Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

22 hours ago, paulcoates said:

Machado and Davis for a bag of balls.

I hope this is a joke, because no team in their right mind would take on all of CD's contract for just a half season rental of Machado.  We'd have to eat probably 60-70% of Davis' remaining money at the very least.  

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, atomic said:

Why would anyone down vote this?  I am just stating facts.  You don't like facts and want to live in a fantasy land where Chris Davis gives up 50 million dollars?

Because it was a stupid post, using an illogical comparison?

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Why? He is already set for life. Does it really matter to him if he gets $50M or $92M over the rest of his career? He gets the deferred money too. The union would discourage it, but it's not unprecedented to leave money like that on the table. It would certainly be a nice gesture to the owner and ultimately the fans who have paid him very nicely. In any case, find a number and get it done.

Chris Davis can afford to ignore your theory on what constitutes “enough”.

33 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

We'd have to eat probably 60-70% of Davis' remaining money at the very least.  

I don't know man, I think we'd have to eat 70% at least.  

That said, who'd want him?  Even with us eating that much of the contract a team is taking a tremendous risk that a change of scenery can do him good or that they have a hitting coach like Charlie Lau that can make a difference.  

He's got negative value.  Practically every team can field a first baseman that has at least one win.  

There's no reason for any team to take him off our hands.  

50 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

According to this site (https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/all-time-single-season-team-the-worst-of-the-worst/), the worst single season ever by a 1st baseman was Hughie Miller in 1914, who finished the year with a .548 OPS.  Which is still higher than Chris Davis' current OPS.  Oh, and by the way, this was during the height of the dead ball era when the average first baseman only had a SLG of .352.  Also, I'm taking a real wild guess here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Hughie was not getting paid the 1914 equivalent of $20 million per year to play baseball.  

Also note that Miller's season happened during the dead ball era.  Davis doesn't have that excuse to fall back on for his poor performance.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Why would anyone down vote this?  I am just stating facts.  You don't like facts and want to live in a fantasy land where Chris Davis gives up 50 million dollars?

Are you thinking I downvoted you? It wasn't me. I am a "limited posting member". Just seeing the look on Davis' face every time he strikes out, yes, I could imagine him getting sick of it and walking away.

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

If he was using steroids you have to think his bat would be faster.  At this point I don't think anything is going to help his approach at the plate.

Right. If anything, it could be argued he looks like someone who used to be on the juice — but then stopped.

I simply don’t understand why his bat (and exit velocity) has been slowing down steadily since 2015. 

Buck keeps sitting him against LH, its pretty obvious the Orioles think he's done at this point. They might let him ride out the season knowing it will cost the teams wins in hopes of getting a higher draft choice. It could embarrass Davis into settling a buyout situation. I can dream anyways.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Buck keeps sitting him against LH, its pretty obvious the Orioles think he's done at this point. They might let him ride out the season knowing it will cost the teams wins in hopes of getting a higher draft choice. It could embarrass Davis into settling a buyout situation. I can dream anyways.

Going with the humiliation route, they should only play him against lefties...

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

It is showing someone who has 100 times the amount of money Chris Davis has and still wanting more money. If money is your biggest motivator you hire Boras and you get a 7 year contract. I am not sure what is so hard to realize about the situation.   Even if in your fantasy land world where Chris Davis accepts a buy out for 42 million less than he is owed (which won't happen) the Orioles would never buy him out.  He would still be owed more than the entire Jiminez contract.   

Just get used to seeing Chris Davis for the next 4 1/2 years.  

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I wish I could down vote your post.  But alas no such ability.  Anyway like I said live in your fantasy land where people walk away from 42 million dollars.  Maybe you could personally buy out Chris Davis' contract.  That would solve the issue for everyone. 

11 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

.  .  .

If Peter Angelos is still mentally competent enough to feel shame, I hope he is filled with it from head to toe for insisting on the moronic contract for Chris Davis.  If it is true that Buck pushed for this contract, he should also be ashamed that he couldn't see this coming after years in the baseball industry.  In fact, every member of the player evaluation and front office staff who had any involvement in the decision to re-sign Chris Davis for a 7 year deal should be utterly disgraced.  

.  .  .

Mental competence aside, my impression is that Angelos has never had the emotional makeup that would enable him to  conclude (and certainly not to admit) that he's made a mistake, let alone feel shame or remorse or regret for what he appears to view as his generous and noble actions and decisions (that is,  pretty much all his actions and decisions).

And my guess is that, whatever his role was in the Davis, Trumbo, Tillman  or other decisions that shaped this team, Buck -- another guy who I've never heard own up to having made a mistake even though he's made plenty and they're right there for the rest of his see --  today views himself as a manager who faces the impossible assignment of winning with the crappy 40-man and 25-man roster the organization has given him and who's been let down by some real bad performances that nobody could have expected. 

Archived