A few little things I've noticed this spring

interloper

1. Adam Jones' stance is different, at least for the time being. He's standing slightly more open (think Machado but not as extreme) with his hands much lower (think Markakis, but not as extreme). Curious why he made the change, but it certainly hasn't hurt his productivity in limited spring ABs. 
  2. Asher had a weird outing versus the Phillies the other day. The Philly broadcasters mentioned how he was throwing mostly cutters and, having seen him a bunch as a former Philly, they described him as normally being a sinker guy. That checks out with what I recall from him last season. But he was throwing almost exclusively cutters in the 88 MPH range as opposed to his usual low 90s fastball. And it was all over the place; he could barely command it. That said, he allowed no runs. Wonder if he's transitioning to using it exclusively as perhaps a reliever or simply working to add it to his repertoire. Either way, struck me as odd for a guy who should be competing for the 5th spot.
  3. Someone needs to help Rickard figure himself out at the plate. I would describe him right now as "former line drive hitter Joey Rickard", because he seems to have lost the best part of his game. He's underneath everything, a lot of pop-ups. To my untrained eye it looks like a lot of head movement and he gets too low when he swings. I enjoyed the first half of his rookie season where he was spraying line drives all over the place (gosh... remember the "Joey" chants? Seems like forever ago...), but he's starting to fade into oblivion pretty quickly.

I've never really been impressed with Rickard's approach at the plate.   Decent right-handed pitching gives him fits.   He's pretty good against lefties, but he's not good enough defensively (in my eyes) to keep as a 5th outfielder/platoon guy.

2 hours ago, interloper said:
  1. Someone needs to help Rickard figure himself out at the plate. I would describe him right now as "former line drive hitter Joey Rickard", because he seems to have lost the best part of his game. He's underneath everything, a lot of pop-ups. To my untrained eye it looks like a lot of head movement and he gets too low when he swings. I enjoyed the first half of his rookie season where he was spraying line drives all over the place (gosh... remember the "Joey" chants? Seems like forever ago...), but he's starting to fade into oblivion pretty quickly.

Trey said in his interview yesterday that was a "flaw" from last year he was really focusing on, keeping his head still.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Also, Trumbo looks every bit as lost as he did last season. Even Bordick couldn't hold back from saying he looks "in between". 

Yep, that was my take from watching yesterday's telecast.   The entire lineup looked locked in and good at the plate... except Trumbo.

Glad it's just March 5.

Archived