Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

5 hours ago, Ruzious said:

If they're going to move Jones, it should be for a good CFer.  From everything I've read and seen, I don't think Hays qualifies.   

Well, I don’t know what you read, but here’s a couple blurbs....

“Hays displays an excellent array of power, hitting ability, speed, defensive ability and a solid throwing arm.”

-Pleskoff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/pleskoff-scouting-report-austin-hays/amp/

55 Clocked 4.25; Above-average runner, hustles; aggressiveness causes some bonehead mistakes. 
Glove 50 Above-average speed leads to quality range, athletic enough to hold up in all three outfield spots, aggressive nature may fit better in right field, average glove skills. 
Arm 60 Plus arm strength, ball has carry from center field, can make most any throw when set, maintains velo on the move. 

http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_bat.php?reportid=456

So, if his glove is average and his arm is above how is he not a better option than Jones?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if Hays is good enough to play CF, it wouldn't preclude signing Dyson.   There's nothing wrong with having two CF-caliber outfielders and putting one in right or left.

Signing Dyson to a 2 year deal doesn't do that much harm.   He bats lefthanded, Hays bats right.   He wouldn't be blocking him, he'd be complementing him.   Jones is a free agent and if he does come back next year, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as a CF.

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Some “fans” are just always going to cry. Sorry but give up on your pipe dream of winning the World Series with everyone on the team under 25 and locked into team friendly deals. 

Who's crying. If you want to totally ignore that aspect of It, then live in clueless denial. The Red Sox AND Yankees had some down years while the Orioles had their run.

As for the pipe dream comment, what's in your pipe?  Because I've never discounted the teams need to spend on FA. So keep blowing smoke.

Dyson would be a good pickup. We need a significant improvement in our outfield defense, and he definitely helps, whether he's playing center or right field. Jones would be able to shade more towards left with Dyson in right. He's a valuable player if used correctly. I would give him a two-year deal. 

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

“Hays displays an excellent array of power, hitting ability, speed, defensive ability and a solid throwing arm.”

-Pleskoff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/pleskoff-scouting-report-austin-hays/amp/

55 Clocked 4.25; Above-average runner, hustles; aggressiveness causes some bonehead mistakes. 
Glove 50 Above-average speed leads to quality range, athletic enough to hold up in all three outfield spots, aggressive nature may fit better in right field, average glove skills. 
Arm 60 Plus arm strength, ball has carry from center field, can make most any throw when set, maintains velo on the move. 

So, if his glove is average and his arm is above how is he not a better option than Jones?

Good question.

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

-Pleskoff

We did get to see Austin Hays in parts of 20 games last year. I really like the guy, but I don’t remember thinking that he was better than a healthy AJ in CF. Scouting reports are basically pointless with him because we saw him play 20 last year, and we’re going to see him play a ton in ST. We will find out in about a month. 

I think having Hays start next year would be a lot like when we had Schoop play his whole first year. He’ll show flashes, especially on defense, but will struggle a lot. 

The Dyson signing makes a lot of sense. The SP is a whole seperate debate. At least with Dyson our offense and defense, won’t be so boring. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We did get to see Austin Hays in parts of 20 games last year. I really like the guy, but I don’t remember thinking that he was better than a healthy AJ in CF. Scouting reports are basically pointless with him because we saw him play 20 last year, and we’re going to see him play a ton in ST. We will find out in about a month. 

I think having Hays start next year would be a lot like when we had Schoop play his whole first year. He’ll show flashes, especially on defense, but will struggle a lot. 

The Dyson signing makes a lot of sense. The SP is a whole seperate debate. At least with Dyson our offense and defense, won’t be so boring. 

Eight games in center.

17 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

-Pleskoff

A couple of points:

1.   The thing about Jones is, he looks good out there.    He runs in a very smooth, seemingly effortless manner, he’s quite athletic, and he makes it look easy.     His below average range is hard to spot, for the most part.    

2.    Based on what little I saw of Hays last year, his lack of experience hurts him a bit.    He was slow to react and/or took bad routes a few times in the 20 games he played.    And while he may cover as much ground as Jones or more, he doesn’t make it look easy the way Jones does.    He’s more of an Eric Byrnes type.

Overall, my sense is they’re both below average in CF, though Hays can probably work his way up to average while Jones is headed downhill.    Also, Hays has the better arm at this stage; his arm is probably about as good as Jones’ was in his prime, and Adam does not throw as well as he used to.   

Showalter’s opinion of Hays defensively?

“A little bit of a riverboat gambler,” he said. “It’s not particular fluid and smooth, but he’s aggressive, he’s not afraid to dive, he’s going to throw well. But I think sometimes more is not always better and he’s trying to impress.

“I think when his clock slows down a little bit, if it will, he will be a little better. But he was running on all cylinders when he came up last year and he should be. I understand that. But also, I’ve got a feeling that’s just him. I don’t think you’re going to see him really back off a lot. But he’s going to need to learn how to live to fight another day every once in a while.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/can-santanders-defense-keep-him-in-majors.html

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A couple of points:

1.   The thing about Jones is, he looks good out there.    He runs in a very smooth, seemingly effortless manner, he’s quite athletic, and he makes it look easy.     His below average range is hard to spot, for the most part.    

2.    Based on what little I saw of Hays last year, his lack of experience hurts him a bit.    He was slow to react and/or took bad routes a few times in the 20 games he played.    And while he may cover as much ground as Jones or more, he doesn’t make it look easy the way Jones does.    He’s more of an Eric Byrnes type.

Overall, my sense is they’re both below average in CF, though Hays can probably work his way up to average while Jones is headed downhill.    Also, Hays has the better arm at this stage; his arm is probably about as good as Jones’ was in his prime, and Adam does not throw as well as he used to.   

Good points here, though, I see Hays inexperience as a small barrier to improvement. Also, he had been playing quite a bit of CF. When they brought him up he played more RF, which isn’t the easiest spot at CY to learn on the fly. 

Archived