Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, atomic said:

2014 Orioles won 96 games.  I would say on paper the 2018 team looks better.  Players get injured , players have career years who is to know what will happen. At least us getting into the playoffs doesn't look like total fantasy at this point.  

Yes, but going forward it is a strange spot for a four year deal. They likely lose four of the the core next year. Would rather have had Lynn for a year then retool. 

Hard to criticize them getting a guy who could make a difference though.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will say this: two years ago I prematurely posted a “grade the offseason” thread when it was reported we had signed Gallardo and Fowler.    I had to delete the thread when Fowler showed up at Cubs camp.    So I’ll celebrate Cobb when he’s donning a jersey at a press conference, and not while he has a reported deal pending a physical.    

I was going to say, I've been watching this thread for like 2 hours now but there's no way this deal is final FINAL tonight. I think I'll go play Civilization.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think so.   That team pitched and defended extremely well.

Yeah but were they expected to pitch that well?   And no pitcher had more than 2.7 WAR that year.  Steve Pearce lead the team in WAR. Who would have expected that? 

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, but going forward it is a strange spot for a four year deal. They likely lose four of the the core next year. Would rather have had Lynn for a year then retool. 

I don't see it as that strange. AAV is not too bad, salaries might be down this offseason, but that may just be a blip on the radar as opposed to the beginning of a trend. Having Cobb around for 4 years will also leave the Orioles in a better position when it comes time to negotiate with Gausman, if the Orioles decide to keep him.

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

With the way FA played out this year, do they have 0% chance of resigning him?

Yeah its not like Angelos won't sign his own guys.  The only reason they backed off on Markakis is because of the problem with his neck.  The question I have is can Machado's knees pass an Orioles physical? 

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Losing Manny has been a foregone conclusion for a while.

I think we have good young outfielders in the pipeline who can step in and replace Adam's production at this point, if not his leadership.

Britton may never be 2016 Britton again anymore.   Brach is a good reliever (although a bit concerning this spring).   But we have some good young bullpen arms coming up.   And I predict we won't lose both ZB & BB anyway.

Obviously losing Manny is big but I think the "losing 4 guys" thing is way overplayed.   Having roster spots locked up by Trumbo and Davis in 2018 and yet again in 2019, and longer for Davis, is a bigger problem than who we are losing.   I tihnk we can mostly overcome those losses.

2019 and beyond no longer feels like "Here be dragons" territory to me.

23 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

It's not "Glenn Davis" bad. Houston was dumping Davis, shedding his salary as the ownership readied to sell the franchise. Steve Finley was the top player the Orioles had developed in years. The Orioles chose to make that trade. It wasn't just getting the bad end of a deal, it was a philosophical failure.

Losing Manny is beyond their control. Even if they had tried continuously for the past five years to sign Machado to a long-term deal, all control lays with the player.

It wasn’t beyond their control to not wait until the last minute to address the situation.

They should have addressed Manny after they pissed away the 2015 season when they had some leverage with his arbitration years. When his value wasn’t as a short term rental player. Sign or trade.

Now we’re getting some feeble attempt to go all in when it’s most likely too late.

If Manny walks and all we get is some random guy in the draft the entire front office should be fired (except we can’t even do that cause our GM is a free agent too)

In that scenario, I’m probably stepping away from following the team until someone not named Angelos is in charge. That’s last straw for me.  I’m in my mid 30’s so I figure I can outlast him and hope his kids can’t afford the inheritance tax :)  

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah its not like Angelos won't sign his own guys.  The only reason they backed off on Markakis is because of the problem with his neck.  The question I have is can Machado's knees pass an Orioles physical?

And it seemed the Orioles would have signed Markakis if they could have done so for three years instead of four.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

First time I've heard that definition.

Is that how Boras means it?

That’s how I think it’s used here in connection with Manny.    How can you be a generational talent when you’re in the same generation as Trout?

Archived