10 to trade to jumpstart rebuild

ScGO's

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade Jonathan Schoop so bad when he's hitting .197.  His trade value is almost completely depleted at this point. 

It's a much better idea to see if he can bounce back in the second half and then trade him in the offseason.  Or even extend him on a buy-low contract.  

I like the idea of trading Gausman if a quality offer is there.  He will likely be gone by the time we are able to compete anyway.  

The Orioles' recent method of trading is to say, "Oh, if you want to get _________, he might be available. What are you offering?" Trying to trade Schoop now on that modelwould be pointless.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I could see Cashner traded to a team that needs pitching help but doesn''t really want to spend the prospects. Maybe the Angels or Mariners.  The Giants too. 

I don't know if I want to send Cashner out if all they are doing is getting out of the contract.

They need somebody to throw innings next season and right now we are only looking at Bundy and Gausman.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know if I want to send Cashner out if all they are doing is getting out of the contract.

They need somebody to throw innings next season and right now we are only looking at Bundy and Gausman.

No Cobb? He’s the new Ubaldo.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would deal Casher if they can get any kind of return, even a C prospect from another team.  It's not a bad contract.  I think Akin and Lowther will be ready to step into the rotation next season.  Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Akin, Lowther. 

It's also likely that if we deal Machado there could be a SP coming back to us that is near major league ready, so may not be completely reliant on the filling the empty SP rotation spots though the farm. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I would deal Casher if they can get any kind of return, even a C prospect from another team.  It's not a bad contract.  I think Akin and Lowther will be ready to step into the rotation next season.  Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Akin, Lowther. 

It's also likely that if we deal Machado there could be a SP coming back to us that is near major league ready, so may not be completely reliant on the filling the empty SP rotation spots though the farm. 

Akin might be, I think that is at least a year early on Lowther.

That would be why I worded it that way.

I'm not a Cashner fan but I think that if they trade him they will need to sign an equivalent and I don't see how it's worth the bother when he's probably not bringing much back.  I don't want to force kids into the rotation that aren't ready.

Watched a youtube doc on the Cubs rebuild appropriately called "Rebuild" last night.  Can we please start clearing house...

Trade stock fluctuations...

Does Brad Brach have any trade value left at this point?  Maybe a C prospect?  If anyone wants him.  At least Britton is left handed, maybe we can get a C+ for him.  We may be watching these two walk without anything in return if they keep dumpster fire burning.

Schoop is off to a great July, 1.417 OPS.  Please get hot and then trade him before August.  

Cashner's stock has to be climbing a bit too I'd think. 

With Trumbo getting hotter, is there a market for him at all?  Maybe in August?

With another good start or two, could Gausman become our most valuable trade asset after Machado.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Really boggles my mind that DD/Buck who are not signed past this year are having any input to the trade deadline deals. There has never been an organization as dysfunctional as the 2018 Baltimore Orioles

Amaro made most of the tear down trades for the Phillies. 

The old saying is that the Caribbean players have to hit their way off the island.  The last place O's have created their own island and their FA players are going to to have to hit and pitch themselves off of it.   Who is actually performing well enough to be traded by July 31st?

Manny -  Of course he is hitting well enough but what will the return be?   We can hope there are at least a two teams in a bidding war that raises the return.  But failing that the O's will have to take the best offer as long as it is more than an end of the first round  compensation pick.

Britton - We all hope he rounds into shape and shows he is the closer he once was.   So far he is not there.   He is going to have to improve enough that someone wants to spend 4M and a good prospect for him.  The jury is still out on whether is can command that return.

Jones -  He not helping himself right now. He carries 5.6m  price tag and his 309 OBP and 741 OPS may be too heavy to carry that kind of production.  He has hit one homer in 119 AB since the first on June.     He has to pick it up if he wants to be in the pennant race this year.

Brach - A 4.05 ERA is not what contending team are looking for when spend 1.7m on a setup reliever.     The league is hitting  .298 against him in June with a 1.76 WHIP. And so far its just getting worse in July.

Valencia - His 772 OPS and 400K price tag may be enough to have a contender want him as a bench player.   But don't expect much in return.

Trumbo -  started a push to be traded about the first of July.  He is hitting homers and driving him runs.  His contract that runs through next year and his defense means he has to hit a ton through the end of the month for any contender to want him.

All these players need to perform well over the next few weeks to be attractive to contending teams.   Don't expect the O's to eat much of their contracts.  Its not in the O's DNA to go that route. 

Some of them may pass through waivers after July 31st and still be on the trade market.

I don't see the O's trading starting pitching at the deadline.  They may consider it this off season.

Aside from Manny, if a GM were to ask me which player they should pick up from the Orioles roster, assuming none are too costly, I would point them toward Jones. As a corner or 4th OF, bench bat, clubhouse presence and someone with the fire to win, I think he could do very well as a rental on a winning club.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The old saying is that the Caribbean players have to hit their way off the island.  The last place O's have created their own island and their FA players are going to to have to hit and pitch themselves off of it.   Who is actually performing well enough to be traded by July 31st?

Manny -  Of course he is hitting well enough but what will the return be?   We can hope there are at least a two teams in a bidding war that raises the return.  But failing that the O's will have to take the best offer as long as it is more than an end of the first round  compensation pick.

Britton - We all hope he rounds into shape and shows he is the closer he once was.   So far he is not there.   He is going to have to improve enough that someone wants to spend 4M and a good prospect for him.  The jury is still out on whether is can command that return.

Jones -  He not helping himself right now. He carries 5.6m  price tag and his 309 OBP and 741 OPS may be too heavy to carry that kind of production.  He has hit one homer in 119 AB since the first on June.     He has to pick it up if he wants to be in the pennant race this year.

Brach - A 4.05 ERA is not what contending team are looking for when spend 1.7m on a setup reliever.     The league is hitting  .298 against him in June with a 1.76 WHIP. And so far its just getting worse in July.

Valencia - His 772 OPS and 400K price tag may be enough to have a contender want him as a bench player.   But don't expect much in return.

Trumbo -  started a push to be traded about the first of July.  He is hitting homers and driving him runs.  He contract that runs through next year and his defense mean he has to hit a ton through the end of the month for any contender to want him.

All these players need to perform well over the next few weeks to be attractive to contending teams.   Don't expect the O's to eat much of their contracts.  Its not in the O's DNA to go that route. 

Some of them may pass through waivers after July 31st and still be on the trade market.

I don't see the O's trading starting pitching at the deadline.  They may consider it this off season.

Manny is the main one of course. Trumbo if they can. Any of the pitchers. This is just a dream. That old man is not going trade anyone. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Unless you anticipate the Orioles being back in contention by 2020, they should trade Gausman for a solid return. 

How can anyone know what will happen by 2020?   Right now we do not know who the owner, GM  or Manager will be.   The O's only have 35M committed in 2020.   If you look at the Phillies they added veteran Arrieta and Santana.      Maybe Gausman will be valuable to the O's in 2020 and maybe not.

Archived