Worse contract-Hosmer or Davis

OriolesMagic83

34 minutes ago, cimota said:

He won't be released as long as Angelos is the owner.  He could be batting .111 and he will be our starting first baseman. 

I wonder, is it possible to be a decent offensive player while hitting .111?  The answer is "probably not".

If you went 67-for-600 you'd be hitting .112.  If all 67 of those hits were home runs, you'd still need to walk at least 150 times to have a league-average OPS. The closest anyone ever came to that was probably Mark McGwire's last season where he hit .187, had 29 homers on 56 hits, and walked another 56 times in 364 PAs.  That was good for a 105 OPS+.

Davis would "fall down in the parking lot" and see extended DL time if he hit .111 for about six weeks.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder, is it possible to be a decent offensive player while hitting .111?  The answer is "probably not".

If you went 67-for-600 you'd be hitting .112.  If all 67 of those hits were home runs, you'd still need to walk at least 150 times to have a league-average OPS. The closest anyone ever came to that was probably Mark McGwire's last season where he hit .187, had 29 homers on 56 hits, and walked another 56 times in 364 PAs.  That was good for a 105 OPS+.

Davis would "fall down in the parking lot" and see extended DL time if he hit .111 for about six weeks.

Or have his drinking water laced with Adderall.  

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If factoring in Davis getting that big contract probably kept us from keeping Manny...it's Davis all day.

Actually, I think that they gave the big contract to Davis because they had already decided that they couldn't afford $300 million that Manny was going to demand in free agency.  So they bought the player that they could afford.  

Davis didn't keep us from signing Manny.  Not signing Manny allowed us to keep Davis, for better or worse.

30 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Actually, I think that they gave the big contract to Davis because they had already decided that they couldn't afford $300 million that Manny was going to demand in free agency.  So they bought the player that they could afford.  

Davis didn't keep us from signing Manny.  Not signing Manny allowed us to keep Davis, for better or worse.

I think they gave the big contract to Davis because folks convinced ownership that Davis had to be retained.  I wonder if the same folks had argued as vigorously for Machado if he would have been signed to a long term deal instead.

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd go with the old NBA standby, "lower back discomfort".  Pretty much impossible to disprove.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Judge stole more bases, and at a higher success rate, than Adam Jones.  In fact Judge would have tied for first on the O's in stolen bases.

Was commenting more on the "Neanderthal could hit a baseball pretty far" part. 

3 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Was commenting more on the "Neanderthal could hit a baseball pretty far" part. 

Finishing first in stolen bases on the Orioles, so easy a caveman could do it.

Anyway, no way a neanderthal could handle the heat and humidity you get on the east coast in the summer.

He'd have to play in Seattle.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Finishing first in stolen bases on the Orioles, so easy a caveman could do it.

Anyway, no way a neanderthal could handle the heat and humidity you get on the east coast in the summer.

He'd have to play in Seattle.

Not Seattle the 2025 Alberta Orioles. 

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Definitely possible.    But idiotic.  

Archived