Orioles Had -$2.1 Million Operating Loss Last Season

theocean

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know about that.   The O's are at about 124m right now.   But they have holes to fill.   It depend on if they can get any one to take their money. i.e. free agents or trades.   I think the O's are willing to spend up to 40m.   We will see. 

I don’t know if there is a smart 40m worth of players out there. All the lower cost upside guys have pretty much already signed. The guys left are either expensive or a marginal upgrade for a team that needs significant upgrades to compete.  

If they want to compete with a similar payroll to last year they need to either significantly win a couple trades, or pony up for two 15-20 million starters. Plus hope that the internal pitching depth over performs. 

I doubt either will happen and I’m an optimist.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don’t know if there is a smart 40m worth of players out there. All the lower cost upside guys have pretty much already signed. The guys left are either expensive or a marginal upgrade for a team that needs significant upgrades to compete.  

If they want to compete with a similar payroll to last year they need to either significantly win a couple trades, or pony up for two 15-20 million starters. Plus hope that the internal pitching depth over performs. 

I doubt either will happen and I’m an optimist.

The odds are with you right now.  The O's are a last place team with many needs.  

The are going to have to spend  at least 12m on Vargas to get him to some to Baltimore. Maybe 13.   You can say that is a poor value but he won 18 game last year,  pitch almost 180 inning and  made over 30 starts.   The is a number 3 or better on this pitching staff. 

The probably go after Cashner.  I doubt if they get him but he is likely to make at least 13 ro 14m in this environment  for 2 or 3 years.

I could see them signing Moustakas.  Its not something I would do but if his price falls a little the O's could pull the tigger.   Say 4/64m  That is 16 a year.

13 plus 14 plus 16 is 43m  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The odds are with you right now.  The O's are a last place team with many needs.  

The are going to have to spend  at least 12m on Vargas to get him to some to Baltimore. Maybe 13.   You can say that is a poor value but he won 18 game last year,  pitch almost 180 inning and  made over 30 starts.   The is a number 3 or better on this pitching staff. 

The probably go after Cashner.  I doubt if they get him but he is likely to make at least 13 ro 14m in this environment  for 2 or 3 years.

I could see them signing Moustakas.  Its not something I would do but if his price falls a little the O's could pull the tigger.   Say 4/64m  That is 16 a year.

13 plus 14 plus 16 is 43m  

I’d argue that adding all 3 only adds 3-4 wins, and this team is more than 3-4 wins away. Let me know if you don’t believe that and I’ll take the time and break it down to show my logic.

58 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’d argue that adding all 3 only adds 3-4 wins, and this team is more than 3-4 wins away. Let me know if you don’t believe that and I’ll take the time and break it down to show my logic.

Yep a little better version of Miley and Ubaldo in the AL East

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

It helps fill out the team with experience players.  The O's normally don't expect their off season acquisitions to make a winning season for them.   They are short term fillers.  Where the additional wins come from are the growth of Bundy, Guasman, Schoop, and Mancini.  Also the growth during the season of Sisco and Hays.     They will have to count  on Davis and Trumbo (if he is still with the team) having better years.  

I don't expect the players the O's add to be the stars.   Just solid players that help the team win.

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

It depends how Vargas and Cashner do.   Let’s say they post a 4.75 ERA over 320 innings.     Last year our back three slots averaged a 6.52 ERA.    That would save 63 runs, which should translate to about 6 wins.    

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

It depends how Vargas and Cashner do.   Let’s say they post a 4.75 ERA over 320 innings.     Last year our back three slots averaged a 6.52 ERA.    That would save 63 runs, which should translate to about 6 wins.    

I was comparing them to the in house options. Wright, Ynoa, and Cortes projects to about 5 ERA which is far from exciting but much better than 6.52 (skewed higher by the broken Tillman who for some reason kept getting run out there).

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I was comparing them to the in house options. Wright, Ynoa, and Cortes projects to about 5 ERA which is far from exciting but much better than 6.52 (skewed higher by the broken Tillman who for some reason kept getting run out there).

That reason is named Buck Showalter. 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

That reason is named Buck Showalter. 

I know, I didn’t like how Buck handled many things last year, but I’ve already made my feelings on that known, I don’t want to be constantly griping about Buck because he was an important part of the recent successful years.

Archived