.  We will see....

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I am not ready to see him gone.  I do not think he gets enough credit for the work he has done.  Essentially dismissing the good as being the work of AM.  That said, don't you think it would be prudent to at the very least get to March?  I most certainly agree that his legacy is going to be majorly affected by the next 90 days.   It is possible I join you in wanting him gone.  But I would say, I am ok with seeing what we do till March and I believe it will work out better than some, and certainly better than you.  We will see....

Yeah give him until the end of the season when his contract runs up, but don't renew. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Dan and Buck are both the best that we can get. What other GM is going to grind away daily on the waiver wire while not being able to spend money internationally or on big time FA SP. Plus you have some roid head like Brady going behind your back and giving O’day, Davis, and Trumbo whatever they want. 

Im sure the GM’s are lining up to come to a situation like this. 

People just don’t remember 2010-2011. We couldn’t find a manager or GM. We were getting turned down by every assistant GM. Remember there are only 30(?) GM jobs in MLB. Plus we got turned down by Bobby freaking Valentine. 

Our next GM is Brady. Some guy that ran off Wallace and Chit because Mike Wright had a 7 ERA and they were too tough on him. I mean Wright is only damn near 30 now. 

I am just not sure how much longer Dan and Buck can coexist. That isn’t meant as a criticism of Dan either.  

21 hours ago, 24fps said:

If I were you, I wouldn't be in Dan's way out of town at 12:01 on the morning his contract expires.

Getting a GM gig isn’t easy, and as wildcard pointed out, those jobs are largely going to younger guys.   So Dan may not be as anxious to leave as you think.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Getting a GM gig isn’t easy, and as wildcard pointed out, those jobs are largely going to younger guys.   So Dan may not be as anxious to leave as you think.  

Obviously none of us know the level of his dissatisfaction, but I would be very surprised if Dan hasn't been laying the groundwork for his next job for at least two years and it's not in Baltimore.  As you say, finding a GM gig isn't easy - I've made that point several times in other threads - but neither is working for PA especially with Buck and Brady complicating things.  It looks to me like DD's had one hand tied behind his back from the beginning, but he's now re-established his credibility.  If he has to wait a year for his next gig, that might be preferable to 3-5 years in an unsatisfying situation.

If control of the franchise is shifting to one of the sons that might change matters, perhaps greatly, but Dan's no longer a beggar and if I were him I wouldn't act like one.  If he stays, I predict it will be on much better terms, possibly with a better title and responsibility commensurate with what Toronto was offering.  Personally I would be happy with that but I don't expect it.  I think he's gone with a song in his heart and a smile on his lips.  And I wouldn't blame him.

FWIW I don't buy the age argument unless he's creating and/or marketing to a young demographic.  That's only a small part of his job and he can hire people to handle that.  Seriously can we dispense with the age business?  And if we must, can we at least credit Dan with being a prototype and able to remember 25 years back.

Archived