Season ticket holders......are you renewing?

ThomasTomasz

So I have a question for season-ticket holders, will you be renewing?   If you are, what is keeping you with your tickets?  If not, what is finally pushing you over the edge?

My personal story- I loved attending games in the mid 90's as a kid with my dad.  We stopped going to games around the start of the dark ages.  He and I both started going back to games in 2013 when it looked like the Orioles were back on track as a franchise, and while he moved away for his retirement, I bought a 29 game package for the 2014 season in section 56, and have faithfully renewed that every year.  I've always ended up going to more than 29 games as well.  

However, I just can not stomach another dark age.  With Duquette airing some of the dirty laundry- comments about how the organization doesn't believe in the posting system, to not having contact with Manny's agent for a long-term deal for years- along with the "promise" of competing, only to get cold feet at the realization that the pitching upgrades are "too expensive".......I don't think I can do it anymore.  

We severely lack in benefits.  We have a slapped together "season ticket appreciation day" and can exchange tickets dollar for dollar.  Just as an example for the Pirates, Mets and Yankees, you can have on-field batting practice during the off-season or when the team is out of town.  Specifically with the Pirates, their season ticket holders are offered 12 events to choose from.  The Redskins with their rewards points can get you on the field during warm-ups, a spot in the post game news conference, an on-field combine run by current and former players and the chance to be in the tunnel when the players come out, amongst other things.  The value for season-tickets just isn't there when we are probably a season at best away from going back to mediocrity.  

Given that lack of benefits, as well as the Nationals guaranteeing Futures, Home Run Derby and ASG tickets if you have a Full or Half season plan and sign up for two years, I might be getting their tickets for this year.  I will never, ever root for the Nats- I'm too stuck with my teams to ever switch them- but I can go back to not buying tickets, merchandise, etc like I did before, and try to enjoy as many games there as I can.....or just sell them.  I am still not decided on any of this, which is why I'm looking to see what others are doing. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you get two years of half season plans to a team you don't root for?  All-star tickets can be had on the secondary market. Also I don't watch all-star games as I find them boring.  I am not sure why you need the team to spend a ton of money to enjoy going to the games. If you enjoy going to the games by seasons tickets to the Orioles if you don't enjoy going to the games don't.  I had season tickets before but didn't renew when I had a child.  Players signed or not signed has zero influence on my decision. 

I am at the point in my life where I actually have the disposable income to get a 29 game package (plus if I really wanted to). Only been waiting on one thing, to see what happens with Manny. Safe to say I will not be purchasing if he leaves, until new ownership is in place. I might not be alive by the time we see another Machado walk out of that dugout, if we ever do. 

Of course I'm renewing.  Sounds like I might get a few rows closer to the field if this is a big "flight" year! Lol.

I like the game and love to experience it live.  Now, my kids are getting into it....which is awesome.  We've gone to Fanfest....they've got a collection of autographs and giveaways....they've had players and coaches throw balls to them at games....kids opening day....Boog's Turkey with horseradish, onions, and the orange sauce with a cold Stella. Why on earth would I not renew that?

In all seriousness, what did you expect them to do this offseason that they haven't done?  You're going to get 2 years for a team you don't root for because they have better benefits?  Whaaaaat? 

Where are your seats?

I expect to keep my tickets for 2018.     What I do after that depends on how the team and its near term future looks at the end of this season.    I’d never stop going to games, but I might like to have the flexibility of going when I feel like it rather than being committed in advance.    

I was a 13 game owner for 6 seats when my kids were young.  As they began playing baseball and softball themselves it became hard to get to 13 games as a family of 6, and dropping in number didn't make sense because when we could go, we all wanted to go.  Still see as many games as possible and I was able to take my son to a game, just the two of us this year.  He got a few balls, we got some great pics and we will continue to do that as much as possible...because, it's the Orioles.

Because I saw Frank, and Brooks, and Jim and Earl and Elrod and Al and Cal and Nick and Mussina and Flanny and AJ and Manny and so so many others.  The uniform says Orioles and they are the only team I have followed my whole life.  I simply do not know another way. 

I have already renewed thanks to paying for "playoff" tickets last year that the Orioles didn't even bother to print and send to me.  :mad:

I think my agent may be gone though, since he hasn't responded to my question I posed to him a week ago.

As for the outlook of the team, there are two types of fans.  Those who care only about the current season and thus will be pissed if we trade Manny, but also will be pissed next year when he leaves and we don't "pay the man."  Then there are the fans who look at the total picture, know Manny will be gone next year, and thus want to get as much as we can now before he leaves us with a bag of balls in our hand.  If we don't trade him, this group of fans will be pissed.

