Sisco is playing himself off the 25-man in today's game (Gamethreadish)

interloper

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So now I'm confused.  What would be stopping a team from calling up a Hays or a Sisco once rosters expand?

Sure it might stop them from calling them up in July but I don't see where that is a huge problem.

No, I now get that you didn't mean September.  I didn't know that before my first post.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

No, I now get that you didn't mean September.  I didn't know that before my first post.

Sorry I played around with you instead of just explaining more in depth to begin with.

I understood your confusion from the beginning but felt like being a jerk.  :P

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If at any time during a season where a team has a 25 or 26 man roster a player is called up from the minor leagues then that season will count toward his service time in regards to arbitration and free agency.

Yes that means yoyoing a pitcher like the O's did with Gausman will be very costly.

I don’t think that’s viable, unless you’re going to increase the number of years it takes to become a free agent.     There are way too many players who move up and down for reasons having nothing to do with service time games.   Tillman would have been a free agent after 2014, Arrieta after 2015, Britton after 2016, Gausman after 2018.     

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think that’s viable, unless you’re going to increase the number of years it takes to become a free agent.     There are way too many players who move up and down for reasons having nothing to do with service time games.   Tillman would have been a free agent after 2014, Arrieta after 2015, Britton after 2016, Gausman after 2018.     

First off something is going to change and this does stop shenanigans.

I think what you will see is less early promotions of players like Tillman, Arrieta, Britton and Gausman.  I'm not sure that's a bad thing as you can make a case for all four being rushed.

I also think your Oriole fandom has skewed your view of how many players spend multiple years going back and forth.  (Or I could be wrong the other way)

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a bit of a stretch. He's not really good at anything behind the plate, Is he passable in receiving, blocking and calling a game, probably, but I wouldn't call him good back there. His throwing is just not good at all. He has a lack of accuracy more than a lack of arm strength which is ok.

Saying that, the kid can hit. Hard not to think he would look pretty good as the DH against right-handers.

I’ll take your word for it. I only know what I have read from reports. It seems like he blocks balls pretty well and people have mentioned his framing looking good. Buck complimented his pitch sequencing in a game recently. 

I haven’t seen much of him so don’t take my word for it. 

“He did everything perfectly. He just didn’t execute the throw,” Showalter said.

The rundown involved Mookie Betts, “who’s in the 10 percentile of guys who can do that,” Showalter said.

“You’ve got to get the ball in the hands of the defender that’s closest to him. And if he makes an accurate throw to second, Manny probably throws him out at first, but that’s one where you’ve got to slow the play down and use how athletic (Betts) is against himself, how fast he can move once he commits, but we got way too much separation there. But that’s one of those things you want to see happen down here.

“That’s some of the growing pains that all young catchers go through.”

Sisco continues to work with bench coach John Russell, who’s also the catching instructor. The improvement has been noticeable despite today’s issues.

“He’s going to be a calm guy, he’s going to call a good game, he’s going to receive well and he’s going to block well,” Showalter said. “His throwing is improving. It’s one of those things, whether it’s here or Norfolk, when everything is clear and you take a deep breath, everything kind of slows down a little bit.”

Roch

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/updating-beckham-scott-optioned-and-more.html

21 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Roch also quoted Buck as saying he was extremely high on Wynns and how he has improved...

Then he got optioned.

Note that while Buck minimized the nature of Sisco’s mistakes on those plays, he did say things would slow down for Sisco “whether it’s here or Norfolk.”   So, he’s left the door open.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Note that while Buck minimized the nature of Sisco’s mistakes on those plays, he did say things would slow down for Sisco “whether it’s here or Norfolk.”   So, he’s left the door open.

In the end I wonder if this leaves the door open for Wynns to start in Norfolk (the talk of regular at bats and playing time) with Sisco mainly hitting and working on his catching while Audrey Perez is also listed as the backup in Norfolk, while Susac is the main backup in Baltimore and they keep Sisco down for time purposes too.

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I think we need his bat. Who knows what we'll get from Davis and Trumbo.

He has a ROY type bat for this upcoming season. We’re already a glorified softball team, now we just have a softball style C. 

I do worry that we open the year vs two teams that actually steal bases. I say throw him out there. Pitchers can control the run game. Start beaning guys in the legs if they steal bases. Hard to run with a deep thigh bruise. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off something is going to change and this does stop shenanigans.

I think what you will see is less early promotions of players like Tillman, Arrieta, Britton and Gausman.  I'm not sure that's a bad thing as you can make a case for all four being rushed.

I also think your Oriole fandom has skewed your view of how many players spend multiple years going back and forth.  (Or I could be wrong the other way)

Shenanigans are usually a synonym for "team getting creative to obtain an advantage, usually because of a lack of resources to just buy better players."  Every time someone suggests rules to stop shifts, minor league yo-yo'ing and the like I read that as "I'd like Boston and New York to win more often."

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Shenanigans are usually a synonym for "team getting creative to obtain an advantage, usually because of a lack of resources to just buy better players."  Every time someone suggests rules to stop shifts, minor league yo-yo'ing and the like I read that as "I'd like Boston and New York to win more often."

Some teams are not operating in good faith.  Make a case that Acuna isn't ML ready.  

Archived