Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

12 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Eh when your boss is like “I know you’re worth over 85k to me and we have a whole lotta Ks sitting over here and you’re the only constant exemplorary employee for the foreseeable future but how bout let’s give you 45k” I think you can get upset.  Players have no business coming to Baltimore in the winter unless they are required. Thier job does not also include coming to a fan fest.  When you’re being mistreated and management isn’t attempting to remedy the problems or put a winning team together the journey becomes even less important.  Run a franchise like a joke get treated like a joke in return. End of the day staying healthy and looking for the next contract is the job of the player. Ownership and management  should give them a reason to show up. 

I went ant when I was a kid. I enjoyed it. I get that kids need to see players but he’s going to have the same outcome wether the fans show up or not and Schoop does PLENTY year round for kids especially disadvantaged kids. I’m not going to knock him for not coming. I wish they all had stayed home honestly. 

Firstly, I agree with CoC, I don't believe Schoop is being at all mistreated.  

Second, any comparison to my job or your job is simply not comparable to theirs.  He can treat the franchise like a joke all he wants.  Don't take it out on the fans.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Jonathon Schoop signed to play professional baseball fora professional team. Instead he plays for the Baltimore Orioles.  His best friend is kind stuck. His team wastes money left and right and there are two major league pitchers heading into the season. His number one concern should be staying healthy. 

He makes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to play a GAME.

He is not being mistreated, but unfortunately he is on the Orioles who didn't have a great season last year, and the offseason hasn't been any better.

If he feels he is being mistreated, then play for the contract and take his services elsewhere when he has the chance.  

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Firstly, I agree with CoC, I don't believe Schoop is being at all mistreated.  

Second, any comparison to my job or your job is simply not comparable to theirs.  He can treat the franchise like a joke all he wants.  Don't take it out on the fans.

I’m with you on not mistreating fans.  I meant to do a multi quote that had other comments about critiquing a millionnare. Schoop is actively involved all season and off season with kids and not just in Baltimore. He gives back constantly.  He’s a top player on our team at a Steep value. He will be gone soon. He has years of baseball that won’t be in Baltimore. He doesn’t need to come to every off season thing 

6 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Jonathon Schoop signed to play professional baseball fora professional team. Instead he plays for the Baltimore Orioles.  His best friend is kind stuck. His team wastes money left and right and there are two major league pitchers heading into the season. His number one concern should be staying healthy. 

And you consider that mistreatment?

I call it being work and not happy fun time.

Have you ever worked for a company that was doing poorly?  I have and it sucks, but it doesn't mean I was being mistreated.  It is no business of mine if my friend at work is having conflicts with ownership that is between him and his boss.  It doesn't effect me and my job performance.

Maybe I just have a different mindset when it comes to work and what the employee owes their employer but if I were a salaried employee that didn't work for five months out of the year and my boss asked me, a month in advance, to be at a function to foster the work/customer relationship I would be there. 

2 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I’m with you on not mistreating fans.  I meant to do a multi quote that had other comments about critiquing a millionnare. Schoop is actively involved all season and off season with kids and not just in Baltimore. He gives back constantly.  He’s a top player on our team at a Steep value. He will be gone soon. He has years of baseball that won’t be in Baltimore. He doesn’t need to come to every off season thing 

How many off season things is he expected to be at?

Isn't this really the only one now that he is past the instructional league stage?

Is there a whole list of events they are required to be at that I don't know about?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And you consider that mistreatment?

I call it being work and not happy fun time.

Have you ever worked for a company that was doing poorly?  I have and it sucks, but it doesn't mean I was being mistreated.  It is no business of mine if my friend at work is having conflicts with ownership that is between him and his boss.  It doesn't effect me and my job performance.

Maybe I just have a different mindset when it comes to work and what the employee owes their employer but if I were a salaried employee that didn't work for five months out of the year and my boss asked me, a month in advance, to be at a function to foster the work/customer relationship I would be there. 

Yes most of my life. And I look for new work or higher paying work and leave. He’s stuck here. Soon we might have a strike and a new CBA but until then he’s stuck in Baltimore on a team committed to putting the cheapest product on the field and maximizing profits for one family. 

50 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Seems like we're being too hard on Schoop in this thread - especially since others missed fanfest and haven't been blasted.  

There are probably a thousand -- maybe 10,000 -- things about being a professional ballplayer that I don't understand, or maybe misunderstand. One of them is how a professional ballplayer cannot want, and want really badly, to show up at FanFest, whther or not he enjoys it. Another is how a professional athlete cannot, as soon as he knows the date of FanFest, make a note of it and try very hard to schedule around that date.

If something comes up that keeps a player from attending, I get that. The rest is beyond me, and I guess that's just the way it will have to be.

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

I just googled Schoop and charities / volunteer and literally found nothing. From what I read it sounds like he spends all of his off time in Curacao. 

Just now, spiritof66 said:

There are probably a thousand -- maybe 10,000 -- things about being a professional ballplayer that I don't understand, or maybe misunderstand. One of them is how a professional ballplayer cannot want, and want really badly, to show up at FanFest, whther or not he enjoys it. Another is how a professional athlete cannot, as soon as he knows the date of FanFest, make a note of it and try very hard to schedule around that date.

If something comes up that keeps a player from attending, I get that. The rest is beyond me, and I guess that's just the way it will have to be.

He got bad advise (that's on his agent). He listened to the bad advice (that's on him). 

6 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Schoop's reason sucks, but family issues take paramount over fanfest

Depends how serious.     If his aunt had a cold, I’d say that doesn’t cut it.     But we’re never going to know exactly what it was.    

4 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Yes most of my life. And I look for new work or higher paying work and leave. He’s stuck here. Soon we might have a strike and a new CBA but until then he’s stuck in Baltimore on a team committed to putting the cheapest product on the field and maximizing profits for one family. 

He isn't stuck here.

He can go seek employment in another field.  It isn't like there are not contracts that prohibit individuals from working for a competitor in the same field outside of sport.

As for the cheapest product, that is nonsense.  We know what a cut to the bones payroll looks like and it isn't what the Orioles will be spending this year.  Now do they spend foolishly under Angelos?  Sure they do, but they are not trying to maximize profits.  We both know that isn't even close to being true.

31 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Eh when your boss is like “I know you’re worth over 85k to me and we have a whole lotta Ks sitting over here and you’re the only constant exemplorary employee for the foreseeable future but how bout let’s give you 45k” I think you can get upset.  Players have no business coming to Baltimore in the winter unless they are required. Thier job does not also include coming to a fan fest.  When you’re being mistreated and management isn’t attempting to remedy the problems or put a winning team together the journey becomes even less important.  Run a franchise like a joke get treated like a joke in return. End of the day staying healthy and looking for the next contract is the job of the player. Ownership and management  should give them a reason to show up. 

I went ant when I was a kid. I enjoyed it. I get that kids need to see players but he’s going to have the same outcome wether the fans show up or not and Schoop does PLENTY year round for kids especially disadvantaged kids. I’m not going to knock him for not coming. I wish they all had stayed home honestly. 

Yes it does.  Explicitly.

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Is it in Schoop’s contract to appear at “fan fest?”

If not, Schoop was in his right to skip it and I don’t see what’s the problem.

Not “fan fest” by name, but yes, it’s contractually mandated that he attend this event.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Not “fan fest” by name, but yes, it’s contractually mandated that he attend this event.   

As well as in the Uniform Players Contract Section under Baseball Promotion 3.(b) for "...all reasonable promotional activities of the club..." for which this would certainly qualify.

Archived