2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/1/2018 at 6:18 AM, webbrick2010 said:

The folks that evaluated Tillman and found him worth of a ML contract are getting ready to make trade deadline deals

How's that make you feel?

Exactly...just who is responsible for saying Chris Tillman could and can still pitch?  The same guys that said Ubaldo and Gallardo were going to be the tickets to the playoffs?  The same guys that said Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright were good enough to be starters on a supposed pennant contender?  The same guys that said Nick was washed up? or Cruz would never hit any more?   The  same guys who thought Gerardo Parra could play and Zach Davies couldn’t?   Or that Travis Snider was an answer to anything having to do with a team that was this close to a World Series? 

And whoever “those guys” that are making all these calls,  I hope somebody is actually held accountable. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Exactly...just who is responsible for saying Chris Tillman could and can still pitch?  The same guys that said Ubaldo and Gallardo were going to be the tickets to the playoffs?  The same guys that said Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright were good enough to be starters on a supposed pennant contender?  The same guys that said Nick was washed up? or Cruz would never hit any more?   The  same guys who thought Gerardo Parra could play and Zach Davies couldn’t?   Or that Travis Snider was an answer to anything having to do with a team that was this close to a World Series? 

And whoever “those guys” that are making all these calls,  I hope somebody is actually held accountable. 

No way to know but my gut feeling is that scouts were not asked about Tillman.

BTW no one said Cruz wouldn't hit or that Nick was washed up.  At least not that I ever heard.  As has been stated many times, they offered Markakis a three year contract at a fair market value.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No way to know but my gut feeling is that scouts were not asked about Tillman.

BTW no one said Cruz wouldn't hit or that Nick was washed up.  At least not that I ever heard.  As has been stated many times, they offered Markakis a three year contract at a fair market value.

And they offered him 3 years because they thought Nick would be washed up certainly by the fourth year.  Or his neck would fall off, sometime in the interim.  Or they thought a lot of things  I suspect other than he would be “leading NL in hits, and a starting All Star in 4th year”.   They were wrong.    And if I could ask the decision maker at the time to have put out there in public his answer to a simple question ...”How much WAR do you see Nelson putting up in the next 4 years?  How close do you think they would they have been to the correct answer of  15.8 WAR with half season still to go in his fourth year? “    Not very close, imho.    Essentially they misjudged and undervalued his talent as a hitter.  It happens, but they just act like it wasn’t a misjudgement. 

Somebody does know who made all these decisions, although rooting it out is an investigative reporter type job.  Not that the fans have ever been privileged to knowing anything by ownership, as there is no transparency or accountability to their customers, and never has been...but somebody in that Warehouse does know exactly who made all these bad calls. 

What does it really matter anyway? So we lose 5-2 or 7-3 instead of 3-1 or 4-2? This team’s inability to score more than 3 runs is almost unbelievable. They also excel in solo homers because they can’t get base runners. They have no lead off hitter - non hitting catchers, first basemen, second and third basemen, and only one mediocre hitting corner outfielder. So why hasn’t Duquette been given his walking papers by now? Anyone know??

Archived