Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So it's been in the works for a long long time and Roch still gets scooped on it.

They should toss the old boy a bone once in a while.

The team contacts he has really do him dirty from time to time, he’s been writing all spring training about Wynns being a frontrunner for the 2nd C spot when I doubt that was ever the case.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:
yPdM1LQU_normal.jpg Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch)
This deal with Cobb has been in the works, I’m told, for “a long long time.” Didn’t just come together overnight. And there are zero concerns about the physical. Should be official tomorrow #orioles

If that is true then I guess there was a plan after all.  I think credit needs to be given that the Orioles signed 2 of the 5 top starting pitchers on the market.

Early in the offseason mlbtr predicted a 4 yr/48 million deal for Cobb. Then prices went down from there. Lynn signed a 1 year 12 million deal. So I don't think there is any doubt that we over paid for Cobb. The whole world knew that we had to add a decent starter. And Cobb was the last man standing. That drove his price up. That said, I am excited to have him. And I think he gives this team a punchers chance in the AL East. I also think he adds to the starting pitching inventory of this team beyond this year, which is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because you would be an infielder instead of a centerfielder.

Do you think Kershaw can't be a generational talent because of Trout?

Pitchers and hitters are such different animals that I’d say they can both be generational talents.  I’m not sure I’d see infield vs. outfield that way.    Even if I did, this is a pretty amazing group of infielders: Arenado, Correa, Lindor, Bryant, Seager, Altuve.   Manny may turn out to have the best career of that group, but odds of that are probably less than 50/50.   The odds that he’ll have the best career of any player to come from the Orioles’ organization in a 20 year period are really high.   

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The team contacts he has really do him dirty from time to time, he’s been writing all spring training about Wynns being a frontrunner for the 2nd C spot when I doubt that was ever the case.

My favorite was when he guaranteed that Loewen would stay with the O's.  Adam of course bolted for the Blue Jays.

Regardless of the “the deal has been in the works for a long long time”, comment. I’m still saying this happened because we are about to get a blizzard! And sorry if this is already been said, but I’m not reading all 34 pages. Just very pleased that we have Cobb!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Pitchers and hitters are such different animals that I’d say they can both be generational talents.  I’m not sure I’d see infield vs. outfield that way.    Even if I did, this is a pretty amazing group of infielders: Arenado, Correa, Lindor, Bryant, Seager, Altuve.   Manny may turn out to have the best career of that group, but odds of that are probably less than 50/50.   The odds that he’ll have the best career of any player to come from the Orioles’ organization in a 20 year period are really high.   

I'm not arguing that Manny is in fact a generational talent.

But I do think there is room for more than one (and less than 30) at a time.

Before everyone calls this an overpay (I don't think it is at all) remember that you pay a premium to get a quality starter to come to Camden Yards and pitch in the AL East.  I realize Cobb was already in the AL East but Tropicana is a far cry from Camden Yards.  

1 minute ago, theobird said:

Early in the offseason mlbtr predicted a 4 yr/48 million deal for Cobb. Then prices went down from there. Lynn signed a 1 year 12 million deal. So I don't think there is any doubt that we over paid for Cobb. The whole world knew that we had to add a decent starter. And Cobb was the last man standing. That drove his price up. That said, I am excited to have him. And I think he gives this team a punchers chance in the AL East. I also think he adds to the starting pitching inventory of this team beyond this year, which is a good thing.

I'm not surprised we overpaid.  

* Huge hitters park

* Huge hitters division

* Huge hitters league

* Everybody and their brother knew that if the FO wasn't going to trade Machado, they'd have to bring in at least two real starting pitchers.  They got Cashner.  Tillman doesn't count.  Once the others were off the board, Cobb was left.

Other notes

* If Lynn struggles this year he's going to look like a complete chump for turning down multi year deals.  

* If this doesn't put to rest the whining about collusion, I don't know what will.  Cobb got paid, Darvish got paid, Arrieta got paid, Hosmer got paid.  Lynn is taking a risky bet on himself for a year.  Moustakis is overrated and everyone thought he'd decline.  Holland is a reliever who had a horrible end to last year's season.  Enough of the grumbling.  Even with the FA tsunami next year and the luxury tax concerns, people still got paid who deserved it.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Before everyone calls this an overpay (I don't think it is at all) remember that you pay a premium to get a quality starter to come to Camden Yards and pitch in the AL East.  I realize Cobb was already in the AL East but Tropicana is a far cry from Camden Yards.  

Paying a premium is what makes it an overpay.

Archived