Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

3 hours ago, theobird said:

Now that said, no team that thinks its going to contend in the AL East goes into spring training with two rule 5 guys battling for a rotation spot. 

I agree and yet here we are. If the FO doesn't believe we can compete and won't spend money on starters why didn't we trade Machado? So few things this team does have any logic to it. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, auzzy98 said:

I don't really understand all of the hate towards Tillman. The guy was a solid pitcher for us for 4-5 years, and only one year removed from a 16-6 season and 3.77 era. Yes, last year he looked awful, but injuries played into that. I would absolutely love to have him be our #3 starter if he can put up number like he did in 2016. The guy is 29 years old and now healthy. Why all the hate for a one year pillow contract that hardly costs us anything?

If he is healthy...big if.  But if he is, then I would offer him a one year deal with a team option for another season.   Because if he is back anywhere close to previous, I would want two years at the lower cost rather than a one and done. 

3 hours ago, auzzy98 said:

I don't really understand all of the hate towards Tillman. The guy was a solid pitcher for us for 4-5 years, and only one year removed from a 16-6 season and 3.77 era. Yes, last year he looked awful, but injuries played into that. I would absolutely love to have him be our #3 starter if he can put up number like he did in 2016. The guy is 29 years old and now healthy. Why all the hate for a one year pillow contract that hardly costs us anything?

He has admitted that he changed his delivery while his shoulder was injured and hasn't been able to find it again. Some people recognize that when most pitchers deal with that situation (remember Brad Bergesen?), they do not return to previous form. He wasn't hurt the entire second half last year and still had no idea where his fastball was going and had no life in his breaking pitches. He wasn't injured, he was broken. There's a big difference. I haven't seen any "hate" towards Tillman, just recognition that he is likely done.

3 minutes ago, johnegogo said:

Tillman is working out with the club so we have a unique insight into how he looks. If Dan/Buck think he looks healthy I have not issues with brining him back even on a ML contract but we still need at least one of Cobb/Lynn. 

Do we know if he's still working out there now that the training facility is full of guys who are actually on the team?

Schmuck's column this morning said that was something to watch... if Tilly is still at the facility now that camp has begun, it would be an indication we are going to sign him for sure.

4 hours ago, auzzy98 said:

I've been critical of Buck keeping on running him out there while it was clear he wasn't right. It's nothing against Tillman personally. He lost his arm slot, if he had it back, he'd already have signed with the O's or someone else. He threw at mini-camp, so the team would know if it was back. It's sad and unfortunate, but he's brutally hittable from that slot. I'd be ok with a MiLB deal with solid MLB salary if he makes the team.

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Do we know if he's still working out there now that the training facility is full of guys who are actually on the team?

Schmuck's column this morning said that was something to watch... if Tilly is still at the facility now that camp has begun, it would be an indication we are going to sign him for sure.

"Interest remains in bringing back Chris Tillman, who’s working out in Sarasota. Tillman is hoping to land a major league deal, but he may not have an offer on the table at the moment.

The Orioles engaged in recent talks with Tillman’s agent and there were internal discussions about him again today as pitchers and catchers reported to the Ed Smith Stadium complex. The Orioles haven’t moved on from him and likely would want to chance to match any offer that he receives.

He won’t be hard to reach. He can be found inside their weight room."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/perci-garner-on-knee-surgery-and-signing-with-the-orioles.html

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I've been critical of Buck keeping on running him out there while it was clear he wasn't right. It's nothing against Tillman personally. He lost his arm slot, if he had it back, he'd already have signed with the O's or someone else. He threw at mini-camp, so the team would know if it was back. It's sad and unfortunate, but he's brutally hittable from that slot. I'd be ok with a MiLB deal with solid MLB salary if he makes the team.

Yeah I would mind Tillman back on a one year deal either.   We just need two starters who can put together even a bad season.   I mean a 5.00 ERA while pitching 150 innings is good enough to improve the team at this point. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Brewers sign Wade Miley.

1 year.  $2.5mm guaranteed.  Incentives up to $5.7mm.

If we had signed Gallardo and Miley, we'd be burning down the warehouse.  The Brewers, ostensibly contenders, do it.

Weird.

Minor league deal. $2.5mm guaranteed if he makes the team.

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

He has admitted that he changed his delivery while his shoulder was injured and hasn't been able to find it again. Some people recognize that when most pitchers deal with that situation (remember Brad Bergesen?), they do not return to previous form. He wasn't hurt the entire second half last year and still had no idea where his fastball was going and had no life in his breaking pitches. He wasn't injured, he was broken. There's a big difference. I haven't seen any "hate" towards Tillman, just recognition that he is likely done.

How do you know he wasn't still dealing with the injury the second half? Why would a pitcher headed for free agency for the first time admit he was hurt?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Brewers sign Wade Miley.

1 year.  $2.5mm guaranteed.  Incentives up to $5.7mm.

If we had signed Gallardo and Miley, we'd be burning down the warehouse.  The Brewers, ostensibly contenders, do it.

Weird.

Miley belongs in the NL.  He will be solid for them. The AL was in his head.

Archived