Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 years ago we signed Jiminez to a 12 million a year contract.  A guy no other team wanted.  Now we don't want to pay a guy who could be productive 20 million a year?  

We would rather over pay for a guy who will be terrible than to pay a little more for a guy who could be good.  Only in Angelos' mind is this logical.

11 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I would have paid more for Chatwood than the Cubs gave him. 

I would not have went over that offer, but I would have gave Chacin an extra year and more money.  He's not great but usually keeps you in the game.  He got 2/15.  I would have offered 3/27

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's asking for 20M per year.   Just like we asked for 2 ML ready starting pitchers for Manny.   Big deal.   I predicted 5/90  two times already.   Sticking with it.   Why do people underestimate the FA market EVERY year and then act astonished?

Yeah I said 5/100 on here a couple months ago and people seemed to think that was a stretch. There are two aces who will get 25+ and then there's basically just Cobb and Lynn as front rotation guys.

Angelos just won't pay for a top of rotation arm. So instead we'll spend 13-14 per on a Cashner, who will predictably regress, and you've essentially sealed your fate before the season even starts.

47 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

That and when they are being developed in the case of Zach Davies, they're not traded for the likes of 2 months of Parra.

I'm not sure about 10mill, but I hear your frustration.

I'm kind of expecting a similar move this off season since Manny wasn't traded. For some reason I got a bad feeling we are going to make a trade for Duffy or Mike Montgomery and seriously over pay to acquire one of them.

I don't think Tillman will get 10 million but for some reason I think I read he was looking for that or someone said he could possibly get that in the current market. I don't have any links, so who knows it may just be my imagination.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ouch!    A broken down pitcher who was one of the worst in baseball last year, a #5 man in Miggy, and a rule 5 guy.    Wow!    You're probably pretty close but I think we don't wind up with both Tillman and Miggy.    In fact, signing Miggy is like admitting they goofed up.    I think they don't sign him for any other reason than that.

Early on when it seemed that everybody was all Cobb AND Lynn etc,  it seemed that my prediction was overly pessismistic...but this has continued to move in the direction of the prediction.  It may not quite get there, but it is now better than 50/50, imho. 

28 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I would have paid more for Chatwood than the Cubs gave him. 

Why?  He got more than anybody projected.  Nearly twice what MLBTR projected.  Hi walk rate.  Mediocre FIP, WHIP, K/9.  3/$38 million?  Cubs have deep pockets and overpaid, IMO.

16 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I'm kind of expecting a similar move this off season since Manny wasn't traded. For some reason I got a bad feeling we are going to make a trade for Duffy or Mike Montgomery and seriously over pay to acquire one of them.

I don't think Tillman will get 10 million but for some reason I think I read he was looking for that or someone said he could possibly get that in the current market. I don't have any links, so who knows it may just be my imagination.

You did see it, MLBtraderumors predicted he would get 1 year 10mill from the Tigers. I don't see them or anyone giving him that much, maybe he can get to half of that with incentives.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tillman will be signed to a minor league contract with an invitation to ST, and a small base salary with incentives which kicks in if he makes the team.   Maybe he can make as much as 10M if he pitches 180+ innings or something like that.    No way any team is guaranteeing him 10M after his season last year and the questions regarding his shoulder.

Why not just sign with the padres instead?  We probably have to overpay for Tillman haha. 

Archived