Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2018

OFFNY

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

One of the players you want instead of John Andreoli has one of these slash lines the other is John Andreoli in the PCL.  This would by your definition make both AAAA fodder.

28 Yrs 16 Days .265/.359/.441/.801

28 Yrs 91 Days .287/.397/.401/.798

I'm not one to defend the player in question but the PCL is rather more hitter friendly than the International league.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not one to defend the player in question but the PCL is rather more hitter friendly than the International league.

OBP has nothing to do with the respective leagues unless it solely driven by BA.

Yastrzemski's slash line is basically Road GAMES ENHANCED because he stunk the joint up at Norfolk.

4 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

OBP has nothing to do with the respective leagues unless it solely driven by BA.

Yastrzemski's slash line is basically Road GAMES ENHANCED because he stunk the joint up at Norfolk.

Pretend you are a pitcher.  Do you pitch a hitter the same in Norfolk that you would at Security Service Field?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretend you are a pitcher.  Do you pitch a hitter the same in Norfolk that you would at Security Service Field?

Pretend your a hitter and want to make the MLB Squad and you are repeating in the Norfolk/Bowie shuttle for the THIRD year.  Do you not think that you should have adjusted to the way your pitched at the different ball parks???

6 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Pretend your a hitter and want to make the MLB Squad and you are repeating in the Norfolk/Bowie shuttle for the THIRD year.  Do you not think that you should have adjusted to the way your pitched at the different ball parks???

Huh?  What does that have to do with my question?  Would you approach a hitter in the same fashion in those two ballparks?

And btw Andreoli has spent a good hunk of the 20015, 20116, 2017 and 2018 seasons in AAA.  Why hasn't he adjusted?

Once again I am not defending the other player, just that, if anything, Andreoli is even worse offensively.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Andreoli has spent a good hunk of the 20015, 20116, 2017 and 2018 seasons in AAA.  Why hasn't he adjusted?

He has improved some over that span.  His improvement is at the same pace as is Yastrzemski.  Again, as you would say, I am not defending one over the other . I am just pointing out they are the same player with 75 days in age separating them.

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

He has improved some over that span.  His improvement is at the same pace as is Yastrzemski.  Again, as you would say, I am not defending one over the other . I am just pointing out they are the same player with 75 days in age separating them.

But they aren't.

They are putting up similar numbers in different offensive environments.  That matters.  Not enough to make either of them viable ML players but still.

Now I am willing to buy in that Andreoli's other talents are of more value but with the bat, he's been the inferior player.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What does that have to do with my question?  Would you approach a hitter in the same fashion in those two ballparks?

Not seeing the pitching data from those parks to the same type of hitters, I would not know if the Pitcher  pitched different or the Hitter tried to hit the same with predictable results.

You also can not compare Pitched to from one league/ballpark to another with different players as one is Left Handed and One is right handed

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Not seeing the pitching data from those parks to the same type of hitters, I would not know if the Pitcher  pitched different or the Hitter tried to hit the same with predictable results.

You also can not compare Pitched to from one league/ballpark to another with different players as one is Left Handed and One is right handed

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-stats-triple-a-ballpark-factors/c-208823408

League R/9 HR/9 H/9
International 4.0 (14th) 0.7 (sixth) 8.7 (eighth)
Pacific Coast 4.9 (fourth) 0.9 (first) 9.4 (second)

I will say that Andreoli has not played his home games in the super charged offensive ballparks but overall the PCL does inflate offensive production.

43 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

The PCL actually does increase batting average, mainly through an increased BABIP. Interesting read: https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/38560-2/

The real question is why do the Orioles keep doing incredibly pointless and stupid things like acquiring Andreoli? It's dumb on so many levels that it is hard to keep track. For instance, they are basically paying Gentry to not be an Oriole so they can play Andreoli. In September. Of a 100 loss season. When they claim they are cutting payroll. It's just goofy...and many other adjectives. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

The PCL actually does increase batting average, mainly through an increased BABIP. Interesting read: https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/38560-2/

The real question is why do the Orioles keep doing incredibly pointless and stupid things like acquiring Andreoli? It's dumb on so many levels that it is hard to keep track. For instance, they are basically paying Gentry to not be an Oriole so they can play Andreoli. In September. Of a 100 loss season. When they claim they are cutting payroll. It's just goofy...and many other adjectives. 

I guess they think they can see something they can fix but the odds of success are extremely small.

Still doesn't bother me as much as Zoellner.

Archived