Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I'd bet a fair amount of money that Miley outperforms both Andrew Cashner and Jason Vargas this year.

Again, this is not an endorsement of Wade Miley.

I would take Vargas over Miley any day of the week.  If Miley is more successful in the National League in a pitcher's park over someone who pitches at Camden Yards in the AL East wouldn't be surprising.

9 minutes ago, cimota said:

I would take Vargas over Miley any day of the week.  If Miley is more successful in the National League in a pitcher's park over someone who pitches at Camden Yards in the AL East wouldn't be surprising.

Miller Park in Milwaukee is hardly a pitcher’s park.

6 minutes ago, cimota said:

I would obviously advocate for park neutralization. If it's Miley at 1/2.5 vs Vargas at something like 3/36? I'll take Miley.

Steamer has Miley for 4.19 ERA, 4.24 FIP, 4.08 xFIP. Vargas at 4.78, 4.82, 5.08.

I'm not nearly that optimistic about Miley, but you don't have to squint too hard to see the scenario where he is better.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I would obviously advocate for park neutralization. If it's Miley at 1/2.5 vs Vargas at something like 3/36? I'll take Miley.

Steamer has Miley for 4.19 ERA, 4.24 FIP, 4.08 xFIP. Vargas at 4.78, 4.82, 5.08.

I'm not nearly that optimistic about Miley, but you don't have to squint too hard to see the scenario where he is better.

Vargas' second half of last season was very ugly.

So some have dismissed my Miley comments saying he didn't want to pitch here.  Players take the most money a majority of the time.

That said we also now see Drew Hutchinson, another player of recorded interest for the Orioles, just signed a minor league deal with the Phillies. 

You can keep dismissing these reports, but this is disturbing whatever the reason, whether it's a power struggle, ownership, no budget, or a lack of interest in signing.  The Orioles seem completely paralyzed.

Just now, Camden_yardbird said:

So some have dismissed my Miley comments saying he didn't want to pitch here.  Players take the most money a majority of the time.

That said we also now see Drew Hutchinson, another player of recorded interest for the Orioles, just signed a minor league deal with the Phillies. 

You can keep dismissing these reports, but this is disturbing whether it's a power struggle, ownership, budget or a lack of interest in signing.  The Orioles seem completely paralyzed.

I don't dismiss them at all. Philly is a big market though.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No room on the 40 man for him.

IF...Tillman had an offer O's would match it....I imagine he granted that small concession.  Load the incentives and go MiL  IF they need a guaranteed contract to get him...pass.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

I'd bet a fair amount of money that Miley outperforms both Andrew Cashner and Jason Vargas this year.

Again, this is not an endorsement of Wade Miley.

Well...that is scary...not that I agree or disagree...It's just sorta like Daniel Caffee saying at the door....we're gonna lose...and we're gonna lose huge!

1 hour ago, weams said:

Miley is not worth 3 million. And Camden Yards is not kind to Miley.

An yet...at some point we have to have someone....3 Mil or not...Camden Yards aint gonna be especially kind to anyone...

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You can keep dismissing these reports, but this is disturbing whatever the reason, whether it's a power struggle, ownership, no budget, or a lack of interest in signing.  The Orioles seem completely paralyzed.

I do not think it is paralysis.  I think it is design.  But you are correct.  Dismissing all of these players as too expensive or not good enough....well that's not gonna work for much longer.

Miley led all of MLB in both walks and BB per 9 innings. I can see attributing some of that to a fear of throwing strikes at Camden Yards (or Fenway or Yankee Stadium), but I sure thought he suffered from an inability as well as unwillingness to put the ball over the plate. 

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Miley led all of MLB in both walks and BB per 9 innings. I can see attributing some of that to a fear of throwing strikes at Camden Yards (or Fenway or Yankee Stadium), but I sure thought he suffered from an inability as well as unwillingness to put the ball over the plate. 

And an inability to entice hitters to swing at offerings out of the zone.

Archived