Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, theocean said:

Mike Ilitch of the Detroit Tigers was always someone who was willing to give a big contract to a top free agent. His passing has resulted in one less aggressive owner to get the market started. 

Also other teams like the Dodgers are trying to shed salary to get out of the luxury tax.  The Yankees have their sights set towards next year when Manny and Harper will be free agents.  Plus their major move was the Stanton trade.  

The Angels got Otani and traded for Upton, they are not likely to make a major free agent signing.  

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also other teams like the Dodgers are trying to shed salary to get out of the luxury tax.  The Yankees have their sights set towards next year when Manny and Harper will be free agents.  Plus their major move was the Stanton trade.  

The Angels got Otani and traded for Upton, they are not likely to make a major free agent signing.  

And Kinsler.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The MLBTR had a link to another article, and there was no mention of the Orioles being the culprit.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/passan-broader-forces-driving-slow-free-agency.html

That article is more than two weeks old. The market has moved a bit since then. Still slow, though, and that's likely due to Manny.

Scott Boras represents three of the top 4 free agents, (JD Martinez, Hosmer and Arrieta), and he'll wait as long as it takes to do for his current clients what he has already done for the likes of Prince Fielder and Chris Davis. It will be interesting to see if teams and other agents stop waiting for the top free agents to sign or if Boras can control a bottleneck that has already slowed the off-season to a crawl.

No wonder all the action has been for middle relievers and third tier starters.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't generally give neg rep, but you were making a joke about multiple people dying and many more being seriously injured the day before, I think it's fair.

My apologies, I hadn't heard about deaths, when I had initially heard about the derailment.

Thankfully the death count wasn't what they had thought it was going to be.

Archived