Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Pissing this guy off over 1.5 million is idiotic. Lowering the chances of an extension plus Manny leaving.

I don’t think Schoop has much to do with whether Manny leaves or not.    He’s leaving.   

While I do think the O’s should try to get a long-term deal done with Schoop, I don’t agree that not capitulating to his $9.1 mm demand for 2018 will poison the well.    That’s a very aggressive demand IMO.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Schoop has much to do with whether Manny leaves or not.    He’s leaving.   

While I do think the O’s should try to get a long-term deal done with Schoop, I don’t agree that not capitulating to his $9.1 mm demand for 2018 will poison the well.    That’s a very aggressive demand IMO.

A losing hand I think. The agent is definitely trying to make up for the fact that Jon sold 10% of himself. Short. 

9 million in arbitration for Schoop is excessive.  These high arbitration awards might also explain the slow free agent market.  With teams spending so much on arbitration players there isn't much left for free agents.  Especially with teams trying to stay under penalty cap.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I am getting to the point I don't even care. 

6 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I am getting to the point I don't even care. 

Just enjoy Manny and Schoop while they are here because they won’t be re-signing.

Appreciate a guy like Adam Jones that took a team friendly deal and embraced being the face of the franchise before we made the playoffs in 2012. 

4 hours ago, cimota said:

9 million in arbitration for Schoop is excessive.  These high arbitration awards might also explain the slow free agent market.  With teams spending so much on arbitration players there isn't much left for free agents.  Especially with teams trying to stay under penalty cap.

It shouldn' even make it to arbitration.  The Orioles should have learned from the mistake they made with Manny and be working on an extension rather than arguing over a million dollars. Especially after  all the millions they've wasted on aging over the hill players.

I've read a few times that the Schoop situation has gotten ugly and may affect him even wanting to extend here. I don't know that, but I know it confuses me the stands the FO chooses to with certain players over money, and hand it out freely to those they should take a stance on. Same old same old.

17 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

It shouldn' even make it to arbitration.  The Orioles should have learned from the mistake they made with Manny and be working on an extension rather than arguing over a million dollars. Especially after  all the millions they've wasted on aging over the hill players.

I've read a few times that the Schoop situation has gotten ugly and may affect him even wanting to extend here. I don't know that, but I know it confuses me the stands the FO chooses to with certain players over money, and hand it out freely to those they should take a stance on. Same old same old.

I think the answer the Orioles are after is an extension of some sort. And not paying top of the market money for a season under control is a bright way to do that. 

26 minutes ago, weams said:

What I would say is that you do have to leverage any powers you may have.  it is negotiation.

I agree. It's just the players they choose to use leverage with. They had all the leverage with Davis...and caved. Why argue over what is really peanuts in MLB terms with Schoop? The annual average of his contract will be what it will be, wether he gets 7.5 or 9m now.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I agree. It's just the players they choose to use leverage with. They had all the leverage with Davis...and caved. Why argue over what is really peanuts in MLB terms with Schoop? The annual average of his contract will be what it will be, wether he gets 7.5 or 9m now.

Why should they pay Schoop 400K+ more than they have to?  400K here, 400K there, it adds up.

1 hour ago, weams said:

It was team friendly. And I know, there are different ways of evaluating Jones value. I go with the traditional one. 

It was team friendly in the sense that players that sign extensions that cover one or more arbitration years generally sign contracts that team friendly.

I don't think he cut them a deal.

I don't recall anyone thinking the contract was a huge steal at the time.

Archived