O's only team that says they need to add starters

wildcard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long have you been following the team Wildcard? I appreciate your enthusiasm but if past Angelos owned teams are any indicator you will be very disappointed with whom we sign.  The more likely scenario is one of the teams saying they don't need any starting pitchers signs one of the top guys and they have to DFA one of their pitchers on their team and we pick that guy up. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

As I look around the league the stance that most every team but the O's is taking is that the are fine to go into the season with what they have in the rotation.  The O's are the only team that says they need to add starters.  The Brewers, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Yankees, Cards, Nats and Twins all seem to say they will go with what they have unless a good deal comes their way.   This is, of course, to get Cobb, Lynn and Arrieta to lower their asking price.   When they do teams will jump into the negotiations for them.   But right now  it seems only the O's are saying they need to add starters

I am not talking about Tillman and similar pitchers.  The O's, Tigers and a few others are interested in a low cost deal for Tillman.   What I am talking about is the top of the FA starter market.   It appears that the teams have stopped chasing the top FA pitchers and are waiting for the pitchers demands to come down.

This is a little surprising because after Darvish signed on Feb 10th it appeared that Cobb and Lynn would sign soon.  But here we are 9 days later.

If you are seeing something different please point me to the article.

If DD signs Lynn or Cobb I'd be very surprised. 

30 minutes ago, cimota said:

How long have you been following the team Wildcard? I appreciate your enthusiasm but if past Angelos owned teams are any indicator you will be very disappointed with whom we sign.  The more likely scenario is one of the teams saying they don't need any starting pitchers signs one of the top guys and they have to DFA one of their pitchers on their team and we pick that guy up. 

Its a valid point.  The last time the O's sign a FA for a 40m+ was Ubaldo and that did not turn out good.   But there are several elements that  are working in the favor of the O's signing one of these three pitchers.  1) they are 30m+ under last years budget 2) the owner wants to win 3) They did not trade Manny so the are going for it ( at least to start the season 4) there are pitchers that can help them still on the market.

I don't know which way it goes but I am rooting for a good outcome.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't know anything about Francisco Liriano. How bad would he be? Is he like Ubaldo bad? 

He is entering his age-34 season after a couple down years. I don't think he is Ubaldo bad but he probably wouldn't be much better. He will be cheap and he is left handed so I would bet he is more likely than Cobb or Lynn.

27 minutes ago, oriole said:

He is entering his age-34 season after a couple down years. I don't think he is Ubaldo bad but he probably wouldn't be much better. He will be cheap and he is left handed so I would bet he is more likely than Cobb or Lynn.

I've always like Liriano, and wouldn't mind him as a swing/spot starter type like he was in Toronto and then Houston.  Go get him and see if you can trade for RHP as I imagine a righty would be easier to trade for.

But forget about Cobb and Lynn.  And Arrieta, but that should go without saying.

12 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Takes out eraser then writes Francisco Liriano's name. #reality

You're probably closer to right than I am.

At this point I'm just talking ish. But just maybe I can talk this thing into existence...

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

This post isn't to say that the Orioles would sign any of the top three FA starters. I am just pointing out that the other teams are backing off to wait for them to bring their price down. It's an observation after reading articles about where each team stands with their rotation.

o

I agree with this.

o

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

The Orioles' self imposed 3 year contract will keep them at a disadvantage. 

o

In this particular case, I think that the Orioles need to adopt a Realpolitik mind-set, and make an exception to their own rule if that's what it takes to bring Cobb, Lynn, or Arrieta here for the upcoming 2018 season. They really need Tillman to start the season as the #5 starter (as opposed to the #4 starter), considering the circumstances of his most recent horrible season. 

If you have to have a starting pitcher in the rotation that has the proverbial "puncher's chance" of having a reasonably good season, it needs to be in the #5 spot, and no higher.

o

12 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't know anything about Francisco Liriano. How bad would he be? Is he like Ubaldo bad? 

I like Liriano. Offers value as a reliever too. Eventually the question is going to become do we want to pay millions guys like Liriano or Feldman, or do we just see what Ynoa, Wright and the rule 5 guys can do?

Vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson got involved in negotiations, as he did with Andrew Cashner. Manager Buck Showalter also reached out, from what I’ve heard, making it a team effort to retain Tillman.

The Orioles checked on Jake Arrieta, Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb, determined that there wasn’t a financial match and moved on from the trio.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/this-that-and-the-other-150.html

The Orioles checked on Jake Arrieta, Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb, determined that there wasn’t a financial match and moved on from the trio.

O's are not interested at the current price.  They are waiting for the prices to drop like several other teams.

Archived