Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Legend_Of_Joey

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Maybe! Depends on what he's hearing from his minor league coaches, and maybe better to get into his head now while he still can make some changes rather than late. And if it works, great. If it doesn't, he's an Adam Jones type of aggressive hitter anyway and that'll probably be fine, too. 

His problem is worse than Jones right now... and Jones offense was great as an above average defensive center fielder. It would not have been very good as a defensively challenged left fielder or first baseman.

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

Adam Jones didn't walk much in minors.  

He had a 7% walk rate in the minors, compared to Mountcastle’s 4% (2% at Bowie after he got promoted).     That’s a big difference.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well instead of him basking off his ST press clippings, Buck basically gave him a reality check. Come on Ryan, you’re a positionless, free swinger. 

I think it was positive. Now he knows what he needs to work on. 

I don't think many of us have a problem with what was said, just that Buck went public with it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think many of us have a problem with what was said, just that Buck went public with it.

It probably ticked Buck off that he laughed. So Buck didn’t want him feeling all cocky about his ST homers. So now when he gets googled the Buck “lashing” will show up too. 

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mountcastle could be an outlier like Vladimir Guerrero, but yeah he should probably try to be a bit more selective at the plate.  

Guerrero walked 9.6% of the time in A+/AA as a 21 year old.  I'm pretty sure Guerrero knew what was coming.  He just decided he could hit it anyway.  And he did.

11 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

No it's not. I've have witnessed it before. It's embarrassing to the employee. 

To many people, sure.  There are many people out there though with a blissful lack of self-awareness.  Honestly I wish I were one of them.

I really have no issue with Buck going public with it.  He knows these guys a lot better than we do.  Will be interesting to see how Mountcastle responds this year.

17 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I'm glad the Orioles are pushing for more patience amongst the younger players. I wish they'd prioritize that when acquiring players, too.

I hope Mountcastle can develop at third. He probably does, too. That's the clearest path to the big leagues as OF and 1B are far more saturated.

They probably have an opening at 2B sooner than you think. The throw is a lot easier.

45 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

To many people, sure.  There are many people out there though with a blissful lack of self-awareness.  Honestly I wish I were one of them.

I really have no issue with Buck going public with it.  He knows these guys a lot better than we do.  Will be interesting to see how Mountcastle responds this year.

Pre-requisite of any Orioles fan.

• Upvote 1