So, the way I see it, if you trade him, you piss off half the fanbase now.  If you don't trade him, you piss off the ENTIRE fanbase in 2019 when he goes elsewhere and we get nothing.

Seems like a no-brainer to trade him now, unless of course the Front Office thinks we can actually compete with a 2 man rotation going against the New Republic of NY and the always contending Red Sox.  

43 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I have already renewed thanks to paying for "playoff" tickets last year that the Orioles didn't even bother to print and send to me.  :mad:

I think my agent may be gone though, since he hasn't responded to my question I posed to him a week ago.

As for the outlook of the team, there are two types of fans.  Those who care only about the current season and thus will be pissed if we trade Manny, but also will be pissed next year when he leaves and we don't "pay the man."  Then there are the fans who look at the total picture, know Manny will be gone next year, and thus want to get as much as we can now before he leaves us with a bag of balls in our hand.  If we don't trade him, this group of fans will be pissed.

So, the way I see it, if you trade him, you piss off half the fanbase now.  If you don't trade him, you piss off the ENTIRE fanbase in 2019 when he goes elsewhere and we get nothing.

Seems like a no-brainer to trade him now, unless of course the Front Office thinks we can actually compete with a 2 man rotation going against the New Republic of NY and the always contending Red Sox.  

Is your guy still listed at the bottom of this page?

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/tickets/season-tickets

9 hours ago, cimota said:

Why would you get two years of half season plans to a team you don't root for?  All-star tickets can be had on the secondary market. Also I don't watch all-star games as I find them boring.  I am not sure why you need the team to spend a ton of money to enjoy going to the games. If you enjoy going to the games by seasons tickets to the Orioles if you don't enjoy going to the games don't.  I had season tickets before but didn't renew when I had a child.  Players signed or not signed has zero influence on my decision. 

It's more of supporting the terrible way ownership is conducting things, and a lot of Duquette's recent comments have made me see the light.......again. It's almost like he is trying to distance himself from the Orioles decisions so he can be a viable employee on the market next year.  I love this club and could never envision myself rooting for another team, but I can control how much money I spend on them.  

You are right about the secondary market.  Maybe I budget for that, and put the rest of my money into going to other stadiums this year.  I've only been to Camden Yards, Nats Park and Marlins Park.  Maybe I can fit in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and both of the New York stadiums this year.  Or Cincy or Cleveland.  

3 hours ago, CP0861 said:

Of course I'm renewing.  Sounds like I might get a few rows closer to the field if this is a big "flight" year! Lol.

I like the game and love to experience it live.  Now, my kids are getting into it....which is awesome.  We've gone to Fanfest....they've got a collection of autographs and giveaways....they've had players and coaches throw balls to them at games....kids opening day....Boog's Turkey with horseradish, onions, and the orange sauce with a cold Stella. Why on earth would I not renew that?

In all seriousness, what did you expect them to do this offseason that they haven't done?  You're going to get 2 years for a team you don't root for because they have better benefits?  Whaaaaat? 

Where are your seats?

If the Orioles wanted to sell more seats, they would have a better benefits package for their season ticket holders.  We are in the Stone Age as far as those are concerned.  Teams like the Pirates are already letting their guys upgrade and buy more tickets.  I've never been offered to upgrade, and we start renewals in February.   My seats are in 56, I'm about halfway up and on the aisle.  I love my seats, pretty close with the guy next to me and I've got the best beer guy in the house. 

I totally get your experiences, especially with your kids.  I'm not at that area of my life right now, but like I said in the first post, my best memories are attending games with my dad.  Now, I love going early for BP, I give baseballs away in CF to a lot of kids, take friends of mine to games, and I love taking those who haven't been to baseball/Orioles games before.  But I just can't go through another dark age.  Sure, I might still come to a game or two (gotta keep the bobblehead collection going, and I love those early access social media days) but it's going to be a struggle.  

I actually expected them to get some sort of starting pitcher that was worth something.  We actually have some decent prospects to move, and if the club was serious about wanting to compete, then you move those prospects for the players.  One of my favorite sayings is "Prospects are cool, parades are cooler."  Now, I also get where we are now as a fan, because we know the Orioles aren't bringing in Darvish to make up for Stanton and whatever the Red Sox are going to do.  The only way to keep me as a fan is to either extend Manny now, or do this rebuild this off-season, and do it right.  

2 hours ago, mcgraw238 said:

I do not plan on renewing my tickets for 2018. I made that decision about mid-way through last season. There's just too many dysfunctional things about the organization for me to re-up for another 29 game plan. 

Agreed, and Duquette's comments at the winter meetings is almost airing dirty laundry right now.  I just don't understand not pursuing every available route that is available to build a roster.  

Archived