Richard Justice on the O"S

Deadwood Fan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

@vab the struggle as a Redskins/Orioles fan is so real.  At least with Angelos he's old, we can wait him out.  Waiting out Snyder is going to be tougher.

Superbowl or Snyder selling the team?

Snyder selling or passing away.

I’m not sure how much longer I can hang in there if I have to endure another generation of Angelos ownership. 

Peter being in his 80’s was the light at the end of the tunnel for me since I’m pretty sure I can outlive him.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Ravens owner Biscotti (sp) and Plank should go in and blow PGA out of the water with an offer he can't refuse.

I heard that Under Armour isn't doing so hot lately though.  Might not be a good time for Plank.

Hey, if Under Armour tanks how are people in Maryland going to dress themselves?

According to Forbes, Plank is still worth 2.2 billion. I'm sure he'll be fine.

7 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

I’m not sure how much longer I can hang in there if I have to endure another generation of Angelos ownership. 

Peter being in his 80’s was the light at the end of the tunnel for me since I’m pretty sure I can outlive him.

Here's the thing - Louis and John may turn out to be great owners.  We just don't know until they're in that position.  Look the the 49ers.  Eddie DeBartolo was a fantastic owner.  Then his sister got control of the team, and they went to crap.  I'd venture to say Hal Steinbrenner has been a better owner than his Dad, at least in terms of allowing the baseball people to do the jobs he's hired them to do.  Just because the father leaves much to be desired, doesn't mean the son's can't be better.

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Here's the thing - Louis and John may turn out to be great owners.  We just don't know until they're in that position.  Look the the 49ers.  Eddie DeBartolo was a fantastic owner.  Then his sister got control of the team, and they went to crap.  I'd venture to say Hal Steinbrenner has been a better owner than his Dad, at least in terms of allowing the baseball people to do the jobs he's hired them to do.  Just because the father leaves much to be desired, doesn't mean the son's can't be better.

Yep. I'm a life-long niners fan, and right you are. The Yorks' son Jed (Eddie's nephew) is running the show, and after the Harbaugh fiasco I think he's finally learned to do what good owners do - sit back, shut up, and write the checks to the people who know how to run a football franchise.

Like Angelos and Snyder, other bad owners are the ones who are arrogant enough to think their financial success in other areas somehow translates to running a sports franchise. The best owners and GMs "know what they don't know" and surround themselves with a good supporting cast.

For example, I think John Lynch has knocked it out of the park so far as the niners' GM, and he comes from a player and broadcasting background, not scouting. But, he's forged tons of great relationships across the league and has surrounded himself with key people and scouting executives, who he actually listens to. That's what convinced Kyle Shanahan to hire him. Lynch is also the reason why we landed Jimmy Garoppolo; he has a great relationship with Belicheck, so he was the first person Bill called.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@vab the struggle as a Redskins/Orioles fan is so real.  At least with Angelos he's old, we can wait him out.  Waiting out Snyder is going to be tougher.

Superbowl or Snyder selling the team?

God I do feel your pain.  And of course...it is frustrating to have two vastly wealthy guys own the two professional teams you adore.

I do miss Jack Kent Cooke.

7 hours ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Take it for what its worth Richard Justice of MLB.com said on the BMore Podcast that  "I have a friend who is trying to buy the Orioles, we're trying to buy the Orioles & they're being told no way, no how - they are not for sale" "Peter has not returned the guys call who is interested in buying the team, if Peter is interested in selling the team he's playing the best job of poker ever" "I believe Georgia is interested in holding on to the club if we get in to a line of succession" "Peter is the guy in charge"

If it became public that people or groups were making offers, could Peter be pressured to sell if fans organized or petitioned to draw attention to the problems within the O's organization(no my name is not Nestor!) and the need for change? 

Perhaps thinking of a creative way to boycott yet support the team? Perhaps fans can reach out in creative ways to potential and realistic buyers?  Those potential buyers could find creative ways to put pressure on Peter too as they have more access to resources than the average fan. 

Who would be on our Dream Team of potential buyers, or a group of buyers.  Former O's like Cal, Palmer, Eddie?  Tom Hanks is an O's fan right?  Maybe he and some other actor friends who follow the O's?  Maybe some big names from the community, anyone from the likes of John Waters to Mike Plank?

Could this be our "Sun Tzu" opportunity to finally find a way out of this Angelos mess once and for all? 

Just now, ScGO's said:

If it became public that people or groups were making offers, could Peter be pressured to sell if fans organized or petitioned to draw attention to the problems within the O's organization(no my name is not Nestor!) and the need for change? 

Perhaps thinking of a creative way to boycott yet support the team? Perhaps fans can reach out in creative ways to potential and realistic buyers?  Those potential buyers could find creative ways to put pressure on Peter too as they have more access to resources than the average fan. 

Who would be on our Dream Team of potential buyers, or a group of buyers.  Former O's like Cal, Palmer, Eddie?  Tom Hanks is an O's fan right?  Maybe he and some other actor friends who follow the O's?  Maybe some big names from the community, anyone from the likes of John Waters to Mike Plank?

Could this be our "Sun Tzu" opportunity to finally find a way out of this Angelos mess once and for all? 

I don't think Peter can be pressured.

He stood firm against the other owners when they wanted to use replacement players.

He stood firm against the league over MASN.

A bunch of fans isn't going to make him blink.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Peter can be pressured.

He stood firm against the other owners when they wanted to use replacement players.

He stood firm against the league over MASN.

A bunch of fans isn't going to make him blink.

He's an interesting human being to say the least.  I figured the only way to get him to sell was to hit him where it hurts, the wallet.

6 hours ago, esmd said:

Didn't George Steinbrenner win a bunch of World Series as owner of the Yankees? 

Archived