Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pheasants said:

Do we have any sort of projection for our Rule 5 pitchers, etc.?  I looked at the list and said wow on Cobb (4.92) and Lynn (4.47).  Is that what we want to spend @60 million on?

I still think our best bet is to trade Manny and Schoop for controllable pitching now.

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why are we so opposed to Tillman on a MIL contract with ST invite?

He had 2 very good years and 2 decent years in the previous 4, before last season.

Low risk, high rewards.

Lord help us, if he latches on with another team and is lights out for them. OH would have a field day with that.

I have moved from opposed to signing Tillman to believing that signing him on a MiL contract with a ST invite is a given.  I'd now be disappointed if the O's miss that opportunity.  However that change is based on the realization that they absolutely HAVE to do SOMETHING.

I am not optimistic that Tillman will be good, but I have come to understand that without other additions, it is only important that he can be healthy.  Yes, that is an extraordinarily large concession, but I am merely trying to adjust my expectations from my definition of the Orioles...going for it!  To what must be Peter Angelos' definition.

Also to the opening post....Roch says there is a growing sense that the Orioles are going to get a veteran pitcher.

Yes and there is a growing sense that Saturday is approaching.  If not this week...well then certainly next.  You read it here first!   ;) 

38 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why are we so opposed to Tillman on a MIL contract with ST invite?

He had 2 very good years and 2 decent years in the previous 4, before last season.

Low risk, high rewards.

Lord help us, if he latches on with another team and is lights out for them. OH would have a field day with that.

Not many people are against that move per se.    But that can’t be our main pitching move of the winter.    That’s the point.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Not many people are against that move per se.    But that can’t be our main pitching move of the winter.    That’s the point.   

I agree cant be our main pitching move of the winter. But, Ive seen many comments against Tillman's return.

I think, the biggest move with turn out to be Cortes, but hopefully, they do bring in another real arm or two.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But it's spring....well Spring Training.  However, Tilly as a contender for 5th spot should not upset anyone.

I remember back during DD's first offseason, Roch made a post around this time that the O's were expected to announce a trade soon.  And speculation went rampant over who was going, who might be coming back, and all sorts of rumors.

The guy coming back ended up being Dana Eveland.  

And I remember people saying (myself included I think) that no, that can't be what he was talking about, that's not even worth making a post about.  Surely something bigger was in the works than a minor leaguer for Dana Eveland.  But then Roch confirmed, yes, that was the trade he was talking about.

Which is a long way of saying, forgive me if I don't get too interested over this one :)

3 hours ago, weams said:
j_oB_f2h_normal.jpg Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman)
PECOTA projected ERAs for remaining options for teams pursuing rotation help:
3.23 Chris Archer
3.69 Jake Arrieta
4.00 Patrick Corbin
4.16 Collin McHugh
4.23 Julio Teheran
4.38 Jaime Garcia
4.46 Jake Odorizzi
4.47 Lance Lynn
4.59 Dan Straily
4.92 Alex Cobb
5.07 Jason Hammel

I do not see Tillman on the list.   Or Ubaldo.  Or Wade Miley....lol.   Of course, they would not be rotation "help."   Unless one is talking about the kind of "help" that pouring kerosene on your hot coals barbecue provides.  

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I do not see Tillman on the list.   Or Ubaldo.  Or Wade Miley....lol.   Of course, they would not be rotation "help."   Unless one is talking about the kind of "help" that pouring kerosene on your hot coals barbecue provides.  

That is because projected numbers run from 3.23 ERA to 5.07 ERA.  The rest of the "data" is higher...and well guess what?

Archived