The Rotation

weams

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

We have plenty of OF depth, we can part with Mancini. He's basically a 1B/DH and he's not the second coming of Hank Aaron.

Odorizzi is not going to bring anything like Mancini in trade.   Couple of middling prospects and take on nis salary.  

10 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Odorizzi is not going to bring anything like Mancini in trade.   Couple of middling prospects and take on nis salary.  

Odorizzi is a FA in 2020. Teams would be trading for 2 years of cheap control from an effective pitcher that's been relatively durable and successful in the AL East. Oh, and he's 27.

He's making $4.1m in 2018.

The last 4 years he's averaged 167 IP, 3.81 ERA, 1.215 WHIP and a 4.23 FIP.

He's going to cost more than middling prospects.

That said, 2017 was interesting for Odorizzi. His HR/9 spiked as did his BB/9. 

HR/9 was a terrible 1.9 (up from his career average of 1.1). 

BB/9 was 3.8 (average prior was 2.7).

Other thing to remember here: Mancini turns 26 in March. He's a below average defensive OF'er. I think people here might be overvaluing Trey Mancini relative to guys like Odorizzi. Teams are going to be asking if 2017 was a fluke season from Mancini...and what his baseline is? Is it the 2.2 WAR guy in 2017....or does he settle in less?

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Odorizzi is a FA in 2020. Teams would be trading for 2 years of cheap control from an effective pitcher that's been relatively durable and successful in the AL East. Oh, and he's 27.

He's making $4.1m in 2018.

The last 4 years he's averaged 167 IP, 3.81 ERA, 1.215 WHIP and a 4.23 FIP.

He's going to cost more than middling prospects.

That said, 2017 was interesting for Odorizzi. His HR/9 spiked as did his BB/9. 

HR/9 was a terrible 1.9 (up from his career average of 1.1). 

BB/9 was 3.8 (average prior was 2.7).

I wouldn't give up anything for him, tbh. He's a clear canidate to get worse over time. 

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I wouldn't give up anything for him, tbh. He's a clear canidate to get worse over time. 

I like Odorizzi. I don't know if I like him enough to trade for him unless we can get creative.

He kind of reminds me of a slightly better Miguel Gonzalez early on his career.

It's hard to express just how much better I feel about this team with just one - JUST ONE! - proven, consistently good starting pitcher on the level of Lynn or Cobb. Yeah there are three open rotation spots, but filling just one, IMO, dramatically improves the outlook of this team. I think they can survive putting the likes of Ynoa, Castro, Wright (ugh), Cortes, Asher, etc in the 4 and 5 slots all year. 

Just give me ONE guy.

For what it's worth, today's USA Today predicts where the top 7 remaining free agents will land:

1) Hosmer:  San Diego 7y/$150.5mm, vesting option for 8th year

2) JD Martinez:  Boston 5y/$130mm, opt-out after 2019

3) Arrieta:  Washington, 5y/$115mm

4) Moustakas:  Yankees, 1y/$14mm

5) Lynn:  Batlimore, 3y/$57mm

6) Cobb:  Milwaukee, 4y/$65mm

7) Greg Holland:  St Louis, 2y/$25mm

By the way...is it safe to assume that now that the market has gone bearish, it shouldn't be as big a deal to give players opt-outs?   I mean, who is going to opt-out of a good contract to put themselves through what guys like Hosmer and Arrieta are going through this offseason?   Holland probably regrets not exercising his $15mm player option or taking the $17.4mm qualifying offer at this point (and I am skeptical of him getting what USAT says he will.   He had a 6.38 ERA in the 2nd half last year, and if the front offices are becoming more analytics-savvy as Can and others are saying, they probably won't be paying big bucks for saves anymore).

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hadn't stayed at a hotel in a while, didn't know USA Today was still a thing.

Well, here at work (DoD, classified environment), we have only our internal network on our desktops.   To get to the outside internet, there's a shared terminal in each cubicle.    That's why you don't see much from me during the day, and if you do it's usually either at lunch or late in the afternoon/evening like this when there aren't many people left.

So I like to have a newspaper or two to read with my lunch.   I still like to get ink on my hands, guess I'm old fashioned.   No fun doing the crossword and sodoku on a screen.   I subscribe to the Sun and occasionally will pick up a USAT at our newsstand for lunch as well.   It's still got decent sports.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Well, here at work (DoD, classified environment), we have only our internal network on our desktops.   To get to the outside internet, there's a shared terminal in each cubicle.    That's why you don't see much from me during the day, and if you do it's usually either at lunch or late in the afternoon/evening like this when there aren't many people left.

So I like to have a newspaper or two to read with my lunch.   I still like to get ink on my hands, guess I'm old fashioned.   No fun doing the crossword and sodoku on a screen.   I subscribe to the Sun and occasionally will pick up a USAT at our newsstand for lunch as well.   It's still got decent sports.

Man I miss the unclassified Early Bird.  I used to read it every morning when I had the 2300-0700 shift on the Maritime Watch floor.

The only time I was allowed on an unclassified terminal was when I was declassifying stuff.  IT would have had my hide if I "surfed" on it.

Archived