Lynn or Cobb? Who is your first choice?

orioles4lyfe

Who would you want the O's to sign between Lynn and Cobb  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want the O's to sign between Lynn and Cobb

• Lynn
    • Cobb

As per Roch this morning: "The Orioles aren’t done attempting to upgrade their roster, with a source confirming yesterday that they remain in contact with the agents for pitchers Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn and Jake Arrieta. They’re not sitting back and saying they have no interest. There’s a sense within the industry that all three pitchers are coming down from their initial contractual goals, though one person told me yesterday that Arrieta’s is “still high.” And while the ideal scenario for the Orioles is a deal below three years, they aren’t refusing to guarantee that amount, according to a source."

After reading Roch's post, I realized that I've been hoping all offseason that the O's sign 1 of Lynn or Cobb, but don't know that much about them. Does anyone have a good scouting report on the two? Like what their stuff is like/what pitches they throw? I'm assuming Arrieta isn't a realistic option to come back.

Both pitchers are 30.

Lynn has a Career 3.38 ERA, S0/9 of 8.5, and has hit 170+ innings pitched five times. 

Cobb has a Career 3.50 ERA, S0/9 of 7.3, and hit 179 IP last year, but the other highest innings pitched in a year are: 166 IP, 143 IP, 136 IP. He does have AL East experience though. 

Between the 2, who would you prefer? Looking forward to hearing what the hangout has to say :) 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slight preference for Cobb due to his AL East experience.    However, I’d be happy with either, and still think it’s 99.9% probable we’ll get neither.    

Dan Connolly said we’ve had contact with Lynn’s agent this winter but haven’t really shown interest in Cobb.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Slight preference for Cobb due to his AL East experience.    However, I’d be happy with either, and still think it’s 99.9% probable we’ll get neither.    

Dan Connolly said we’ve had contact with Lynn’s agent this winter but haven’t really shown interest in Cobb.

Do we know what other teams are still looking to add starters? 

Despite my usual AL chauvinism, it's Lynn for me.  Innings reliability to keep the hot relievers fresher longer throughout the year.

I can understand his HR spike last year due to the ball and Year 1 back from TJ (anecdotally, command is the last thing to return) - pre-injury he had four full seasons of HR/9 less than or equal to 0.8 before last year's 1.3.

I'd take Cobb over Lynn all things being equal.  Cobb has the experience in the AL East... which is probably why he doesn't want to pitch there anymore :P

I also think he's much closer to his 2017 season than his awful 2016 season, where he was still recovering from his injury.

That said, based on what I've heard over the off season, I am on the Lance Lynn bandwagon because it sounds like he is more of a possibility.

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If price comes down supposedly these teams and probably more if price is low:  YankeesBrewers,Phillies, Rangers, Orioles and Nationals

Just checking this out in more detail. Ranked according to need.

1. Orioles: I am biased and study our team more deeply, but we really have nothing proven at #5 for a team that wants to "contend". And every placeholder in the rotation has their own unique question marks. 

2. Phillies have a decent crop of young ens, but definitely could upgrade should they choose. Kind of across the board instability, but youth & talent. 

3. Rangers #4 & #5 are Matt Moore then Mike Minor (they are actually grooming him as a starter). Seems like they could use an upgrade if they are serious about contending. 

4. The Brewers #5 is Gallardo.. LOL. Brewers could use an upgrade. But I could see where they sit on their hands and try him out. 

5. The Nats #5 is AJ Cole. Young guy, decent start to his career. Could upgrade but solid team w/o upgrade, obviously. 

6. Yankees #5 is Jordan Montgomery. Yanks are pretty well off, but I'm sure they could bump somebody to set themselves apart even more. 

I think #1-4 are all pretty similar as far as need. I personally think the Rangers and the Brewers should be our biggest threats in terms of need and desires to contend. I wish the Yanks and the Nats would be content with what they have, but landing Arrieta especially could be a real splash for them. 

We'll see how it plays out. 

30 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Despite my usual AL chauvinism, it's Lynn for me.  Innings reliability to keep the hot relievers fresher longer throughout the year.

I can understand his HR spike last year due to the ball and Year 1 back from TJ (anecdotally, command is the last thing to return) - pre-injury he had four full seasons of HR/9 less than or equal to 0.8 before last year's 1.3.

This is what I was thinking as well. 

If we do get 1 of these 2, I'd feel a lot more optimistic going into the season. As it stands now, Tillman would have to bounce back, Cashner would have to not regress, and the Top 4 pitchers would have to ALL stay healthy. Thats pretty unrealistic no matter how optimistic one is. Signing Lynn/Cobb would give us a lot more stability and some breathing/wiggle room. 

8 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Just checking this out in more detail. Ranked according to need.

1. Orioles: I am biased and study our team more deeply, but we really have nothing proven at #5 for a team that wants to "contend". And every placeholder in the rotation has their own unique question marks. 

2. Phillies have a decent crop of young ens, but definitely could upgrade should they choose. Kind of across the board instability, but youth & talent. 

3. Rangers #4 & #5 are Matt Moore then Mike Minor (they are actually grooming him as a starter). Seems like they could use an upgrade if they are serious about contending. 

4. The Brewers #5 is Gallardo.. LOL. Brewers could use an upgrade. 

5. The Nats #5 is AJ Cole. Young guy, decent start to his career. Could upgrade but solid team w/o upgrade

6. Yankees #5 is Jordan Montgomery

I think #1-4 are all pretty similar as far as need. I personally think the Rangers and the Brewers should be our biggest threats in terms of need and desires to contend. I wish the Yanks and the Nats would be content with what they have, but landing Arrieta especially could be a real splash for them. 

We'll see how it plays out. 

Arietta has been connected to the Phils and I believe the Nats. I think he'll end up with the Phils. The Yanks are probably staying put, aren't they close to the luxury tax? They'll probably make a trade deadline addition if need be. I'm worried about the Brewers (they had an offer out to Darvish), then Nats/Rangers in that order. 

Archived