Carfado: Dan is Doing the Re-Build

weams

17 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Plus who else is there to answer the phone? Brady is deep thinking somewhere, Buck has a day job, and Klentak works for the Phillies.

Director, Baseball Operations Tripp Norton

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, theobird said:

Oh hell, here we go. I have no confidence in Duquette doing this job. None. In fact in the rebuild mode, he should be the first guy shown the door, imo.

I’m reasonably confident Duquette could do a rebuild job, if ownership would get out of the way and let him do it.    We have a pretty good scouting staff, judging from the last few drafts, and they probably could identify the MiL players we should chase.

What worries me is that other teams will be reluctant to spend time cutting deals with Dan, due to the high risk of a veto and/or foot dragging by ownership.    

2 hours ago, theobird said:

Oh hell, here we go. I have no confidence in Duquette doing this job. None. In fact in the rebuild mode, he should be the first guy shown the door, imo.

Don't under estimate Dan in a rebuild.  Look at what he did in Montreal.  The question is can others stay out of his way?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m reasonably confident Duquette could do a rebuild job, if ownership would get out of the way and let him do it.    We have a pretty good scouting staff, judging from the last few drafts, and they probably could identify the MiL players we should chase.

What worries me is that other teams will be reluctant to spend time cutting deals with Dan, due to the high risk of a veto and/or foot dragging by ownership.    

I think that's potentially a serious problem, which Angelos made worse by reportedly hiding out from the Astros, in his typically gutless way, last year. And if the Orioles are pursuing a real rebuild with multiple potential trades, the overload on the Orioles' limited decision-making capacity may make it tough to keep several discussions going at once.

Two thoughts. One is that other teams may be more willing to put up with the slow pace of Warehouse decision-making in connection with a potential trade in June than they would be at the trade deadline. The other is that I expect teams will be more willing to put up with the frustratingly unprofessional conduct of the Orioles if the prize is a unique talent -- Manny Machado, or Zach Britton if he returned to form fully and quickly -- than they will be if they're considering a trade for someone like Brach or O'Day or Jones. 

17 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I trust Dan to do this... IF people stay the hell out of his way, which seems impossible.

Dan runs point but its the Angelos family providing the slam dunk. Orioles were talking up a rebuild at the last trade deadline too. Instead they added. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Dan runs point but its the Angelos family providing the slam dunk. Orioles were talking up a rebuild at the last trade deadline too. Instead they added. 

If they add this year maybe they can finish with the fifth worst record.

Archived