Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I would be happy with Jarrod Dyson on a one or two year contract.  He put up a 2.6 WAR in 2017 and would improve our defense significantly. Hits LH.  

I'd prefer Jay. Much better bat. 374 OBP.. Cheaper and very good RF.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:51 AM, foxfield said:

I am writing to announce that I, Foxfield, from the thriving Metropolis of Burkeville, VA am offering my services to the Baltimore Orioles for the minimum.  I am willing to pitch either Left or Right handed and will work on little or no rest, as a starter or a reliever.  Hell I will start a game and come in after I have been pulled and take down some more innings if that is what is needed.  When we play interleague, I promise I will make them earn the out.  In short, I promise that if they are ok with the worst pitching in baseball, I will at least help guarantee that it won't have to also be expensive.

My wife is my agent and she says if she doesn't have to travel, she will forego the usual fee.  Yes, the medicals are weak, but they are really pretty good for a 54 year old.

When you throw left handed, would you describe yourself as "crafty"

What's your workout regimen?

Can't be too much worse than Ubaldo.

Jarrod Dyson remains a possibility for the Orioles, according to sources. They’ve checked his medicals and he’s still in the picture.

Dyson, 33, underwent season-ending sports hernia surgery in September after the Mariners placed him on the disabled list a month earlier with a right groin strain. He appeared in 111 games and batted .251/.324/.350 with 13 doubles, three triples, five home runs, 30 RBIs and 28 stolen bases in 35 attempts.

Four seasons of 30-plus steals with the Royals bring an obvious appeal to a team that routinely ranks last in the majors. He plays all three outfield spots, though he’s made only 38 appearances and 36 starts in right. And there’s a sense within the industry that he isn’t necessarily pushing for an everyday role.

He’s never appeared in more than 120 games. Coming off the bench isn’t an issue.

With a career .267 average against right-handers and a .215 average against lefties, Dyson would fit in a platoon and also enable Showalter to provide more rest for Jones. Dyson received only 63 plate appearances versus left-handers in 2017 and batted .145/.230/.145. He hit .271/.342/.388 in 327 plate appearances against right-handers.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/could-dyson-bring-the-left-handed-bat-needed-in-the-outfield.html

Roch

I’d rather just bring back Seth Smith on a one year deal. Hays and Mullins are real close. Why block them?  Jay would even be a better fit. 

We have depth in the minors at OF, RP, and DH. No need to spend any FA $$$ on those positions. Plus I’m not ready to close the door on an AJ extension. 

I like Dyson but...come on Warehouse, he's 33 and a speed guy.  

I agree with the above post, just let Hays and Mullins battle it out in spring training.  If they go after Dyson just make it a one year deal with a club option for a 2nd.

But if they're going to offer a one year deal, I'm not sure what sense that makes for any long term goals unless they really think no one is ready to come up and take that spot.

Just now, wildcard said:

Dyson should cost about 1/3m.   He is a bench player.  He should not effect Hays starting in right if he has a good spring.

I would be shocked if Dyson gets around 1/3m. I expect him to get at least 2/10m. Although, you are right that he is a platoon guy, and not a true threat to Hays starting.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dyson should cost about 1/3m.   He is a bench player.  He should not effect Hays starting in right if he has a good spring.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be shocked if Dyson gets around 1/3m. I expect him to get at least 2/10m. Although, you are right that he is a platoon guy, and not a true threat to Hays starting.

At the beginning of the offseason, Fangraphs’ crowdsourcing project settled on 2/$16 mm for Dyson, while Dave Cameron guessed 2/$22 mm.     Obviously the market has developed differently than expected, but I still think 2/$10 mm is conservative for Dyson and wildcard’s guess is far off base.   

Archived