Who would you hire to replace Buck?

TonySoprano

56 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Hardy would be interesting if the roster is completely overhauled at the deadline/during the offseason.  Wouldn't want to have a manager who recently played with a lot of guys on the team. Caleb Joseph might also be an interesting choice.

Have a feeling Buck is promoted to GM with Brady continuing his undefined role. John Russel becomes manager. 

I think Buck wants Brady's job as team Pres. I cant see Buck enjoying roster construction and the day to day grind of being a GM. I think its alot more detail oriented than he would prefer. Maybe in todays world you can do it all on an iphone. I have no idea how Buck is working with technology. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was an up and coming manager I wouldn't want to manage this team for the next few years, frankly.  This team is where the Cubs and Astros were a few years ago--terrible and with no chance of being anything but terrible for the next few seasons, until the farm system is rebuilt with 2-3 years' worth of high draft picks.  I think this is a job for an older caretaker manager who isn't looking to burnish his resume but who still wants to remain in the game.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

If I was an up and coming manager I wouldn't want to manage this team for the next few years, frankly.  This team is where the Cubs and Astros were a few years ago--terrible and with no chance of being anything but terrible for the next few seasons, until the farm system is rebuilt with 2-3 years' worth of high draft picks.  I think this is a job for an older caretaker manager who isn't looking to burnish his resume but who still wants to remain in the game.  

The Cubs and Astros had a clear vision of the future.

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I heard an anecdote about Gardenhire and the Tigers, the gist of which was he was retired and figured he was retired for good, then kind of went "Eh, why not?" when they came calling.

At this point, if we decide to rebuild, I am rooting for Buck to get upstairs before July 31st as another resource to focus on talks with other clubs as Gausman, Givens and Schoop are Machado-sized trade pieces if we punt next year.  

On the other hand, if Manny stays in Chicago and LH starter Montgomery and another major league piece come with us, it'll become interesting to see if Buck gets an extension to manage 2019's notionally competitive club.

4 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

Joe Girardi

Hensley Meulens - he's been with Bochy for the 3 world series, speaks 5 languages, if O's get serious about the International market he could communicate with players in Spanish and Japanese

Schoop has played for him before.

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

If the team is terrible for a number of years, they still have their choice of any minor league manager in the game. They dont need a high priced name manager who is a few years from retirement. They could hire any large number of 3B coaches as well. 

Archived