Cashner signing

jcaponio

You know you have all been waiting for it...

Fangraphs take on the Cashner signing.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-are-paying-money-to-andrew-cashner/

Loved this bit.

The Orioles don’t look that good, in particular in a division that already has the Red Sox and Yankees. But if you’re not going to sell, you might as well do something else. Call it optimism or call it stubbornness, but the Orioles are going to give this a try.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, you could be right. What if Brady has been told that he will be the GM once Dan leaves? Wouldn't that be interesting? I hope Brady met with Cashner to see what kind of physical shape he was in. I definitely trust Brady when it comes to physical fitness. I thought Brady was just a fitness guy rather than a guy who meets free agents.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know you have all been waiting for it...

Fangraphs take on the Cashner signing.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-are-paying-money-to-andrew-cashner/

Loved this bit.

Agree, fair piece. Highly unlikely to make them a contender.  Then again, someone has to fill those rotation spots. The $$ spent here isn't blocking any prospect or setting the team back if/when it is time to sell.

5 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Yeah, you could be right. What if Brady has been told that he will be the GM once Dan leaves? Wouldn't that be interesting? I hope Brady met with Cashner to see what kind of physical shape he was in. I definitely trust Brady when it comes to physical fitness. I thought Brady was just a fitness guy rather than a guy who meets free agents.

Brady was probably the reason Remold and Matusz were on the team so long.   Also read how Brady was so high on Wright it caused the pitching and bullpen coaches to not.   Plus him getting Trumbo to sign deal with club.   Brady doesn't have the best track record. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gtown said:

Agree, fair piece. Highly unlikely to make them a contender.  Then again, someone has to fill those rotation spots. The $$ spent here isn't blocking any prospect or setting the team back if/when it is time to sell.

Because of the deferred money, he may be yet another trade piece at the deadline should the Orioles fail. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What if the team is supporting the law firm?

That wouldn't shock me. Angelos made the majority of his money from the Asbestos and Tobacco lawsuits. That was a while ago. Add in his advanced age and the Team carrying them would make sense. This adds credence to Tony's Take that they might be getting ready to sell.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

That wouldn't shock me. Angelos made the majority of his money from the Asbestos and Tobacco lawsuits. That was a while ago. Add in his advanced age and the Team carrying them would make sense. This adds credence to Tony's Take that they might be getting ready to sell.

Russell retired too. 

2 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I am sure he still has plenty of money.   

• Upvote 1