Who Drops Off The 40 Man? (2018 Edition)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

A staph infection is a bit more serious than a "virus", especially if he contracted MRSA. 

Depends on what kind of virus.   Either way its not life threating.   He will be back in a week or two to compete for the back up catcher spot.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Depends on what kind of virus.   Either way its not life threating.   He will be back in a week or two to compete for the back up catcher spot.

MRSA is life threatening if it gets in the blood stream rather than a localized infection.  It also can get into joints and be nearly impossible to treat, leading to serious damage. If they have him staying in the hospital, then it's serious. I had it before, and I thought I had a bad case, but they gave me a strong cocktail of IV antibotics and released me.

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

MRSA is life threatening if it gets in the blood stream rather than a localized infection.  It also can get into joints and be nearly impossible to treat, leading to serious damage. If they have him staying in the hospital, then it's serious. I had it before, and I thought I had a bad case, but they gave me a strong cocktail of IV antibotics and released me.

The flu is a virus and it is killing people every day.  What is your point?

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The flu is a virus and it is killing people every day.  What is your point?

Did I say anything about the flu? I'm just saying if Susac is hospitalized overnight for MRSA, that's serious, and perhaps not something he'll recover quickly or fully from.

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Did I say anything about the flu? I'm just saying if Susac is hospitalized overnight for MRSA, that's serious, and perhaps not something he'll recover quickly or fully from.

OK, I had not heard he had MRSA.  I agree with you.  My mother in law had it many times.  It is very serious.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, I had not heard he had MRSA.  I agree with you.  My mother in law had it many times.  It is very serious.

I don't think we are certain it's Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), but it's definitely a Staphylococcus aureus infection of some type which can be just as serious, although easier to treat due to the wider array of antibiotics that are effective against it. I'll add if he was hospitalized overnight for any staph infection, MRSA or not, it's serious. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think we are certain it's Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), but it's definitely a Staphylococcus aureus infection of some type which can be just as serious, although easier to treat due to the wider array of antibiotics that are effective against it. I'll add if he was hospitalized overnight for any staph infection, MRSA or not, it's serious. 

My wife had a staph infection that lodged on one of her heart valves.   She spent ten days in the hospital and came close to needing surgery , but eventually it responded to antibiotics, which she had to take through a PIC line for six weeks after she got out of the hospital.

Obviously, we have no information that Susac’s Infection is that level of serious.  Maybe he’ll be back on the field in a few days.    But it also could be a lot more serious than some garden variety virus.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

My wife had a staph infection that lodged on one of her heart valves.   She spent ten days in the hospital and came close to needing surgery , but eventually it responded to antibiotics, which she had to take through a PIC line for six weeks after she got out of the hospital.

Obviously, we have no information that Susac’s Infection is that level of serious.  Maybe he’ll be back on the field in a few days.    But it also could be a lot more serious than some garden variety virus.    

Glad she's alright, but yeah, if staph of any type gets into the blood stream it's bad news, it'll spread to the organs and hide itself in hard to treat areas.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

One never gets over MRSA, it just goes dormant.

Not true, I was tested and cleared of being a MRSA carrier before I had my ACL surgery. If you don't believe me,

Will I always have MRSA? Maybe. Many people who have active infections are treated and no longer have MRSA. However, sometimes MRSA goes away after treatment and comes back several times. If MRSA infections keep coming back again and again, your health care provider can help you sort out the reasons you keep getting them. Even if active infections go away, you can still have MRSA bacteria on your skin and in your nose. This means you are now a carrier of MRSA. You may not get sick or have any more skin infections, but you can spread MRSA to others. It is not fully understood why some people are carriers of MRSA, yet don’t get infections.

From http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/HAI/Public Education/Living with MRSA.pdf

So basically, you can carry it, but not all people who have it continue to carry it. 30% of the population carries it anyways but most will never be infected.

Archived