Orioles have interviewed Ned Colletti, and others

Flacco Machado

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He is like any another GM for any other team. He is limited in what he can do by ownership. 

There is a bunch more from the book but I doubt I have time to get to it today. I will add one more 

-The new Dodgers ownership pushed to sign Ethier because they viewed it as a goodwill signing to the fan base. 

Basically when McCourt sold the Dodgers in 2012 the new ownership did not change Colletti because they felt it was hard to judge the man due to how McCourt ran the team. 

It’s funny, somehow DD is suppose to overcome the Angelos’ shortcomings. The issue as usual is how the franchise is operated. Colletti is not going to change how things are done around here. If he is hired he will just take over and try to do his best just like DD and will have to navigate his way through the Angelos way of doing business.  

It is funny that DD's end is coming the same way MacPhails was.  Last year of his contract Buck started getting involved in personal moves and he decided not to return.  Now Buck and Brady are doing the same thing to DD.  Maybe a start would be to get rid of Buck and Brady and all the other people in the organization stopping the GM from doing his job.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, atomic said:

It is funny that DD's end is coming the same way MacPhails was.  Last year of his contract Buck started getting involved in personal moves and he decided not to return.  Now Buck and Brady are doing the same thing to DD.  Maybe a start would be to get rid of Buck and Brady and all the other people in the organization stopping the GM from doing his job.  

I hate to keep beating the same drum but as always it comes back to Angelos. He is awful owner. Just awful. He has owned the team for 25 years and his ego or whatever else continue to ruin this franchise. 

He is incapable of setting up a proper structure to run a baseball team. It seems he plays favorites.  

It is entirely possible the new GM will make enough good moves and the Orioles will be relevant again. I hope so. It will never be possible to have one of the best franchises in the sport. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

The only way the happens is if Brady pisses off the Angelos family.

Maybe Fox will do a Beverly Hills 90210 reboot and Brady can get cast as a lead.  He still has the sideburns.

57 minutes ago, atomic said:

All those winning seasons must be tiresome.  No real issues to complain about so you make them up.   He also drafted Cody Bellinger last years Rookie of the Year.  So he drafted the last two NL rookies of the year and a 3 time Cy Young Award winner who are all currently on the team? Bring him over her.  Bring his scouts too.  The last time the Dodgers were bad were the year before he arrived.  Get back to me when the Dodgers have 14 straight losing seasons. 

Good points. I forgot Colletti was with the Dodgers then. Seems so much longer ago. 

Wasn't it just reported a couple weeks ago that Duquette would handle the trade front. Now their interviewing his possible replacement while he does? Yeah...nothing like building a team for your replacement.  Angelos is a joke. Looks like only one way he's going away.

36 minutes ago, atomic said:

Buck needs to be gone now. His act has grown old. Let the new GM pick a manager...and actually run the team.

13 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Ned Colletti is 64 years old....and wears a toupee. I already wanna grab that thing and throw it, like Elaine did with George.

So he's 64 and wears a toupee? Does this mean folks in their 60's all of a sudden aren't qualified? 

1 hour ago, Hotdiggity said:

Look, I forgot the (former O) Justin Turner signing. But as you said, you need to look at the entirety of his work, and the entirety of Colletti’s work was on the whole terrible and his best work was that of communicating to the fan base what ownership felt it wanted to hear. 

You brought up drafts. The two notable names drafted under Colletti were Kershaw and Seager. But I make 2 points on that. First, I credit almost all farm work to former Scouting Director Logan White and Farm Director DeJon Watson, both of whom were installed by 2 GM’s prior. Those guys not only nabbed Kershaw/Seager but all the names in my prior post that provided the foundation. Second, judging a GM based on drafts is a fools errand because the Rockies could have taken Kershaw instead of Greg Reynolds or the Tigers could have taken Kershaw instead of Andrew Miller. What’s not left to the scouting department is left to luck. 

I have a feeling this is why he's being talked to...  McPhail and DD were both sort of on the sidelines of baseball when they were hired, as I recall.  Maybe getting back into it would be a better characterization?  Seems to be the story with Colletti too.  I hope, as others have said, he's not a Brady coach or a sidecar to Brady.  I think Brady needs to go. 

In the long run, I think I'd much prefer a younger guy from the Astros or Braves-type organization that has gone thru a rebuild and gotten a team back on track.  But as MooseMilligan keeps saying, I doubt that occurs while Big Pete is alive OR while this team is owned by any Angelos, for that matter.  Part of their management system seems to be that they are not able - despite what they might say to the local rags - to give up  complete control to someone that might (re. probably) know better than they do concerning baseball.  So I don't hold out much hope of getting someone  innovative or self-governing to run things.  I think ownership is intimidated by those qualities.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe they're bringing him in to head that up.  Maybe this signifies a change.

But probably not.  

Maybe when John takes over he will get into the international market. That would be good if they do.

11 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

>Guy who is well versed in stats

>Guy who spends his pool money internationally and has built one of the best farm systems in all of baseball

>Guy who is Italian, won an Emmy for a baseball blog and is 2nd in wins to Cashman in the same time frame

How and why aren't you guys rejoicing at this news? 

I would like him. 

1 hour ago, Hotdiggity said:

Like I said in my first post. By all means, have Ned Colletti. You discount my opinion because I’m a Dodger fan and don’t think I follow the O’s (I do). That’s fine. If you think switching out a bucket of 100% crap with a bucket filled with 90% crap makes the org that much better, then again, by all means. But to me a bucket of $hit is still a bucket of $hit no matter how high it’s piled. 

You act like Colletti pissed on your foot.

43 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

So he's 64 and wears a toupee? Does this mean folks in their 60's all of a sudden aren't qualified? 

64 is just a young kid to Angelos. Also a lot younger than our president. 

Archived