MLB Trade Rumors Predicts We Sign CarGo

Rene88

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like CarGo more than most, but I doubt he's any better than Rasmus. Certainly wouldn't be as good a defender. MLBTR is a little off base on this one. Doesn't make much sense post-Rasmus signing. 

Trying to catch a Trumbo like first season out of him. That would be why. I like Rasmus. 

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like CarGo more than most, but I doubt he's any better than Rasmus. Certainly wouldn't be as good a defender. MLBTR is a little off base on this one. Doesn't make much sense post-Rasmus signing. 

CarGo has been and still is a much better player than Colby Rasmus.  Rasmus has never done anything near what CarGo has done and yes, he had a down year at 32, but Rasmus is a 4th outfielder at best and is aging too.  A comeback year fron CarGo would be a steal, imho.  

And his former teammates probably aten’t missing Colby too much. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/26/carlos-gonzalez-missed-rockies-nolan-arenado/

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

CarGo has been and still is a much better player than Colby Rasmus.  Rasmus has never done anything near what CarGo has done and yes, he had a down year at 32, but Rasmus is a 4th outfielder at best and is aging too.  A comeback year fron CarGo would be a steal, imho.  

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/26/carlos-gonzalez-missed-rockies-nolan-arenado/

Thats a big if, and not a given, that CarGo could have a bounce back year outside of Colorado.

16 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree with this. Sure CarGo  would be a bit of a hail mary, but to compare him to a a career .242 hitting who willingly quite baseball last season is ridiculous. You all need to start being realistic about Rasmus.  

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree with this. Sure CarGo  would be a bit of a hail mary, but to compare him to a a career .242 hitting who willingly quite baseball last season is ridiculous. You all need to start being realistic about Rasmus.  

Realistic is, Colby is here on a MIL deal with ST, and its an audition for him.

So far, he is showing signs he has baseball left in the tank.

Yes, he quit baseball last season, he was hurt and wife was pregnant, so he wants to come back, while not, give it a try, very low risk move on the Orioles.

But, you want to find fault with it.

I hope they spend the money on Cobb. I'm warming to the idea of Rasmus on the team and both Rasmus and Gonzalez cannot both exist on this roster. Not unless we trade one of Trumbo or Mancini.

I would actually love to see what they could get for Mancini. I know the 1B/DH market is about as low as it gets but if we could put together a Mancini/Sisco package for Realmuto that would do a lot for this team defensively. 

56 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I say no to Cargo even though Hays is not ready yet in my opinion. i think Mullins sticks and Hays goes to AAA. I would offer Lynn 2/20. That is reasonable money.

I am probably the biggest Mullins fan there is and I think he has a big uphill climb to make the OD roster. I hope I am wrong though.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I wouldn't complain about a signing, but it doesn't make a lot of sense overall. CarGo -2.2 career dWAR, Rasmus 4.3 career dWAR. The team needs defense out there more than it needs a thumper. And that might be stretch considering he only hit 14 last year in Colorado.

CarGo has the more prolific offensive career, but in 2018 there's not a whole lot separating the two players IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

.606 OPS in 2017 away from Coors Field.

.744 in 2016 away from Coors Field.

.758 OPS in 2015 away from Coors Field.

.544 OPS in 2014 away from Coors Field.

Please.

That is ugly, but has there been some statistical evidence that some of the extreme splits normalize when hitters are no longer playing all their home games in Colorado?

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like DD, but talk about a perfect storm for his approach. I mean other than Nelson Cruz. He’s gotten to have a pretty good look at the rule 5 guys and all the players in camp for that matter. Cobb, Lynn, and Arrieta are still just sitting there. 

Is it a 13 game season ticket plan to get OD tickets?  If so, if we were to sign Arrieta, you’d see a ton of those get sold. 

I doubt Arrieta is that popular.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or he could have the sea-level version of his 2017 Colorado season, which is about a .700 OPS.  Really, plug Gonzalez into the bb-ref neutralized context batting tool using OPACY as the baseline and his 2017 batting line is .244/.318/.396.

I'm not saying I'm totally against signing him, but temper expectations.  He's coming to a harder league and a park 5200 feet lower in altitude.

Why would that be ant better than Rasmus?

2 hours ago, murph said:

That is ugly, but has there been some statistical evidence that some of the extreme splits normalize when hitters are no longer playing all their home games in Colorado?

Yes, they normalize.   At a number much lower than the midpoint between their home and road splits in Colorado.   

5 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I am probably the biggest Mullins fan there is and I think he has a big uphill climb to make the OD roster. I hope I am wrong though.

I don't think that is even a consideration. A healthy MiLB season will put him BACK on the radar. 

Archived