Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is he tho?

How different is he from Nolan Arenado?  Sure Manny started his career three years younger but Nolan is already within .5 rWAR.

Yes.  Off the Cobb topic, but https://www.fangraphs.com/graphsw.aspx?players=9777,11493,1011586,1274&wg=2

A-Rod probably could have ragged on Machado this offseason about messing up his age-24 year.

Arenado's probably just as good as Machado the next 4 years, but if I had to guess, the subsequent 4 will tilt Manny's way again.  I say this thinking Arenado's probably someone with a fair shot at a 10-year regular HOF prime, but Machado has almost as good a shot at the 15-year inner circle prime. 

Especially if his psychobabble really plays, and excitement at getting to (finally) do all the A-Rod things fuels us this year.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Team looks good all of a sudden. This signing has Brady and Sons all over it. Cobb has alot of success pitching in the AL East . We all know Buck and Duquette like that. 

I've been saying if the O's say they value AL experience (like they said they did with  Casher/others), they should be throwing money at Cobb.

And they did!

25 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Looks like we don't need a fifth starter until April 10 if my calculations are accurate.  

Cortez might have to pitch one time.  Allows Cobb to get two starts in the minors.  

Now the questions is (provided he passes the physical): how fast can he get ready for the season. Some of that depends on what he was doing while waiting to sign. Has he been throwing bullpens and sim games? Can he get ready to pitch a Spring Training game in a few days? If so, the rotation could break down as such:

March 29 - Gausman

March 31 - Bundy

April 1 - Cashner

April 2 - Tillman

April 3 - Gausman

April 4 - Cortez/Wright

April 5 - Bundy

April 6 - Cashner

April 7 - Tillman

April 8 - Gausman

April 9 - Cobb

Of course, I'll be at that April 11 game and wouldn't mind the O's finding a way to make that his O's debut.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

Is Joe Flacco a generational talent?

He’s the best ravens QB since they’ve been in Baltimore.  Will likely play at least 5 more years. I think it’s pretty safe to say that in a good 30 year span that he was the best in Baltimore. 30 years is a generation right?  

Not a ravens fan. 

58 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Now the questions is (provided he passes the physical): how fast can he get ready for the season. Some of that depends on what he was doing while waiting to sign. Has he been throwing bullpens and sim games? Can he get ready to pitch a Spring Training game in a few days? If so, the rotation could break down as such:

March 29 - Gausman

March 31 - Bundy

April 1 - Cashner

April 2 - Tillman

April 3 - Gausman

April 4 - Cortez/Wright

April 5 - Bundy

April 6 - Cashner

April 7 - Tillman

April 8 - Gausman

April 9 - Cobb

Of course, I'll be at that April 11 game and wouldn't mind the O's finding a way to make that his O's debut.

That April 4th game is tough. We always get killed in HOU. Maybe we throw a bullpen game and piece it together with fresh arms. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Like so many things around here, it’s all a matter of how you want to define the term.   I think my definition (the kind of player who usually only comes around for a team once every 15-20 years or so) is about the same as what you are suggesting, as there is more than one player who meets that definition and certainly less than 30.

I think a reasonable bar is “is the player at least in the top tier of the Hall of Fame?”  Given that there are 226 people in the HOF as players, that means that baseball has generated about 75 “inner circle” HOFers in about 120 years.  Or about 2 for every 3 years of organized modern ball. If the average career of a HOFer is about 15 years, then that would mean that there would be on average, 10 “generational” players in the game at any given time, including players who we don’t know about yet because they haven’t really begun their careers yet, and players that are near retirement.

That number sounds pretty reasonable to me.  I can name a decent list of likely candidates off the top of my head without thinking: Harper, Ichiro, Kershaw, Scherzer, Trout, Machado, Verlander.  There’s probably others that we don’t know about because they are too fresh, and I’m probably forgetting about some old guys that are about to retire.

Archived