Connolly's Jon Jay obsession on full display

wildcard

Dan Connolly wrote an article taking Dan Duquette to task for not signing Jon Jay.   In the article he shows a lot of understanding  of some of the issues surrounding the O's adding an outfielder this off season but he  ignores most of those issues when drawing his conclusion.

Connolly gets that the O's see Austin Hays as their right field of the future and did not want to block his progress to the majors.   He gets that a minor league contract to Rasmus  held some value as to not make a full commit to him making the roster until Opening Day.   He understands that Jay wanted a two year deal  major league deal which may not fit in the development of Hays Mullins, Santander, Stewart and others.   .  But he throws those facts away in concluding that Dan should have signed Jay and he contends that Dan made a mistake in not waiting and doing just that.  

Connolly does not like Rasmus strikeouts and loves Jays OBP.     That is a good argument if everything else is ignored. which is what he does in his conclusion

In fact is that  Rasmus was signed on Feb 21st to a minor league contract.  The O's 40 man roster was full and Dan did not want to waive any one for a short term fix in RF.    Rasmus met the Os need for a left-handed outfielder that could play good defense.   Jay was at least publicly asking for a two year major league contract at that time..  Jay didn't sign for another two weeks and it was a major league contract.  No one knows if Jay would have picked that O's over the Royals.   

The O's major need of Feb 21st was and still is starters.   The O's want to look at what they have in camp and keep looking at the FA starter market.   This is the move that can make or break the O's 2018 season.  Not Jay vs Rasmus.    If Hays gets healthy and plays the way he did last year he will be in the majors before long while Jay/ Rasmus will take a back seat.   If Dan kicks people of the 40 roster it will be for additional  pitching.   Or that some 40 man roster players like Ynoa,or Mesa have run out of time and can't make the 25 man roster.   This will open a spot for Rasmus and may  Joely Rodriguez  by opening day.

While I understand Connolly's obsession with Jay's OBP  I think he should step back and look at the bigger picture and save his criticism for Dan for bigger, better issies. 

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/03/06/no-excuses-including-financial-hold-orioles-decision-not-aggressively-pursue-jay/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not like Jay is a great player.  He'll give you about one win.  Colby Rasmus probably gives you two.  It's just that Jay arrives there in a different fashion - one that the Orioles seriously lack in.

But ultimately it's all about the starting pitching.

Jon Jay is the better player so....I am not opposed to Rasmus but I see the point.

But I get Wildcard's point...bigger fish to fry. Indeed. Like no international scouting....not trading Britton...not trading Manny...low investment on scouting....having an atrocious SP staff year after year...

I’d rather have Jay for what he signed for than Rasmus on the MiL deal we gave him.   Even if we had to throw $1-2 mm more at Jay, I’d have preferred it.    I hear what you’re saying about Rasmus’ deal not being guaranteed, but I just think Jay is steadier and more reliable both as a player and in the clubhouse.    

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's not like Jay is a great player.  He'll give you about one win.  Colby Rasmus probably gives you two.  It's just that Jay arrives there in a different fashion - one that the Orioles seriously lack in.

But ultimately it's all about the starting pitching.

Rasmus played less than 1/4 of the season in 2017 and out-WARed Jay.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Isn't Jon Jay just Nick Markakis with Adam Jones' footspeed and none of the magic Nick Markakis intangibles?  He's 32 and hasn't been worth two wins since 2014.  What did the Royals pay for him?

Jay is like Markakis yeah.  Maybe that's why we want him.  However, the Royals paid just $3 mil + incentives, and this would be his fourth team in four years.

Personally, I think the Orioles solved their LH RF problem with Rasmus.

Rasmus is a plus defender when healthy.  The metrics seem to indicate that Jay is a poor defender.  Rasmus doesn't do OBP but does give you SLG.  Jay doesn't slug but gets on base. Neither are stolen base threats at the moment.  Rasmus is marginally better I suppose.  

I'm pissed we weren't in on Dyson.  He has way better speed than Rasmus/Jay, is a bit better defender than Rasmus, and usually has better OBP than Rasmus.  

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Over the past 4 years Jon Jay has been worth 4.8 WAR.

Over that same span Rasmus has been worth 7 WAR.  

Rasmus is younger.

What are we upset about again?

Just the usual, somebody else not signed is 100x better than what is on the team roster. :)

Archived