Is Lincecum a Hall of Famer?

theocean

Tim Lincecum signed today with the Rangers and it got me thinking - even if he is terrible in 2018 and never pitches a decent game ever again - is Lincecum a Hall of Famer?

He really only had four good seasons: 2008-2011 where he won two Cy Youngs and finished in the top ten of voting the other two years. From 2012-2016 he was mediocre at best.

So, certainly he doesn't have the longevity factor going for him. But two Cy Youngs and a part of three World Series teams? That has to count for something right? 

I'd have made a far greater argument for Bret Saberhagen before even considering Lincecum.  Saberhagen's 1984-1991 period accumulated 40.8 WAR, 69% of his career WAR.  Even setting aside injuries, he has been mostly awful even in the years where he has started over 30 games since 2011.  If you were letting in guys based on short but productive peaks, the ballot would be filled to the brim with candidates.

1 hour ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I'd have made a far greater argument for Bret Saberhagen before even considering Lincecum.  Saberhagen's 1984-1991 period accumulated 40.8 WAR, 69% of his career WAR.  Even setting aside injuries, he has been mostly awful even in the years where he has started over 30 games since 2011.  If you were letting in guys based on short but productive peaks, the ballot would be filled to the brim with candidates.

Melvin Mora. Come on down!

Obviously I’m piling on here, but even Lincecum’s 7-year peak (25.1 rWAR) doesn’t match up with a typical Hall of Fame pitcher (50.7 rWAR).     He was fun to watch in his all-too short prime, though.  

8 hours ago, thatbearflies said:

I'm certain that Lincecum is going to be immortalized in the Hall of Really Good for future generations to see. And for those wondering - Yes, in a Giants hat. ^_^

"The Beast" can be placed aside "The Bird".  :clap:

13 hours ago, bobmc said:

"The Beast" can be placed aside "The Bird".  :clap:

Maybe if Lincecum had pitched well enough to have a book written about him we could consider it. The Bird inspired the literary masterpiece that is "No Big Deal." 2.5 stars on Amazon for those keeping score at home. And if you double 2.5, you get 5, which is a perfect score so, you could say that Fidrych is kind of a big deal. 

Archived