Will Fans Believe DD Got it Right?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Depends on the return.   It also depends on the fan.   The casual fan will likely be upset no matter the return.

You are probably right. I think the casual fan sees this and says "They're trading their best players away!" No matter how good the prospects are, if there isn't a recognizable name involved, the casual fan thinks it's a bad move.

Clapdiddy is correct, I think many casual fans will be upset.  Two of my four kids said they would switch teams and go with Manny.  (Sacrilege).  But there are fans, some of whom are here, that stay pretty negative no matter what.  Those guys will bemoan the haul missed by not trading earlier, no matter the return.  I do believe, that regardless of return, this is different than the Bedard deal in that Manny is a very rare talent and losing him will hurt.  I find myself resigned to this though and yet I am encouraged by the news of these bids and have even begun to tell myself that we can still sign him next year for a whopping number.  Oh, and yes, the Orange Kool-Aid is freely flowing this am.

I would still take back a large salary from Yankees or anyone else if it made the haul better.  And of course I am eagerly awaiting the announcement of the Annual Rule V selection.

It's great to be an Orioles fan and if a Machado move is made, I hope that an announcement comes very soon on the fates of GM and Manager.  Tremendous opportunity here to be a major league team again.

Well, it's a no-brainer if the ChiSox flip Manny to the Yankees, they'll come out ahead.   Should that happen, then no, Dan didn't get it right.  Moreover, no, the Orioles did NOT get any of this right reportedly not negotiating for two years.

Now that we're selling as a one-year rental, this whole thing is a crap sandwich.  I don't care how they dress it up, it still leaves a terrible taste in the mouth.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, it's a no-brainer if the ChiSox flip Manny to the Yankees, they'll come out ahead.   Should that happen, then no, Dan didn't get it right.  Moreover, no, the Orioles did NOT get any of this right reportedly not negotiating for two years.

Now that we're selling as a one-year rental, this whole thing is a crap sandwich.  I don't care how they dress it up, it still leaves a terrible taste in the mouth.

I don’t get the anger over the lack of negotiating. If the two sides aren’t close there is no point of negotiations. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t get the anger over the lack of negotiating. If the two sides aren’t close there is no point of negotiations. 

I think we really do not know what it means.  Anger is understandable, but we do not know how the conversation went  two plus years ago when Manny was coming off an injury.

If it was:  Manny we would like to talk about locking you up and the answer was:  I want to see how I do healthy.  Well we should have checked back.

If it was:  Manny we would like to talk about locking you up and the answer was:  I'm gonna be a Yankee...well that is different.

I think my opinion, is that we asked and Manny said something like I'd be happy to stay but I am going to sign a record breaking deal.  And the O's decided they would not and didn't want to share that info.  Makes sense except, I would have paid it.  Of course I would not have signed Davis for more than 5/90, but it aint my money and it appears now that Davis would have been a bad signing even at that number....just less bad.

I do hope that in a perfect world, Manny is or has been asked:  What would it take to make you an Oriole for life? But we just do not know a) if he has or b) what his answer was. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The Nationals, who by design are getting the short end of the MASN trough, can afford to talk long-term with Harper, but the Orioles can't do the same with Manny?  Damn straight I'm angry.  

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I think we really do not know what it means.  Anger is understandable, but we do not know how the conversation went  two plus years ago when Manny was coming off an injury.

If it was:  Manny we would like to talk about locking you up and the answer was:  I want to see how I do healthy.  Well we should have checked back.

If it was:  Manny we would like to talk about locking you up and the answer was:  I'm gonna be a Yankee...well that is different.

I think my opinion, is that we asked and Manny said something like I'd be happy to stay but I am going to sign a record breaking deal.  And the O's decided they would not and didn't want to share that info.  Makes sense except, I would have paid it.  Of course I would not have signed Davis for more than 5/90, but it aint my money and it appears now that Davis would have been a bad signing even at that number....just less bad.

I do hope that in a perfect world, Manny is or has been asked:  What would it take to make you an Oriole for life? But we just do not know a) if he has or b) what his answer was. 

Dan never said he didn’t talk to Manny’s agent. He said they weren’t negotiating.  

Jon Heyman reported awhile ago about the last negotiations.I believe he said they were 12M apart. 

At the end of the day Dan can’t negotiate with someone unless the owner is willing to play ball.  

I’ll judge it all when I see what happens, and not before.    But I’m really disappointed that we didn’t lock Manny up years ago when we had the chance.     I can almost guarantee that whatever Manny’s last demand was would have been far less than he’s going to get now.    Do I blame it on Duquette?     I don’t know enough about how those negotiations went and who was involved to have an opinion on that.   

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The Nationals, who by design are getting the short end of the MASN trough, can afford to talk long-term with Harper, but the Orioles can't do the same with Manny?  Damn straight I'm angry.  

It’s the owner. Dan can’t negotiate with Monopoly money.  

The entire decision of what to offer Manny and whether or not to trade him is the owner. Now they have allowed Dan to deal him and they will get the best deal they can. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I’ll judge it all when I see what happens, and not before.    But I’m really disappointed that we didn’t lock Manny up years ago when we had the chance.     I can almost guarantee that whatever Manny’s last demand was would have been far less than he’s going to get now.    Do I blame it on Duquette?     I don’t know enough about how those negotiations went and who was involved to have an opinion on that.   

My sentiments exactly.  

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but this should have all been figured out last offseason.

Archived