NEED one of the Big Three Pitchers Left

Bahama O's Fan

22 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah if you could get them on 2 year deals sign them both.   Of course, its not my money.  The pitching staff right now is already weak.  What if one of the top 3 starters goes on the Disabled List in April. You might as well give up on the season right there.  I feel you need at least one more starter to put a competitive team on the field.   I am not sure how long until Hunter Harvey is ready. That should determine whether you sign two of them (Like this is a possibility)

They were predicted early in offseason to be looking at 12-14 per.  I think $60M over 2 years for both Lynn and Cobb with healthy player options in 3rd year would be in the realm of possibility.

I mentioned in another thread that there’s no one on a large contract after 19 except Davis so there’s not a ton of risk.

Lets do it and go to war with the team we’ve go while they are all still here.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I doubt Arrieta himself would describe any future where he's a bad pitcher as perfect revenge.

If he thought he would be a good pitcher going forward he would sign a one year deal and restablish  value. He knows he is on a downward spiral so he is trying to get a 7 year deal.

Good article explaining why all three of these guys are still unsigned.

https://www.101sports.com/2018/02/28/legit-reasons-lynn-arrieta-cobb-remain-unsigned/

Lynn had the forth-worst K-BB ratio in 2017, and the fifth worst FIP.  He relies heavily on his fastball, and his fastball velocity is going down slightly for three years.

Cobb's road ERA wasn't great (4.72) and opposing hitters had nearly .800 OPS vs him on the road.  Also his ground ball rate decreased by 8% last year.  

Arrieta got crushed by lefties last year (.843 OPS) and has lost velocity in the past few years.  His BABIP against went up 40 points last year when the Cubs defense stopped being elite.  

That said, I'd still give Lynn/Cobb a 3 year deal.  Team needs innings eaters even after this season.  

58 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Good article explaining why all three of these guys are still unsigned.

https://www.101sports.com/2018/02/28/legit-reasons-lynn-arrieta-cobb-remain-unsigned/

Lynn had the forth-worst K-BB ratio in 2017, and the fifth worst FIP.  He relies heavily on his fastball, and his fastball velocity is going down slightly for three years.

Cobb's road ERA wasn't great (4.72) and opposing hitters had nearly .800 OPS vs him on the road.  Also his ground ball rate decreased by 8% last year.  

Arrieta got crushed by lefties last year (.843 OPS) and has lost velocity in the past few years.  His BABIP against went up 40 points last year when the Cubs defense stopped being elite.  

That said, I'd still give Lynn/Cobb a 3 year deal.  Team needs innings eaters even after this season.  

Most every team looking at them would give them three years. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Evidently the Twins offered Lynn a 2 year deal with total money of around 12 million.  Seems like we could get Lynn and Cobb if we wanted to. 

You wonder if this is the modern social media age type of collusionary practices that go on....a team makes a  lowball offer knowing it will be rejected, then leaks it or another interested team “source”just  makes it up about there being a Twins lowball offer and then leaks it in order to drive the ultimate price down...Boras would do this kind of thing from the agent side all the time...

I think the signing of Tillman, albeit not big financially, closed the doors on signing any of them.  I would like to see Angelos give Arrieta a one year deal though, because I think with him and the other 4 guys currently slated in the rotation, we have a shot to compete in the AL East, not just for the wild card.  I don't care if we have 5 right handed starters, if they're the best five then lets go.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Evidently the Twins offered Lynn a 2 year deal with total money of around 12 million.  Seems like we could get Lynn and Cobb if we wanted to. 

another poster wrote that Cobb failed Orioles physical, not sure, how valid that was, but it does remain true that Oriole doctors are easy to get passed.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

another poster wrote that Cobb failed Orioles physical, not sure, how valid that was, but it does remain true that Oriole doctors are easy to get passed.

A poster postulated that Cobb would fail an Orioles physical?

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Aye, thanks for the explanation, I misinterpreted that.

Oh I don't know....lol.  I was asking, I missed that post.   No way a deal was done and Cobb got to a physical without anything at all being reported, right?

2 hours ago, acarter1 said:

I think the signing of Tillman, albeit not big financially, closed the doors on signing any of them.  I would like to see Angelos give Arrieta a one year deal though, because I think with him and the other 4 guys currently slated in the rotation, we have a shot to compete in the AL East, not just for the wild card.  I don't care if we have 5 right handed starters, if they're the best five then lets go.

Bowden thinks the Orioles are still in on Cobb and Lynn.  Hoping for one of the two. https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/status/969602577498361864 

Archived