What if Arrieta falls to the O's?

wildcard

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sounds like you want Jake back with the O's. 

I am just looking at the market and seeing what makes sense.   If I have to rate where Arrieta will go I would say 1) Rangers, 2) Phillies, 3) O's.

But there are reasons why the first two might not sign him.   He will not get what he wants.   In about a  month a contract for 3 year with a vesting option on a 4th year and a club option on a 5th year may look pretty good.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am just looking at the market and seeing what makes sense.   If I have to rate where Arrieta will go I would say 1) Rangers, 2) Phillies, 3) O's.

But there are reasons why the first two might not sign him.   He will not get what he wants.   In about a  month a contract for 3 year with a vesting option on a 4th year and a club option on a 5th year may look pretty good.

Maybe so. 

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Jake has a better chance signing with the Giants then the Orioles and that is the Yomiuri Giants of the Japanese league.

I have to think he'd consider sitting at least some of the season out rather than play with the O's.

Let's say MIL/MIN/PHI whoever sign Lynn and Cobb, and there are no serious teams left to give out big bucks on a mega contract for Arrieta.

So now he's willing to entertain a short term deal to try to boost his value.  We know that the big spenders will be looking to spend next off-season after all.

Does anyone think under those conditions he would try to pitch in the AL East to accomplish that goal?

13 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I have to think he'd consider sitting at least some of the season out rather than play with the O's.

Let's say MIL/MIN/PHI whoever sign Lynn and Cobb, and there are no serious teams left to give out big bucks on a mega contract for Arrieta.

So now he's willing to entertain a short term deal to try to boost his value.  We know that the big spenders will be looking to spend next off-season after all.

Does anyone think under those conditions he would try to pitch in the AL East to accomplish that goal?

Zero chance. 

He's not falling. Worst case scenario he signs a long term deal at a discount with an early opt out (like Darvish did). He might not get a six year deal, but one of the pitching desperate teams (Twins, Brewers, etc.) will give him at least a four or five year deal. It's just a matter of time. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's not falling. Worst case scenario he signs a long term deal at a discount with an early opt out (like Darvish did). He might not get a six year deal, but one of the pitching desperate teams (Twins, Brewers, etc.) will give him at least a four or five year deal. It's just a matter of time. 

If the Brewers and Twins sign Lynn and Cobb they will not be in on Arrieta,

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Read the OP. I covered that.  If you don't agree please tell me why.

Sure thing 

The Nats have a lot of money and a penchant for late season stupid contracts with Boras clients. I get they'll be taxed but they seem to have a buddy buddy relationship (Boras/Nats). That's why I think the Nats will swoop in and overpay. 

Just to be clear, I doubt Jake’s past experience in our organization would dissuade him from signing here if we forked over the most money (which we won’t). He’s a veteran pitcher who’s had success, so nobody’s going to ask him to change his delivery or his repertoire at this stage of his career, and the pitching coach he had here is long gone.    His development here is a black mark for us, but has no relevance to his future success or failure.    And I doubt Buck would hassle him about TTTP at this stage.   

As I said, I don’t want him back anyway, but I don’t think his past here would hinder a deal; there just isn’t an offer we’d make that would be in the ballpark of what he’d accept.  

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Sure thing 

The Nats have a lot of money and a penchant for late season stupid contracts with Boras clients. I get they'll be taxed but they seem to have a buddy buddy relationship (Boras/Nats). That's why I think the Nats will swoop in and overpay. 

I think Rizzo signed Miguel Montero to spoil the Nats for Arrieta. 

I was hoping for this, but after reading Roch's blog with Britton's comments, reading between the lines, I see the chances of it as slim and none.  Sounds like the O's wouldn't even be in the ballpark of what it would take to sign him, and I have to wonder if there isn't some animosity between Jake and O's, based off them trying to change his delivery, etc. 

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

I was hoping for this, but after reading Roch's blog with Britton's comments, reading between the lines, I see the chances of it as slim and none.  Sounds like the O's wouldn't even be in the ballpark of what it would take to sign him, and I have to wonder if there isn't some animosity between Jake and O's, based off them trying to change his delivery, etc. 

He went to Cubs and got corrected, and went on to a studded career, with some glorious highlights.

Not sure, how much animosity, he is actually carrying.

Archived