Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Why, you got an achilles tendon transplant for him?  

I mean, we saw how long it took for him to come back last year from a lesser injury - I don't think anyone can expect anything out of him for 2018.  

they can pay 31 day worth of his contract and save about 10 mil.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we could get creative and pay him, say, $6 mm with a player option for 2019 at $12 mm?   It gives him a reason to stay, we pay less than the full $12 mm and still get a comp pick if he walks, he has some flexibility for 2019.    I’m not sure if league rules allow a pay cut that big if it’s by agreement rather than by team fiat (team has to offer 85% of prior year to retain rights to the player and arbitrate).   Assuming that works, would we want to do it?    Or are we better off just cutting bait?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if we could get creative and pay him, say, $6 mm with a player option for 2019 at $12 mm?   It gives him a reason to stay, we pay less than the full $12 mm and still get a comp pick if he walks, he has some flexibility for 2019.    I’m not sure if league rules allow a pay cut that big if it’s by agreement rather than by team fiat (team has to offer 85% of prior year to retain rights to the player and arbitrate).   Assuming that works, would we want to do it?    Or are we better off just cutting bait?

Why not pay him next years money but spread it out over 2 seasons?

If he comes back next year and pitches well he could be a cheap piece for someone in 19. I don’t see where a player option would help as much. 

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Trade Brach anyway.  I don't know if I can watch him another year as closer.  Give the job to Givens/O'Day and roll.  What is the demand for a top shelf closer on a team that still has 2/5 of a rotation in place, anyway?

We keep getting rid of players the team payroll will be lower than the Marlins......

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Keep in mind that Britton was worth exactly 1.0 WAR for us last year.   I think we can find some ways to make that up with our current roster or FA market.  His salary could really hurt tho.........not sure how insurance works.

And we didn't compete..... 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Why, you got an achilles tendon transplant for him?  

I mean, we saw how long it took for him to come back last year from a lesser injury - I don't think anyone can expect anything out of him for 2018.  

Grilli took two years to get back jojo.

22 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Trade Brach anyway.  I don't know if I can watch him another year as closer.  Give the job to Givens/O'Day and roll.  What is the demand for a top shelf closer on a team that still has 2/5 of a rotation in place, anyway?

Yeah, it's totally ridiculous that Brach is off the market. Why? It's just another example of the directionless thinking employed by this organization. I'd understand keeping Brach if they had any semblance of a starting rotation, but they don't! They've got 2 pitchers! Oh my god it's so ridiculous, this whole thing. 

4 hours ago, Nite said:

I agree. White flag this 2018 team. Move what you can that won't be in your 2019 plans for whatever you can that will. The faster they can get ahead of a 2019 or 2020 plan the more likely they can actually make that a reality...

Angelos probably won't agree with that.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why are these arguments always so skewed to the side of the poor poor (millionaire) players.

The O's paid Britton 10+ million dollars last year to be injured and when not injured ineffective.

Now the ethical thing to do is pay him 12 million to rehab from another injury?

Who is represented the poor family of four who can't afford 4 tickets to attend a game?

This injury should be a bit of good fortune for the O's. I for one didn't believe that Britton would be all that effective in 2018 (already battling chronic knee and shoulder injuries), Now they can release him and recoup some payroll.

If they gave the 12 million back to the fans in free promotions... would that make it the ethical thing to do?

Ahh geez.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Since when is Scott Boras (Britton's agent) concerned about "doing the right thing ethically and morally"? Cutting Britton is allowed and incentivized under the collective bargaining agreement, case closed. The Orioles should act in their self interest within the constraints of the rules. 

If Britton wanted a guaranteed salary, he could have signed a lowball extension that would have set himself up for life. I am guessing he is set for life anyway with $22M career earnings.

See ya Britton. You’re cut Millhouse. We won’t be paying Britton anything more than what we have to next year. 

Is trade value was pretty low anyway. We actually caught a break here and have some money available. 

Archived