Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cobb will get better than Wei Yin Chen and Jeff Samardzija got, IMO.  I dunno if he breaks 6 figures; my guess would be somewhere along the lines of 5/90 or 5/95.  I would do it if I was PGA and DD, even giving up the 2nd round pick.  But I think we all know that the actual PGA/DD most likely will not, which is disappointing, to say the least.

Vargas I like, he's an upgrade over what we had.  Cashner....meh.  He just strikes me as a RH version of Miley.  I think his 5.25 ERA from 2016 is much more akin to what we'd see if he's here in 2018, versus the 3.40 ERA he posted in Texas last year.

15 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

And that's the way it will be. Good pitchers will be too expensive for Angelos's puppet. 

The Orioles have spent enough money to get good pitchers in the past they have just not made the right decision on who those guys were.  Now if you are talking great pitchers or goes getting way overpaid by a team then yes I agree we won't go super long on a contract or pay 20-25 million a year but you can get a good pitcher in the same price range we paid for Ubaldo.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Word is that before the Yankees signed him his strong preference was to stay in the National league. 

It is also the easier league to pitch in.

He was 28 years old and had a strong motivation to put up the best numbers he could to lock down a big money deal in the future.  His motivations are very different 9 years later, IMO.  I think that he will go where the money is, be it AL or NL.  I just don't think that he has any special desire to be in the National League over the American League at this time.

22 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

A guy with a known drinking problem going to the Brewers might not be the best place for him. 

LOL.  Milwaukee is famous for beer, but if I had to bet, I'd wager that there are more bars in New York than in Milwaukee.  :)

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The Orioles have spent enough money to get good pitchers in the past they have just not made the right decision on who those guys were.  Now if you are talking great pitchers or goes getting way overpaid by a team then yes I agree we won't go super long on a contract or pay 20-25 million a year but you can get a good pitcher in the same price range we paid for Ubaldo.

I am talking about Lynn, Cobb. Maybe Vargas but  not another Miley or Tillman.Certainly not a Gallardo or Ubaldo type pitcher. But we all know what type DD goes for. Low tier bottom of the barrel type. 

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Cobb will get better than Wei Yin Chen and Jeff Samardzija got, IMO.  I dunno if he breaks 6 figures; my guess would be somewhere along the lines of 5/90 or 5/95.  I would do it if I was PGA and DD, even giving up the 2nd round pick.  But I think we all know that the actual PGA/DD most likely will not, which is disappointing, to say the least.

Vargas I like, he's an upgrade over what we had.  Cashner....meh.  He just strikes me as a RH version of Miley.  I think his 5.25 ERA from 2016 is much more akin to what we'd see if he's here in 2018, versus the 3.40 ERA he posted in Texas last year.

I looked on BB ref for Cashner ....his pitching splits indicate he has a 2.57 ERA at Camden in 2 starts over 14 innings. It's a sample size which is lower than the 2.74 he has in Texas. Nothing indicates he'd be considerably worse here.

Im MEH on Vargas, and don't believe he's leaps and bounds better than Miley.

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

Their revenue score was 70 in 2016.  They surely did not improve in 2017.  If the score in less than 100 they received revenue sharing is the way I read the CBA,

This article appears to confirm that the O’s receive revenue sharing and would forfeit their third-highest pick if they signed a player who had received a QO:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21318710/mlb-free-agency-underway-several-receive-174m-offers

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

LOL.  Milwaukee is famous for beer, but if I had to bet, I'd wager that there are more bars in New York than in Milwaukee.  :)

New York City may feel like it has a cocktail lounge on every corner, but it didn’t even crack the top 10 on a new list of U.S. cities with the most bars per capita in 2013.  Top cities were"PIT and STL.  MIL was #5. http://www.ibtimes.com/which-us-cities-have-most-bars-capita-1499880

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I am talking about Lynn, Cobb. Maybe Vargas but  not another Miley or Tillman.Certainly not a Gallardo or Ubaldo type pitcher. But we all know what type DD goes for. Low tier bottom of the barrel type. 

I think he'll go for Chatwood. Young 28, good ERA outside Coors, high GB rate 58%, fairly cheap.

17 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

New York City may feel like it has a cocktail lounge on every corner, but it didn’t even crack the top 10 on a new list of U.S. cities with the most bars per capita in 2013.  Top cities were"PIT and STL.  MIL was #5. http://www.ibtimes.com/which-us-cities-have-most-bars-capita-1499880

Again, I'd bet money that there are more bars in New York than Milwaukee, and I doubt that it would be a close call.  If CC wants a drink in New York, he wouldn't have any problem.  :)

I don't think I can see a 37 year old CC Sabathia going somewhere where he has to bat and run the bases every 5 days.

It's not like he can expect to pitch really well and turn that into another mega contract going into his 40s.

Archived