Most important player for 2018?

Frobby

While I agree with Frobby that the variance in potential outcomes with Tillman could have the most impact, what if Rasmus is healthy and rebounds to career averages? What if he can play above average defense, spell Jones to keep him healthier. and take advantage of the short porch? The potential production of a "good Rasmus" in 120 games versus some combo of Santander, Gentry, and Hayes vs right handed pitchers may be greater than Tilly. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Zach Britton.

Last year we lost of whole slew of close games, year before we went into the playoffs on the back of winning close games (and then didn't use Britton in the WC game). It will be hard to start the year without him, and his value is continuously understated. 

Funny, one of the candidates for me is Brach.   Can he hold the fort as closer until Britton comes back?    He was very spotty in the closer role when called upon last year, having some runs of dominance but then blowing some pretty easy saves.    I assume he’ll get the nod again this year.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess where I’m coming from is that the variability in Tillman’s possibile performance is very dramatic and high impact.    I don’t see Bundy, Gausman or Cashner as having nearly as high a risk of implosion as Tillman.  Obviously, that risk does exist with any pitcher, but it’s much higher with Tillman in light of last year.    And yet, we also know how good Tillman can be, and he’s a bulldog when he’s on his game.    

I agree with you, Frobby. If Tillman returns to form - they get back their "ace" from the 2014-2016 seasons. If he pitches like he can, that's a big deal.

I also think Chris Davis' performance this year is a big deal. He can carry a team when he's hot. He can also sink an offense when he's not. If he can hit 30HR and at get his OBP up to where it can be, I think that helps the entire lineup be a lot better. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Which player do you think has the biggest impact on whether the O’s have another losing season or play pretty good baseball?

I could go a few different directions on this, but I’d say it’s Chris Tillman.   A full rebound by him would make a drastic improvement in our rotation, give us a lot of innings and solidify the rotation.    If he’s as bad as he was in 2017, or anywhere close to that bad, we’re pretty much doomed.     And if he’s in the middle — say, 5.00ish ERA like in 2015, that probably still puts us at .500 or below.    

There’s lots of other candidates, but to me as Tillman goes, so go the O’s.    And that may not be a good thing.  

You have a good point about Tillman. 

Chris Davis for 2018. If he can hit consistently, move runners, and become a protector in the lineup this year.. all the better.

If he has another performance like 2017, then at some point in 2018.. it becomes "the year of decision" for 2019.

Even though the SP doing well is most important for a productive season, it's shared between 5+ starters and honestly, they all need to do well enough so the load is shared.

As far as individual players, I gotta say Chris Davis. If we can get a legit feared slugger in the lineup that's going to do good things for the guys hitting around him. Also anything to take the pressure off Jones can have a real positive effect on his hitting. Jones is at his worst when he is trying to be the hero.

Man Frobby, there are just so many places to go here:

1. If players like Manny, Jones, Britton and Brach (and even Schoop) catch fire in their contract years, they would be huge in helping this team win.

2. If Davis and Trumbo rebound to the power guys we know they can be, even with the ton of strikeouts they would add runs in a hurry and tax our opponents pitching.

3. If Gausman and Bundy put together a complete season, we could be looking at TOR guys for years to come.

4. If Tillman bounces back to career averages and looks nothing like last year, he’ll be a steal at 3 million.

5. Cashner could be a great addition if he continues last years successes. In any ever he can’t be worse than Miley or Ubaldo last year.

6. What if the one remaining rotation spot creates real competition and someone steps up and finds his groove? We could find a diamond in the rough here.

Unfortunately, that’s way too many ifs for me. So, I think the most important players this year are Mancini, Hays, Cisco, Mountcastle, and any other young guys who get the call up this season. We need to see that these guys can be the foundation of the next run for the Orioles, and if these guys falter (think Calvary version 3) then we are truly in for another run of underwhelming baseball in Baltimore.

5 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Man Frobby, there are just so many places to go here:

1. If players like Manny, Jones, Britton and Brach (and even Schoop) catch fire in their contract years, they would be huge in helping this team win.

2. If Davis and Trumbo rebound to the power guys we know they can be, even with the ton of strikeouts they would add runs in a hurry and tax our opponents pitching.

3. If Gausman and Bundy put together a complete season, we could be looking at TOR guys for years to come.

4. If Tillman bounces back to career averages and looks nothing like last year, he’ll be a steal at 3 million.

5. Cashner could be a great addition if he continues last years successes. In any ever he can’t be worse than Miley or Ubaldo last year.

6. What if the one remaining rotation spot creates real competition and someone steps up and finds his groove? We could find a diamond in the rough here.

Unfortunately, that’s way too many ifs for me. So, I think the most important players this year are Mancini, Hays, Cisco, Mountcastle, and any other young guys who get the call up this season. We need to see that these guys can be the foundation of the next run for the Orioles, and if these guys falter (think Calvary version 3) then we are truly in for another run of underwhelming baseball in Baltimore.

So great to see Dipaula back..but Calvary?  Well, it is Sunday and Lent so we can relate!  :ph34r:

If if if if - DACA!

Archived