Adam Jones Speaking out on Twitter.

Grt 2BA FL Gator

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If Adam Jones is dissatisfied with the team that has paid him millions to play the game, then fine...play out the year and go see how many teams want an aging centerfielder to still be playing center.   

He owes his employer the respect to not berate him publically.  If I did it, I would be fired.  Adam Jones is not a fan.  He is not a paying customer.  We can call Angelos and Duquette whatever we want on Twitter or on a board.  We don’t get paid millions as an employee of Peter Angelos.   His tirade will make it that much easier to not overpay for a contract renewal that would primarily be based not on future ability but on sentimentality.   

I beg to differ.  Adam Jones does not owe a thing to the Baltimore Orioles.  He has given enough.  He has been patient and a remarkable leader, both on and off the field.  I see it entirely different than you. If this man, who has always said and done the right thing, is willing to say this, you know its bad, probably much worse than we know. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I beg to differ.  Adam Jones does not owe a thing to the Baltimore Orioles.  He has given enough.  He has been patient and a remarkable leader, both on and off the field.  I see it entirely different than you. If this man, who has always said and done the right thing, is willing to say this, you know its bad, probably much worse than we know. 

I can only imagine how bad it is. An owner that won't allow his GM to do their job. A GM that probably doesn't even know who or what he really is, considering Buck and Brady seem to have as much if not more authority than he does. Why would any FA want to sign here. If I'm Manny, I'm hoping to get traded.

56 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

We have spent (spent poorly usually) but Im not talking about spending at the FA level.  Successful teams work with the market they have.  He has done everything a leader can do.  Management and ownership has not done the same.  While the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers spend at the top they also do every single thing possible to make their team successful.  They reload in every possible market and spend every dollar they can on scouting and development.  Its not just about Free Agent spending.  

When those teams make mistakes (like we did in Ubaldo, likely Davis, etc), they make the moves needed to unload some of the contract and replace the prospects they have to move as quickly as possible.  Everyone top to bottom is replaceable, and they move anyone, player or manager as needed to win.  Thats what I mean about squandering his prime.  We had a nice run with this team, it was great, it was amazing.  But in the end the players walk and we don;t have a thing to show for it.  They have failed the fans and the face of their team at every turn. 

The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, shoot let me just list every team that wins year after year doesn't have "our guys" they do everything they can to build a winning team.   

Come on... stop the pity party.  The O's lined themselves up for a great run.  They made a huge move and got Andrew Miller.  Injuries derailed their season.  That might have been this squad's shot.  Besides, there's no guarantee that throwing money around delivers championships.  

Again, Jones has been a great leader... but his "prime" was hardly squandered

2 hours ago, MikeAD said:

You are right.  We do see it differently.  If Adam Jones believes he does not "owe a thing to the Baltimore Orioles" then that is the problem I guess.  Players who are unbelievably fortunate who somehow have the idea they don't owe anybody anything, least of all their employer.   I actually do not believe Adam really believes this.  You may hold this opinion about the Orioles, but I really doubt Adam does.  On the other hand,  if I had been Chris Davis or Trumbo and he shoved another one of those daggone pies in my face, I probably would have told him where I was going to put it if he did it again.  lol.   And, who knows, maybe they did.  

Adam is certainly entitled to his opinion, and he has been an excellent Oriole player who has been well compensated for his efforts but I don't see Adam as always right,  and Peter Angelos as the embodiment of evil.   Sorry, we do just see it differently.   As a baseball fan, I prefer that players play the game and not get out there and whine about the management on Twitter.  But that is just me.   

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

And phillyOs119 likes him!

I do, he's a generic brand Jackie Bradley Jr. 

He's not MLB ready though, he really crushed AA pitching at first but pitchers adjusted to his weaknesses and he didn't respond immediately.  He had just skipped A+ ball and he battled hamstring injuries all season, so I don't knock him too much for it.

Age 22 in AA, top lines are Cedric Mullins, bottom are JBJ.

LD        GB       FB    IFFB    HR/FB   Pull  Center  Opp    Swinging Strike

19.0 % 41.5 % 39.5 % 20.4 % 13.3 % 49.6 % 23.8 % 26.6 %

9.0 %

15.1 % 45.8 % 39.1 % 21.4 % 8.6 % 42.9 % 29.4 % 27.7 % 8.7 %

BA/OPS/SLG

.265 .319 .460
.271 .373 .437

JBJ had better on-base skills and arm, Mullins has more pop.  JBJ was a better prospect obviously, he was ranked #31 in baseball by BA after his age 22 season, and Mullins is not that kind of guy.  Only quoting stats because I didn't scout JBJ when he was in the minors so I can't compare looks apples to apples.  I think Mullins as a poor man's JBJ is a good comp though.

23 hours ago, ScGO's said:

True, we missed a big opportunity to improve that offseason

Yeah, and that was at a time when the Yanks and Sox were down. It was inexcusable. But ultimately, Peter allowed it. Now he has allowed a GM and manager with one year left to figure out the fate of the future. Maybe they have a verbal agreement of an extension in place, but if not, then you can't expect DD to do with is best for the organization. He will do what he thinks will garner the most wins in 2018.

16 hours ago, tntoriole said:

If Adam Jones is dissatisfied with the team that has paid him millions to play the game, then fine...play out the year and go see how many teams want an aging centerfielder to still be playing center.   

He owes his employer the respect to not berate him publically.  If I did it, I would be fired.  Adam Jones is not a fan.  He is not a paying customer.  We can call Angelos and Duquette whatever we want on Twitter or on a board.  We don’t get paid millions as an employee of Peter Angelos.   His tirade will make it that much easier to not overpay for a contract renewal that would primarily be based not on future ability but on sentimentality.   

I think Jones wants Machado to stay this year, because it might be Jones last year too. I haven't read his twitter too closely to see what he thinks about it. So if jones is contacting the FO, im sure he wants no rebuild this year. 

19 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

What's wrong with him having an opinion on DD? In this day and age players  can post what they think. As for DDI think he is a poor GM and as for as Angelos goes he is a terrible owner. 

Tell me any other job where an employee can agree with “another era of expletive leadership” and not be reprimanded at minimum   Adam, I wish you well at your next employer.  

13 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Tell me any other job where an employee can agree with “another era of expletive leadership” and not be reprimanded at minimum   Adam, I wish you well at your next employer.  

In sports it happens all the time.

How many times have you seen a manager or head coach fired, because of a dispute with the "star" of the team? More times than I care to count!

Archived