Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

So Gonzalez is still available.  

Saunders to the Pirates.  Maybin to the Marlins.

Correct

The Rockies have continued to keep in touch with Scott Boras in regards to free agent outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, general manager Jeff Bridich told Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on Sunday (Twitter link). Ian Desmond, Gerardo Parra and David Dahl rank as the Rockies’ most prominent corner outfielders at the moment, but all three come with question marks. Desmond was subpar last year, Parra is out several weeks after undergoing hand surgery (and hasn’t been particularly good as a Rockie) and Dahl didn’t play in the majors at all in 2017 on account of a rib cage injury. Meanwhile, Gonzalez posted the worst season of his career – which helps explain why he’s still available – though he went on a tear in September (.377/.484/.766 in 93 plate appearances) to end on a high note.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Really poor return. Not that Dickerson is that great, but an average regular making 6M and controllable. The return is the Pirates version of Trevor Craport, Daniel Hudson (reliever making more than he'd get on the open market), and cash.

14 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Really poor return. Not that Dickerson is that great, but an average regular making 6M and controllable. The return is the Pirates version of Trevor Craport, Daniel Hudson (reliever making more than he'd get on the open market), and cash.

I get what the Rays are trying to do but I'm underwhelmed with the returns I have seen.

7 minutes ago, esmd said:

I posted this on the Dickerson DFA thread, but surely the O's could've put together a more attractive deal and gotten Dickerson, rather than sign the immortal Colby Rasmus.

Sure, except that Dickerson is worse than Rasmus.  He's a LF/DH only hitter.  Rasmus can play any of the outfield positions and has spent most of his career in CF with good defensive ratings.  And, Rasmus only cost money, not (even if marginal) players.  I'm glad the Orioles didn't consider this for more than a few moments.  For anyone that thinks Rasmus wasn't a good signing, Dickerson would be worse.

19 minutes ago, esmd said:

I posted this on the Dickerson DFA thread, but surely the O's could've put together a more attractive deal and gotten Dickerson, rather than sign the immortal Colby Rasmus.

The O’s want someone who can play all three outfield spots.    Rasmus can, Dickerson can’t.   

Archived