Alex Cobb Once Saved a Stray Dog that was Running in Traffic

OFFNY

o

10 OUTS: ) 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Foulout

ALEXANDER MILLER COBB )))))))) (vs. TIGERS, 4/19)

IP:llll3.33

H:llll 10 ) l(1 Home Runs, 2 Triples, 7 Singles)

R:lllll  7

ER:l  5

BB:llll1

SO:llll4

Pitches: l) 72  )(48 )Strikes, )24)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 15.43 )  7.00 IP  (12 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  3.143  )  7.00 IP  (22 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .500  )(20 for 40)

PITCHES BY INNING  

14  lll(91 llStrikes, lll51 llBalls)

34  lll(21 llStrikes, ll13 llllBalls)

91  lll(61 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls)

15  llll(12 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls) ) *

* )) Cobb recorded 1 out before departing in the 4th inning.

o

On 4/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, OFFNY said:

o

After this game, the Orioles will (likely) be 5-10 overall.

They need to avoid the fate of what happened to the Blue Jays last season, when they started out with a 10-20 record in the first 30 games of the season, and were never able to dig themselves out of the hole that they had made for themselves.

Cashner appears to have come around fairly quickly after one clunker.

With Cobb, it remains to be seen when exactly he'll come around (probably anywhere between his 2nd and 5th start of the season.)

I'm more concerned about whether or not the Orioles can manage to tread water in the team's W-L department for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season than I am about whether or not Cobb will return to his (usually solid) form.

o

o

As I stated above, I'm not surprised that Cobb is taking longer to get on track than has Cashner.

I'm not overly concerned about Cobb coming around from about his 4th or 5th start of the season onward, but I AM concerned about the fact that the Orioles ARE NOT managing to tread water in the standings in the meantime. At 5-14 overall, they are in danger of being as bad (or worse) than were the 2017 Blue Jays after 30 games last season (10-20.) They would have to go 5-6 to over their next 11 games to equal that 10-20 mark, and they would have to go at least 8-3 to be in something that would be considered substantially/significantly better than that mark (13-17.)

o

19 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

As I stated above, I'm not surprised that Cobb is taking longer to get on track than has Cashner.

I'm not overly concerned about Cobb coming around from about his 4th or 5th start of the season onward, but I AM concerned about the fact that the Orioles ARE NOT managing to tread water in the standings in the meantime. At 5-14 overall, they are in danger of being as bad (or worse) than were the 2017 Blue Jays after 30 games last season (10-20.) They would have to go 5-6 to over their next 11 games to equal that 10-20 mark, and they would have to go at least 8-3 to be in something that would be considered substantially/significantly better than that mark (13-17.)

o

Apologies if this was already covered, but I am shocked -- literally shocked -- that Cobb's already starting games with the big club. The guy had zero spring training, and he's arguably still recovering his form after a major injury. Throw all that into the mix with the freezing cold weather, and the monster lineups we've been facing... it's a recipe for injury. 

I remain confused as to why Buck would risk the crown jewel of our offseason... especially with the results we're seeing.

• Thanks 1

Agents/players put them in a greater position for failure/under performance by signing so late in the off season. DD said something had to give by March 1 or so, and yet it took another 3 weeks to get something done. There is no remedy to the situation that I see happening unless an organization closes its door for negotiations on a given date, especially for pitchers.

20 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Agents/players put them in a greater position for failure/under performance by signing so late in the off season. DD said something had to give by March 1 or so, and yet it took another 3 weeks to get something done. There is no remedy to the situation that I see happening unless an organization closes its door for negotiations on a given date, especially for pitchers.

I think this “slow market” stuff is just a phase while teams and agents adjust to how players will be valued going forward.    Other than trying to get the lowest price possible, there are good reasons for teams to want to get their team assembled before spring training begins, both in terms of competitive readiness and marketing.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think this “slow market” stuff is just a phase while teams and agents adjust to how players will be valued going forward.    Other than trying to get the lowest price possible, there are good reasons for teams to want to get their team assembled before spring training begins, both in terms of competitive readiness and marketing.  

And the Orioles-Cobb experience will probably be a good example for teams and players going forward. 

I liked Cobbs post game interview last night. He was given an opportunity to dodge some blame when a reporter was asking about how hard it is to have a scouting report on these young players who haven't been in the league long and his response basically was that it's his fault for not executing pitches and he had all the necessary scouting. It was like the anti-Mike Wright interview.

• Thanks 1

o

Because of his extremely late signing with the team (and subsequently having no Spring Training to work with), I still think that Cobb may be a couple of starts away from coming into his own.

But in the long run, I think that he'll be fine ........ of which Steve Melewski chimes in on the possibility of the Orioles eventually turning around their horrid 6-17 start to the season.

Can the Rotation Lead an O’s Turnaround?

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/04/can-the-rotation-lead-an-os-turnaround-plus-farm-notes.html

o