Is Dan Waiting on Machado Before Doing Anything Else?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not worried about the 14 games Schoop started at 3B in 2014, all but one of which were in the first month of his rookie year.    Schoop has learned a lot about Major League Baseball since then. He has the skill set to be a solid 3B, in my opinion, if that’s what fits the team’s needs.   

As I said, I do think Schoop could be a good 3B. I just don't want to risk it affecting his bat learning to become one. Maybe it won't affect it. But, he's not a liability at 2b (even with his range) and I don't think it's in the Orioles best interest to risk it affecting him offensively. Maybe later on if they extend him. But if they don't, they need to trade him. And I think he holds more value as a 2B.

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Read this. 

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/12/18/myriad-orioles-thoughts-machado-angelos-consensus-factor-manny-dominoes-market-picking-throughout-game/

One of Angelos’ top advisors told him the Britton trade wasn’t good enough and so it was killed. 

Excellent.  Thanks for sharing.  This is why I don't think a Machado trade will come together as soon as some think it will.

I’ve long written that I don’t think owner Peter Angelos is a meddler – at least not in the years I’ve covered him or to the extent that he is painted. He is an owner and has veto power, like many owners. The difference, however, is he solicits opinions from so many places — as attorneys often do — and that vetting can significantly slow the decision-making process in the rapid-fire world of baseball.

That’s key here because I’ve been told the organization believes Angelos could give his approval for a Machado deal to anywhere – including the rival New York Yankees – but a lot depends on who delivers those recommendations and whether everyone is on the same page. If one Angelos’ trusted confidant — and there are several – thinks it’s a bad idea, then it’s less likely to happen.

I’ve long written that I don’t think owner Peter Angelos is a meddler – at least not in the years I’ve covered him or to the extent that he is painted. He is an owner and has veto power, like many owners. The difference, however, is he solicits opinions from so many places — as attorneys often do — and that vetting can significantly slow the decision-making process in the rapid-fire world of baseball.

That’s key here because I’ve been told the organization believes Angelos could give his approval for a Machado deal to anywhere – including the rival New York Yankees – but a lot depends on who delivers those recommendations and whether everyone is on the same page. If one Angelos’ trusted confidant — and there are several – thinks it’s a bad idea, then it’s less likely to happen.

Multiple sources told me that’s what killed the Zach Britton-to-Houston deal in July. Angelos didn’t have a firm opinion on it and it looked like it would happen. But at least one of his top advisers balked at the overall package because it didn’t contain enough top-shelf and/or healthy prospects. That opinion was relayed, and, ultimately, the deal was shot down.

The first item and the second two simply don't agree.  Meddling by definition is hampering the people hired from doing the job they are hired to do.

Edit to add that the first three paragraphs are from the Article Eddie posted from Baltimore Baseball...

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

The first item and the second two simply don't agree.  Meddling by definition is hampering the people hired from doing the job they are hired to do.

Well, it is the Christmas season, so I'll be generous to Peter.  One could read that as saying that Peter doesn't want to be the one deciding over multiple options.  He wants you to sell him on just one option, that will not wither under his cross-examination.

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, it is the Christmas season, so I'll be generous to Peter.  One could read that as saying that Peter doesn't want to be the one deciding over multiple options.  He wants you to sell him on just one option, that will not wither under his cross-examination.

So, I will ask a follow up...If Peter is not meddling, is it fair to say he has done a poor job of stacking advisors who can intellectually agree on a direction and work together to achieve it?

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Read this. 

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/12/18/myriad-orioles-thoughts-machado-angelos-consensus-factor-manny-dominoes-market-picking-throughout-game/

One of Angelos’ top advisors told him the Britton trade wasn’t good enough and so it was killed. 

Anyone else think that top advisor's name rhymes with Brady Anderson?

14 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So, I will ask a follow up...If Peter is not meddling, is it fair to say he has done a poor job of stacking advisors who can intellectually agree on a direction and work together to achieve it?

We're talking about Peter Angelos, who in the past has trusted people like Rick Dempsey to snitch for *ahem* advise him.  Also, the Britton trade would hardly be the first that Angelos quashed; the history on that goes back over 20 years.  In any group on a decision as big as this one, finding 100% consensus is pretty difficult.  Having even one dissenter be enough to kill a deal, well, that is a decision model designed to drag out the process and very frustrating to all involved.  My point, I guess not clearly explained, was not whether or not that is meddling, but that I don't see any contradiction in what Connolly wrote.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:19 PM, Bahama O's Fan said:

Is he just moving at his usual pace or is he actually waiting to see what happens before making any other moves?

Yes. Every off-season there is something we are waiting for then it is too late to do anything. Whether it is waiting for the market to "set itself," waiting to see if Dan is joining the Jays, waiting to see what happens to Davis, or waiting for a Machado trade...but again, most of this falls on the owner.

On 12/17/2017 at 8:46 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

If at this point none of the offers are what you want, then perhaps it's time to give the teams your final offer and walk away. Keep him till the trade deadline and see what happens.

Then we will be offered even less. The closer Manny gets to free agency, the less teams will be willing to give up for a few month rental. The Whitesox would no longer be interested because there opportunity to sign him long term will be greatly reduced.

This needs to get done now.

Archived