Why not just promote Gary Rajsich to GM?

TINSTAAPP

He seems to be the one person in the organization who is good at his job. The Orioles have drafted Josh Hader, Mancini, Sisco, Hess, Mountcastle, McKenna, Mullins, Hays, Lowther and Baumann under his watch. Donnie Hart's been worth 1.6 WAR as a 27th round pick. If the Orioles are going to promote within, why not hire the guy who has a good eye for talent? I bet he would be a much better GM than Brady or Buck. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea. 

If we are to succeed in the AL East at a significant financial disadvantage to our rivals, we need a forward thinker. I don't know if Gary Rajsich is that but I get the feeling he's more likely to be that than Brady and if we want to get in on a real forward thinker he'll probably need to be someone who doesn't already have experience as a GM for another club. 

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

He seems to be the one person in the organization who is good at his job. The Orioles have drafted Josh Hader, Mancini, Sisco, Hess, Mountcastle, McKenna, Mullins, Hays, Lowther and Baumann under his watch. Donnie Hart's been worth 1.6 WAR as a 27th round pick. If the Orioles are going to promote within, why not hire the guy who has a good eye for talent? I bet he would be a much better GM than Brady or Buck. 

But not DD? I agree, he’d be a fine choice, although I have no idea if he’s savvy enough to handle FO duties. Especially if the current owner remains as puppet master.

8 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Harvey, Dietz, Akin, Stewart, Hanifee, DL Hall, Tanner Scott, just to name a few guys that Rajisch drafted that you didn't list and who look to have a potential future here.  I agree, Rajisch has done a fine job in his position.  I have no idea if that qualifies him to be a GM,

16 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Harvey, Dietz, Akin, Stewart, Hanifee, DL Hall, Tanner Scott, just to name a few guys that Rajisch drafted that you didn't list and who look to have a potential future here.  I agree, Rajisch has done a fine job in his position.  I have no idea if that qualifies him to be a GM,

Apparently, if Brady is in the running, this really doesn't matter too much. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Rajisch has done a fine job in his position.  I have no idea if that qualifies him to be a GM,

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Apparently, if Brady is in the running, this really doesn't matter too much. 

I don’t think it’s clear what “qualifies” someone to be a GM.   Let’s take Andrew Friedman.    He worked in finance for a few years, got a job as Director for Player Development of the Rays for two years and BOOM at the age of 28 became GM of the Rays.    Honestly, was he more “qualified” than Rajsich or Brady?    I’d clearly say no, but obviously he was a very good GM in Tampa and is now team President for the Dodgers.    

I love this ida.

I would keep DD as a VP and Gary as GM.  Buck and Brady get the door.  I know it will not happen.  

I am the one that also said CD will retire at the end of next year so call me crazy.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps if he’s good at his job, they should leave him in the job he’s good at.    But, I’m not necessarily pooh-poohing your suggestion.    

I would agree with this. Seems like this organization is terrible at putting people where they are strongest.....For instance, talk about Buck as a GM, Manny at short, Trumbo, Mancini in the OF, and Brady all over the place :)

Not to sell Rajsich short, but he’s been a scout, then a crosschecker for two years (with the blue jays in 2010-2011, check out the quality of those drafts), and now Scouting Director. He’d likely need someone to help him handle the financial side of things.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps if he’s good at his job, they should leave him in the job he’s good at.    But, I’m not necessarily pooh-poohing your suggestion.    

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

This.  Just because he's good at what he does, doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good GM.  I guess you could give him an interview and consider him, but I would think a more suitable promotion for him (if he wants to advance) would be as an Assistant GM or similar role.

13 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Maybe he would be. Sorry I don't know anything about him. 

1 hour ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

Any changes are just like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as long as Peter is the owner.

Yes but he or his sons will remain the owners. Hoping his will be better at Ownership. 

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

That's always the struggle with every career; be so good they can't replace you or be so good they can't promote you.

Archived